What is the most overpriced or overrated semi-auto pistol?

HKFan9

My HK only cost me about $100 more than a similar Glock model and was well worth the extra money in my eyes. Not saying Glock has a bad product but I preferred a USP.

I love 1911's but they are overpriced sadly.

Newer Remington bolt action rifles:barf: not worth their weight it seems. Wish I bought my uncles old 40x when I had the chance.

ImDisaster

I think the "overrated" part is a can of worms. Overpriced is easier, but it is a supply and demand world and you end up with prices people are willing to pay. Having said that, these are the ones that seem high to me.

Most 1911's by a couple hundred bucks. No way a non-custom, heavy, low capacity gun should cost $700.

Most HK's by $200 to $600 bucks. The HK45 should not sell for the $1100 some dealers try to sell it for.

FNfiveseven by $300.

Most new guns when they first come out by $100-$150.

Having said that, I own an overpriced HK45 (because there is nothing quite like it) and will some day probably add a 1911 to my stable of guns (because it is a classic.)

IanS

I think its relative to how much the end user ultimately gets out of the gun.

If the end user shoots a lot, the price of a pistol whether its a $1000 HK or even a $2500 1911 is a small part of the overall cost of ownership compared to the ammo, training, range fee/membership, accessories, (and gas) they'll spend through the life of the gun. If the end user is more of a collector/hobbyiest and the guns are seldom used I'm not sure how much "value" they're getting out of the thing except the smug feeling of owning it. Merely owning and actually using/experiencing it are two different things.

If someone with a $1000 HK or $2500 1911 knows how to shoot it well (or is striving to shoot it well) and uses it a lot that's what matters. Do I think the Glock 17 is the best overall value as the most proven easy/inexpensive to maintain, effective, reliable, and durable handgun over ALL others? Do I think it is the best overall defensive handgun currently manufactured? Yes.:p (Its the player not the violin) Do people get too wrapped up about the esoteric/subjective aspects of handguns when all most people need is a simple hammer to get the job done? Yes. Still.......overpriced and overrated is ultimately relative to what the user actually gets out of their gun.

Citizen Carrier

I was thinking the Springfield Armory Mil-Spec M1911A1.

Looking in the latest GUNS cateloge, it looks like the MSRP for a Mil-Spec is $800+

Huh? Before they introduced the "GI Model", the Mil-Spec was their "affordable" M1911A1.

And it's plain jane. Sure, the slide and frame are forged steel, but does that mean it should have an MSRP that high? It is just a USGI type gun. Standard grip safety and hammer. Fixed sights. Nothing tuned or upgraded or anything.

I can get a High Standard "Camp Perry National Match" model for the same price and it has a Bomar-style rear sight, dovetailed front sight post, tuned trigger, and match-tolerance slide to frame, barrel to slide, barrel to bushing, and bushing to slide fit. I know because I inspected one numerous times at Camp Perry.

I guess it's just a matter of whether or not you care if your slides and frames were built in Brazil or the Phillipines...

robctwo

The best values (cost/function) I have found in handguns have been, in order of purchase, CZ75BD, Sig 226 Sport Stock, Ed Brown Exec Target, used LNIB, Les Baer PII 1.5" guarantee, used, LNIB and Les Baer PII 9mm.

The worst value in one sense, a SA Black Stainless with a terrible trigger. OTOH, it gave me an excuse to replace all the ignition parts, gave me a great feel for the 1911, and showed me the value of paying for a great product up front.

Reload, all your guns are free.

Over priced and over rated?

Totally personal qualification for that. For me, 1911's seem so. Great platform, when I started with handguns, you could always find one for around $200.00 that rattled and shook, but always worked. That was 30+ years ago. Now they, like everything else on this planet are inflated and pricey for what you get. Just my .02.

ImDisaster

ere is why I believe Steyrs are overrated:

....None were reliable with our Gold Dots or ball practice ammunition. Primarily, there were issues with stovepiping and failures to eject.

A short time later, I read an article somewhere about training a tactical team in South America armed with Steyr pistols. The article mentioned major malfunctions team wide (20 plus guns) with these pistols.

I'll admit, they are very controllable and have good ergonomics, they are just unreliable.

My Steyr M9-A1 has been 100% reliable with 10 different kinds of ammo I've fed it.

Chui

Overated and Overpriced: ALL SQUIRREL PISTOLS. Examples? Ruger LCP, Kel-Tec, Glock 26, 27, M&P Compact, 3 inch 1911s, HK P200SK, you get the picture. :confused:

Laserlips

JMOfartO:

Well, I only have three HK pistols... All "A" grade surplus Lower Saxony Police (trade in) imports. I paid $674.25 for each of them and after they arrived from CDNN (two in "like new" condition, one NIB) and I examined and shot them I have come to the conclusion that THESE particular H&K pistols, at the prices I paid, are UNDERPRICED if anything.

I can't speak for any other H&K pistol, but I've been acquiring, selling, trading, giving away, whatever, a pile of 9mm pistols over the past 40+ years, and I've NEVER found one any better made or as inherently accurate as the HK P7. :)

Take it for what it's worth, it's just personal opinion, no offense intended.

Best Wishes,

Jesse

100_8649.jpg

100_8652.jpg

IanS

Originally posted by Chui:

Overated and Overpriced: ALL SQUIRREL PISTOLS. Examples? Ruger LCP, Kel-Tec, Glock 26, 27, M&P Compact, 3 inch 1911s, HK P200SK, you get the picture.

Could you elaborate why you think so? I'm actually a big fan of certain "squirrel pistols" like the G26 and by extension the M&P/C and HK2000SK in 9mm. For their size I think they're the bee's knees. Reliable, durable, and relatively easy to shoot for their small size. Something I'd hesitate to say about other small autos.

HisSoldier

It's like women, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

The value of a handgun, what's it based on? For me, as a machinist, I'm sure that a 1911 built by the same methods as one built in 1916 would cost over $2000 today. The work that went into the gun should have a value. If you can make a gun today that costs $150 to make and works as well does that mean that the gun with all the expensive machining is overpriced? I do not believe that for a second. A hundred years from now no one will be showing off their plastic guns made in 2008, they are junk now and will still be junk then from an intrinsic value standpoint.
As far as function goes that's a totally different side of value. If your idea of value is only in the gun's use then a plastic or aluminum gun may be more valuable to you. If I were packing a gun across the desert for 15 miles I expect a plastic gun would seem very nice. :) But, it still would not be something I'd have pride of ownership in.
Just my opinion. flame away.

NRA-LIFE-MEMBER

This bad boy at $5,499.00 - may be overpriced..

http://www.sigsauer.com/Products/ShowCatalogProductDetails.aspx?categoryid=61&productid=238

P226 X-FIVE BIANCHI
The P226 X-Five, custom built and optimized for Bianchi – the same gun as shot by Ichiro Nagata during the 2008 Bianchi Cup.

Features
- 9mm
- Stainless beavertail frame & slide
- Adjustable single action trigger
- 5” barrel
- Custom Bianchi scope & barricade mount
- Compensator
- Slide quick-cocking handle
- Ergonomic custom wood grip plates
- Special extended magwell
- 15 round magazines (2)
- Optics not included

Specification Value Accessories

Item Number 226X5-9-BIANCHI
Caliber 9mm
Sight Radius N/A
Barrel Length 160mm / 6.3"
Overall Length 265mm / 10.4"
Overall Height 235mm / 9.3"
Overall Width 60mm / 2.4"
Weight 1450g / 3.2lbs
Trigger Pull SA 2 - 3 lbs adjustable
Mag Capacity 15 Rounds
MSRP $5,499.00

ƒORTE

Overpriced...Glocks. They should be in the neighborhood of $300-400 NIB for what you get. Overrated...custom 1911's. The Hk I own is worth the $655 NIB(w/3 mags and NS) I paid a couple months ago. A price like that may reform some of you glock guys.

Last edited:

Van55

Both of my H&K USP pistols are absolutely worth what I paid for them -- to me.

I've never fired one, but it appears to me that the Rohrbaugh R9's are way overpriced for what you get.

Jager78

HK123 is right,
I purchased my HK45 for around $980 brand new, which I've been told is too much. Gander Mountain tries to sell them for around $1100! :eek:

HK pistols are not over priced, they are well worth it. I guess it just depends on who or where you buy from.

I'm not saying that Glocks are over priced (presently) but their prices are steadily increasing more and more ??? Glocks are great guns but once they are going for more than $650 I would have to say then that they are becoming overpriced.

Overpriced guns: Taurus (Although I have to admit they are getting nicer)

Last edited: