What is the lightest trigger that you’d put in an AR SBR/pistol?

rickyrick

I bought a drop in trigger at 4.5lbs still in the packaging.
My AR pistol has the worst trigger of my collection, so I’m considering putting this trigger in it.
Lightest rifle I’ve ever done is 4.5lbs. I personally wouldn’t go lower.
Just curious how light others would go?

weblance

I have 3 lb Timneys in several of mine. Keep the safety on, and your finger off the trigger until ready to fire. I have slammed these guns before trying to get them to fire, and they are just fine. My vote... 3 lbs.

TXAZ

What have you practiced with in a safe environment?
2 lbs is pretty light for a AR semi.
The issue is can you not accidentally bounce fire several rounds inadvertently.
And you have to make sure someone you let shoot it doesn’t cause a disaster.

marine6680

Defensive AR...

5lb Two stage. I might fudge to 4.5lb.

If 5lb, give or take, is a widely accepted standard in a defensive pistol... What makes a rifle different? Nothing... Both are susceptible to the same errors.

For a DMR setup, 3.5lb... maybe go down to 2lb for a dedicated precision setup for range use.

I prefer a two stage for a defensive/fighting rifle...

One of the reasons I like the SSA and G2S triggers is the two stage pull around 5lb, and the break has just a touch of give. They have been tested and are drop safe.

turtlehead

4.5 lbs. I think the LaRue MBTs are just right for my defensive ARs. But I prefer lighter triggers and am used to them.

Which trigger did you buy?

ed308

The lightest triggers I have are Timney AR10 triggers. They are 4 lbs. But I like the LaRue MBTs better.

T. O'Heir

Depends on what you're doing with it. 4.5 is good for a hunting rifle.
"...2 lbs is pretty light for a AR semi..." Yep. Almost guarantees doubling if you stop paying attention for an instant.

9x19

My SBRs all have BCM PNT triggers with JP Ent. yellow springs, and measure between 4.25 - 4.5lbs on my RCBS gauge. They are perfect for my uses.

Nathan

I would shoot for 4.5-6.0 lbs. this is because I expect this gun to be a 0-150 yd gun and light triggers really don't help but can hurt. I would also look for a single stage, I believe. Also, consider you might shoot this type of rifle with gloves and usually fast.

44 AMP

Staff
If 5lb, give or take, is a widely accepted standard in a defensive pistol... What makes a rifle different? Nothing... Both are susceptible to the same errors.

What makes a rifle different?? The stock, perhaps, and the way it's held?

Now, if you are shouldering an AR pistol, probably not a lot of difference, but if you AREN'T??? what then?

Go too light and you have an unreliable inadvertent machine gun. (aka bump fire)

Anyone who actually knows how to use a trigger can tell you that the actual weight in pounds & oz of the pull is LESS important to accuracy than the smoothness, and crispness of the pull.

5lbs of smooth pull with the desired "glass rod" break is more accurate than 3lbs of mush.

Sharkbite

4-5 lb single stage trigger in all my “fast, close” rifles. POF drop in units in all of mine
3-4 lb 2 stage in my DMR type rifles. Rock River makes a good 2 stage match trigger

Like above CRISP beats light, every time.

rickyrick

Which trigger did you buy?
I purchased a POF single stage 4.5lb... impulse buy, not familiar with the company.
Put it in a little while ago with no problem.

A function check and several minutes of dry-firing later, it seems like a great trigger.

rep1954

I like the CMC 3 1/2 lb. tactical and have used it on several guns. I don’t have a AR 15 SBR but have used it on a few AR 15 pistols.

bacardisteve

No sbr but my pistol has a 3lb single stage. Heaviest trigger in any of my semi auto rifles is 4lb. Once you get used to having lighter weight triggers it's really not a problem. Even my hunting rig sports a 3.5lb trigger and I'm often gloved when using it.

FrankenMauser

3.5 lb is the lightest I have in any form of AR.
It's a two-stage with 1.5 lbs for take-up, and another 2 lbs to break.

I don't want to even consider anything lighter than that, unless it's strictly a bench rifle.

My 'good' AR pistol actually has a 6 lb trigger in it. Given the typical use of two hands to fire it, it really isn't a problem. I have triggers twice that heavy on DA revolvers.

Even the majority of my manual repeaters have 4-8 lb triggers. It's what I'm used to, and what I've learned to work with.
I don't need "hair" triggers like my brother's 2.5 oz break on his Rem bolt gun...