What is the Purpose of a "Truck Gun".

Are you a fan of keeping a Truck Gun in your vehicle at all times?

• Heck yeah! A Truck Gun is a great idea!

Votes: 50 58.8%
  • Heck no! Truck Guns the dumbest idea EVER!

Votes: 35 41.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mainah

You started a poll about truck guns that depends on a redefinition of that term. A truck gun is something you value enough to get the job done, but wouldn't lose sleep over losing. And sticking with that definition l'd say that there are way too many desperate addicts around for me to leave a weapon in a vehicle that I never lock.

RaySendero

My truck rifle - My definition:

EnfieldNo4MK1_303_3_042708.jpg

chris in va

I suppose a little clarification is warranted. If the gun in question is kept permanently in the vehicle, then 'no'.

If it's a knockabout beater used for protection or whatever 'out in he field' and taken in at the end of the day, then sure.

ThomasT

I didn't vote in your poll because the reason for me having a weapon in my truck is not listed.

I have carried a handgun or rifle or shotgun in my truck for many years. The reason was when I watched the LA riots after the Rodney King trial and saw Reginold Denny get drug out of his truck and hit in the head with a brick. If he would have had something as small as a 22 pistol maybe things would have turned out differently for him. I don't carry a gun to finish off wounded animals or shoot coyotes or other pest. It is purely for my own personal protection.

I don't have a carry permit. I have no great desire to wear a gun. My gun stays in the truck at all times. It is locked and hidden and I doubt you could find it with a 10 minute search. So its not a snatch and go gun for a thief. But it is quickly accessable to me as I am driving. Right now I have a S&W Sigma 9mm with a spare mag. The gun is not a "beater". It is a new gun in perfect shape that has never failed to work.

Anyone who doesn't agree with my choice can flame away. I don't answer to anyone but myself. So do what works for you but I WILL be armed.

pwalston25

I keep an AR pistol with 3 full mags and a full size handgun in my truck at all times. In addition to the one I am carrying, and sometimes I carry 2.

s3779m

I keep a 40 cal in the truck at all times. It is in a lock box. Whereas I understand someone could break into my truck and steal the lock box, that same someone could also break into my house, and then into the gun cabinet. No guaranties in life, so give yourself the best option when you need it.

849ACSO

I keep a loaded handgun in "my truck".

That said, the truck I speak of is my issued patrol vehicle for the agency I work for. The pistol is in a "go bag" in my back floorboard, along with a spare holster, mags, knife, duct tape, para-cord and a flashlight The reason(s) is/are as follows:

Sometimes I'm called out late at night, and in a moment of "haze", it's possible to walk out of the house and try to do "cop stuff" and forget my gun.

I have also had my pistol locked in a lock box in our jail, and ran out of the place to go to a call and found I had forget my pistol in the lock box. In both of those cases, a gun in my vehicle has proved very useful.

I DO NOT leave guns in my personal cars, period.

Clock

I think the term "truck gun" & "tackle box gun" come from a kinder gentler time. People sometimes left their doors unlocked.
In today's climate, leaving a gun in a car or truck untended on a daily basis is asking for trouble. We don't live in Mayberry anymore.
Sometimes, you may have to leave your gun in the car to enter a gun free zone, but that should be the exception rather than the rule.

Prof Young

Sometimes yes . . .

I have left my Savage 42 (OU 22mag and 410) in the truck, in a case, with a trigger lock in place. I get out into the country a lot and you never know when something in season will happen along. (NOT shooting from the road.) But more often than not, it is not in the truck.

I have a good pellet gun that pretty much lives in the truck.

Live well, be safe
Prof Young

Limnophile

My CZ 82 is my dedicated glovebox gun.

When I leave my car it is either securely garaged or, when away from home, the doors are locked (as state law requires if a gun is inside) and monitored by a security alarm. Thus, I am in control of the gun at all times.

I can't recall forgetting my carry gun when leaving home, but there are times when I'm too lazy to gear up or, more frequently, I don't carry when heading somewhere that carry is frowned upon or prohibited. Thus, a dedicated vehicle gun means I'm always armed to some extent.

Should I ever need to arm a passenger while I'm carrying, the dedicated car gun is always available as my backup.

I think most folks who dismiss the concept of a dedicated vehicle gun have succumbed to progressive anti-gun propaganda.

pafc

Maybe my opinion is formed from living in a state with some of the most draconian gun laws in the country, but the concept of a dedicated "truck gun" doesn't sit well with me.

- If you leave your gun in your car, whether or not it's locked, the gun is not in your control. If your car is stolen, so is your gun. And you just supplied a gangbanger with yet another weapon.

- I can't fathom "not losing sleep" over a gun that might be "lost." A lost gun is a gun you are still accountable for.

- Similarly, I'm uncomfortable with the idea of a "knockabout" gun of which I wouldn't be worried about scratching or ruining the finish. A gun being tossed around recklessly on the floor or in a glovebox with (I'm assuming) a loaded chamber is irresponsible.

We're always taught about muzzle discipline and treating a gun like it's loaded even when it's not. A truck gun doesn't seem to jibe with that.

Just my two cents.

Bill DeShivs

I can tell that liberal teachings have affected quite a few of you.

NO ONE has the right to steal anything from anybody! Locking your car doors is as responsible as you need be. If someone steals your car, or your gun, you haven't "supplied" anyone anything. A thief stole something. It's just as easy for them to steal something from your home.

mavracer

If you leave your gun in your car, whether or not it's locked, the gun is not in your control. If your car is stolen, so is your gun. And you just supplied a gangbanger with yet another weapon.

Do you take all your guns with you when you leave your house?

I'm uncomfortable with the idea of a "knockabout" gun of which I wouldn't be worried about scratching or ruining the finish.

Mine is a LEO well used Sig P220 that already has some character.

A gun being tossed around recklessly on the floor or in a glovebox with (I'm assuming) a loaded chamber is irresponsible.

Kind of an extreme stretch there, I'm quite sure nobody here is actually tossing loaded guns mine actually lives in a day planner looking case.

Obambulate

I keep a NAA Black Widow in the center console. Car and gun are garaged 99% of the time, and the other 1% I am either driving the car or carrying the gun.

YungGunz

I keep an old .45 in my car in a really hard to find tear in the seat cushion in case I need to quickly arm my hippy partner while we are out rooting around for saaang (ginseng). I did a fix on the seat so you can't see the tear and drive a beater so no ones gonna try to break into that thing.

Toney

During hunting season I might have a rifle behind the seat of my truck. Invite someone for a hunt and they always show up with a buddy without a rifle...

My truck gun has been a sporterized t99, still though I worry about it rusting... have to bring it in often to oil it down

Bill DeShivs

With home grown terrorism taking place more frequently, a rifle in the trunk is not a bad idea. Maybe you can't get to it, but maybe you CAN.

pafc

NO ONE has the right to steal anything from anybody! Locking your car doors is as responsible as you need be. If someone steals your car, or your gun, you haven't "supplied" anyone anything. A thief stole something. It's just as easy for them to steal something from your home

Except it's not. A thief can break into your car and steal it, not knowing a gun is in there but finding a nice little surprise when strip it at a chop shop. No one can make off with your house.