What is the Purpose of a "Truck Gun".

Are you a fan of keeping a Truck Gun in your vehicle at all times?

• Heck yeah! A Truck Gun is a great idea!

Votes: 50 58.8%
  • Heck no! Truck Guns the dumbest idea EVER!

Votes: 35 41.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

samsmix

FIRST the parameters: this post has nothing to do with "truck guns" in Rural areas, which make a lot more sense. It is meant for a glove boxed handgun that might be a useful self defense tool if you weren't carrying already. It also doesn't apply to the extra one you might throw in the glove box while traveling. I'm talking about 24/7 self defense "truck guns".

I have heard the term a lot, and even toyed with the idea myself a little, but I have always chosen not to. My reason goes something like this:

1. If I am leaving a loaded handgun in the car at all times, then I am not in control of my loaded handgun at all times.

2. If I "forget" my gun when leaving the house, then I am being irresponsible, and leaving loaded weapon around where I cannot be in control of it is like using one instance of irresponsibility to justify being further irresponsible at all times.

3. If I want the ability to arm a buddy, then what I really need to have is a backup, not a "truck gun".

What do you guys and gals think of truck guns, and is it a practice you engage in?

Last edited:

gyvel

"Truck gun" is a term I use to refer to a gun in not real nice external shape, but still mechanically OK, that you can throw in your truck/car and not worry about scratches, dings or other assorted maladies.

I DO NOT, however, leave the gun in the truck/car.

In my world, it just means a gun that is beat up and you can't hurt any more.

mxsailor803

I voted yes and here's why:

1. I'm from a very rural area that we kill predators regularly.

2. I'm not leaving it in the truck. I don't leave my keys in it so why would I leave a gun?

JimmyR

I'll jump in the minority here.

I keep a mid size weapon in my car at all times. I keep it in a safe, locked out of sight, but where I can get to it from the driver's seat. I do this because I work in a healthcare field, and am often in places that do not allow firearms. Instead of me putting a gun on, getting in the car, and taking it off as soon as I get to work, I simply secure it in my vehicle. The gun is as safe in my car as it is in my home, with the same number of locks and concealment to protect it.

g.willikers

Is it still a truck gun if ya' don't actually have a truck?
And if ya' do, isn't a truck gun needed when it breaks an axle and has to be put out of its misery?

Negative. I used to, then my car got towed away. While nothing happened to the car and I got it back. It took me a little bit to realize / find out it was towed away and not stolen.

I had and still have a lock box in my car. But still wouldn't do it.

Cheapshooter

My "truck gun" doesn't fit the definition given by gyvel. It is not a knock around gun, with less than perfect finish, but functioning OK.
For samsmix, when I am not in my vehicle, my "truck gun" is locked in a steel pistol vault, secured to the floor of the vehicle. Nor very accessable to a smash and grab theft.
My idea of a truck gun is one that is kept between my seat, and the center console in an easily accessable manner. Easire to get to than my EDC in its IWB holster, or BUG in my pants pocket.
My choice for a truck gun is larger than what I would carry concealed, but still compact enough to easily handle in the vehicle.
In an atempt to keep this thread from being hijacked by certain haters of brand, and design, I will not mention what it is.:D

Kreyzhorse

I consider a truck gun a beater gun that is mechanicallying sound but can be thrown in a glove box without fear of destroying the finish.

It is not left in the car though. They come out when the driver does.

pblanc

I didn't vote as I don't think my situation applies. I do leave a pistol unattended in my truck at times, but certainly not routinely. When I do, it is stashed in a cubbyhole that also holds my jack but is not directly visible even if the cover to this cubbyhole is removed, and the cover is underneath a seat pad. Needless to say, the weapon would not be immediately accessible.

If someone stole the vehicle, or broke in and made a VERY determined search, they might find it. I often go canoeing in pretty remote areas of the southern Appalachians and either camp or sleep in the back of my truck in these remote areas. When I do, I have the pistol at my side.

If I am doing a multi-day downriver paddling trip I sometimes take a pistol in a Pelican box, but I seldom do for day trips. So during those times it is stashed in the truck.

T. O'Heir

If ya'll don't actually have a truck, ya'll should be over there hanging yer head in shame. snicker.
If you're in the vehicle and not driving in places you wouldn't walk(at night or not), what's the point of a firearm in the vehicle? If you become the victim of a crime, say a car jacking, how do you plan on getting to a firearm in the glove box or other locked container?

samsmix

^^^This is what I was looking for guys, a POV not my own. I DO occasionally have to leave one in my car for short periods when I am required to go into places that do not allow them, like schools & hospitals, but that is just locking up my gun, not keeping a dedicated a truck gun.

I was DEAD SET against it, but it seems like the locked storage is the key.

I HAVE considered a Sub 2000 .40 in a locked mount of some sort, with a couple of mags kept in my lock box. This piece would be a true jack of all trades but master of none, but there isn't much it couldn't do inside 50 or 100 yards either. The .40 even looks kind .41 Mag-ish out of that 16" tube.

Alas, I am on and off of an Air Force base a lot, so it might be more trouble than it is worth.

Cheapshooter

If you're in the vehicle and not driving in places you wouldn't walk(at night or not), what's the point of a firearm in the vehicle?
Not sure about North of the border, but down here sometimes those who live in the places you wouldn't walk in leave their territory for more lucrative places to prey upon others!

If you become the victim of a crime, say a car jacking, how do you plan on getting to a firearm in the glove box or other locked container?
LOL
Locked containers have things called KEYS. They are used to unlock the container allowing the contents to be placed in a convenient location while the owner is in the vehicle.
Providing of course you live in a place that honors it's citizens right to keep and bear arms!

Skeets

Member in memoriam
Truck Gun

YES! My truck takes me out of my comfort zones,my firearm gives me another chance at a safe return.

Boncrayon

What is the Purpose of a "Truck Gun"

A gun in a vehicle should always be accompanied by its owner. Vehicles and purses are the first to be stolen...then the thief-criminal has a gun to boot! A concealed carry (at least in my state) is able to be on the licensed carrier in all cases but in Federal buildings and passenger boarding gates, etc. Also in my State of Louisiana, without a concealed carry can be in my home and my auto, which is an extension of my home.

mavracer

What's with the absolutes and extremes?
IMHO neither option is correct.
I don't think a dedicated truck gun is a bad idea.
But I don't think it's a good idea to "always" leave a gun in the vehicle.

I have one that's usually left in the truck but I'm also never far from my truck;)

Cheapshooter

But I don't think it's a good idea to "always" leave a gun in the vehicle.
Exactly. Let make this clear.When at home, my "truck" gun is put away, not left in my truck overnight. When I travel it is taken into the motel with me at night. With unconstitutional, and repressive laws forbiding CCW in ballparks, and stadiums where you aren't allowed to carry, easy, I don't go there. So the time that my truck gun might be unattended, but cabled to the vecicle, locked in a box which is bolted to tye floor, in a locked compartment is minimal.
I don't carry it in my truck "always", but usually when I am out of my comfort zone, and always when I travel.

Ozzieman

I’m with
on this one. It is a gun that is in less than good shape in finish but functional perfect. When I go out hunting ground hogs I throw my Marlin 44 mag lever action on the floor in the back seat. I purchased it when I was working in a gun store several decades ago. It had been left in a closet in a bathroom and the surface was pitted. Luckily the gun was put there with an excess amount of oil in the action so that was alright. Although the lint in the barrel was amazing (I don’t think I would have shot it as is). Light steal wool and a cheap bluing kit and I keep it oiled. It’s a great gun and shoots very well.
I don’t leave guns in cars or trucks. I also feel that the gun rack in the rear window of a truck driving around town or leaving the vehicle parked like that shows a lack of intelligence.

BigMikey76

There was no middle ground option in the poll, so I went with "no." I don't think a dedicated gun that stays in a vehicle is a good idea. I have 2 reasons for this:

1. If the car gets broken into/stolen, i am arming a criminal.
2. If someone else needs to drive my car and I don't have the opportunity to retrieve my gun first (emergency, I'm unconscious, etc.), and that someone does not have a CCW, there can be some pretty stiff legal consequences.

I do sometimes leave my carry gun in the car (going into the bank, etc.), but never for extended periods of time. I have a cheap Blackhawk holster mounted to the inside of my center console, which is lockable, for just such an occasion, so it is fairly secure. I also place the gun there while I am driving, as it is much easier to get to than when it is in my IWB holster.