What is this cal??? (bigger than 50BMG)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead

Here is a picture I took of a rifle cartridge while I was at my local FFL today. THe round next to the BIG one is the 50BMG. Anyone seen anything like this? I bet this thing makes a lot of noise!

Attachments

• biggerthan50BMG.jpg
    biggerthan50BMG.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 794

locked'n'cocked

where do you get a gun to shoot that and what do you shoot with it? that might be the biggest case with the smallest bullet in it i have ever seen.

Casp_A

Negavite. That does apear to be a .50 cal something-or-other based on a 20x102mm case, the .50 McMillan FatMac isn't that long. My guess is that's a totally custom job.

Third_Rail

My mistake, the FatMac is much shorter than that. Whatever it is, it's not in the 9th edition of Cartridges of the World.

Dead

Wow you people are GOOD! It is totally custom round (and rifle) based on a 20mm case. I will try to get more details on it later next week.

mohomesteading

A question...

A question...while I understand that we each have our own pleasures with firearms, I have to wonder what you would use that round on. I mean, if you can whack a megafauna critter with a .50 BMG and it is dead, what are you going to shoot with that round? A blue whale? :eek:

And if you aren't able to destroy what you are shooting at with a .50 BMG, you'd better be calling in air support or an artillery company. :eek:

Besides, the dies and reloading press for that round have to be a few hundred dollars at the least. :p

Then again, I guess you could say at the local range, "That's not a Magnum cartridge, THIS is a Magnum cartridge." :D

Still, it would make a great coversation piece. :D

swmike

I'd like a couple of those cartridges. I'd use them for powder storage. Looks like powder would pour nicely. :D :D

locked'n'cocked

would it be possible to get a pic of the rifle? i would like to see the gun that shoots that round. and by the way are those dummy rounds? it looks like the primers on both of them have a firing pin mark in them but it is a slightly grainy pic.

Last edited:

jefnvk

A question...while I understand that we each have our own pleasures with firearms, I have to wonder what you would use that round on.

My guess is uber long target competitions, you know, miles to the target.

Mal H

Staff
That's easy, it's the .50 Ackley Improved and Enlarged. :)

Seriously, the shoulder does look like an Ackley improved shoulder angle. I would not want to be anywhere near that other than several yards behind it when it is fired.

BillCA

I'm not sure it'd be safe to even be behind the gun that fires that!

That'd be the first rifle cartridge that the powder is measured using soup ladles!

Many years ago, when I consumed adult beverages on the weekends, some friends and I tried to work out the method of necking down a .50 BMG to .270 (and absurdly enough, the .18 Bee projectile). Didn't work out (thank god! :eek: ) but we figured with a 34" barrel to burn the propellant the friction would result in melting the bullet into plasma at the muzzle. :D

Hmm.. a .50 BMG in a 20mm case... would we call that 12.7 x 78.7? 12 x 78 sounds better. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.