What is the ideal weapon for vehicle in your opinion?

What is the ideal weapon for vehicle in your opinion?

• SMG/Machine pistols

Votes: 24 14.1%
  • Revolver

Votes: 44 25.9%
  • Semiautomatic pistol

Votes: 70 41.2%
  • Automatic rifle (select fire)

Votes: 14 8.2%
  • Shotgun

Votes: 15 8.8%
  • Bolt or Lever action rifles

Votes: 3 1.8%

• Total voters

Firepower!

Hi
The title says it all: What is the ideal weapon for vehicle in your opinion? You may want to discuss the logic and reasonong behind your answer. However, let us assume two things. First, the cost of the weapon is not an issue. Second, assume that you are legally allowed to possess any type of weapon, where upon avialability is also a non issue.

Regards,

TXGunNut

I have a 12ga Winchester Defender in each vehicle. Only accessory is a case and a butt-stock ammo carrier. Cheap, versatile and powerful. I may be better armed with an AR but I'm not willing to leave a weapon like that in a vehicle all the time. Many years as a LEO probably influenced my choice, shotguns were standard equipment in almost every vehicle. And cost is always an issue in most real-world situations.

zombieslayer

I voted Revolver because I usually carry one. I'm not too big on leaving guns in my vehicle, but I've had several "truck guns" over the years. If I am going on an extended road trip I'm most apt to bring something like a fullsize revolver or semi.

paul26

i have a kel-tec sub2000 that uses same mags like my glock
easy to fit in a small backpack when folded

raimius

What is the intended use?

Immediate defense from carjacking: I'd probably chose a pistol/PDW for ease of maneuver inside a vehicle.

Patrol gun: semi/select fire rifle.

Hunting: Shotgun or favorite rifle.

Scorch

M1A1 Rocket Launcher
300px-

rjrivero

In Ohio, the decision is made for you. You aren't allowed to carry a loaded long gun in your vehicle, so if you're going to carry, you need to carry a pistol.

As luck would have it, an AR Pistol makes a great "car gun." Ballistics better than the 5.7, 30 round P-Mags, with the manuverability of a short barrel and good accuracy out to "moderate" distances.

What's NOT to like?

picture.php

LordTio3

Best vehicle defense weapon?

View%20from%20the%20Humvee%20Gunner%27s%20Turret.jpg

In all seriousness, my carry weapon becomes my "vehicluar defense" weapon whenever I get into it. I don't really have a proprietary weapon for my vehicle only. Maybe if I didn't live in the middle of town things would be a little different.

Though I did see a White Tail walking down my street a few days ago. Maybe I need a long gun in the car after all.

~LT

7mmWSM

Clarification

The question is a little to vague to answer. Are you talking about shooting from inside your vehicle? In that case a handgun of your choice is the best option. If you are talking about a weapon to grab as you are leaving the vehicle, and I don't know why you would be doing that unless you are being attacked by zombies LOL, would be a high capacity EBR with plenty of extra ammo. So what is the purpose of your vehicle firearm?

stephen426

I didn't notice the part about cost, legality, and availability at first, so I voted pistol.

Inside the car, manuverability is very important since it is a highly confined space. The threats could be coming from all around. Trying to get a long gun into action is difficult, if not impossible. Of course the power of the rounds is a big trade off. A good sub-machinegun pistol such as a Glock 18 or Beretta 93R is probably ideal. The noise is also a factor and handgun rounds will do much less damage to your ears.

Once outside the car, I would probably choose a M-4.

hagar

I carried an M1 carbine with folding stock to back up my pistols for many years when I lived in AZ. I considered that a more than adequate threat deterrent.

Pyzon

When in my home town area, Kel-Tec P-11 in the center console, 12+1 in the pistol, extra 12 in the CD holder on the console lid.

When on the road, Taurus Judge 3" Magnum with home rolled loads of 3" shotshells with brass plated #2's, like 36 pellets at .180" in each round.

In terms of automobile only defense, The Judge (yeah, yeah, I know all of you Judge/Taurus haters out there will start preaching about what a poor choice that particular firearm represents, to each his own, start your own survey) is a better choice due to closer range needs (let's assume it may likely be 5 yards or maybe even less) but overpenetration towards somebody pumping gas across the lot is always a concern. The #2 shot penetrates 8" in gelatin more or less, which will do the job if I can do mine.

In town, I can take out the P-11 and slip it IWB and be good to go out and about.

My 2 cents worth only.

Pyzon

Skans

Glock 17.

1. concealability isn't a factor, so I'll take all 20 rounds, please.
2. Doesn't rust, or even think about rusting.
3. Doesn't melt.
4. Glove compartment dings only improve the looks of Glocks.
5. It doesn't get oil all over everything, because it doesn't have any oil on it.
6. It won't burn your hands after being inside of a 160 degree car all day.
7. It likes to get out and see the world more than my other guns.
8. It's too ugly to fondle while driving.

ClydeFrog

Motor vehicle defense, factors....

In general, I'd suggest a well made DA or DA only revolver over a semi auto pistol for a few reasons. Revolvers can be fired 1 handed or from awkward angles(like inside a car-SUV) w/o limp-wrist or problems like a pistol.
A Ruger AK snub in .454 with .45longcolt loads(backed up by full .454 rounds) or a .44mag(loaded with .44spl) backed up by full .44magnum rounds.
The Ruger can get ported barrels and the Crimsontrace lasergrip too. :)

In a car-jack or vehicle ambush, I'd want some high KE level, high vel to punch through auto glass, car doors, frames, etc. Some larger pistol calibers may be suited for it but as I stated, it's not real easy to drive, shoot & fend off attackers. Even if you were 007 & 3/4 or a super SAS/SEAL commando that would be difficult.
As I've posted on other message boards, I'd think the big Ruger AK snub or a S&W N frame .41magnum, .44magnum could have a intimidation factor too.
Guns aren't toys or props but if you had someone advance on you in a threating manner and you draw a loaded AK revolver with a bright red laser that could end things very quick.

Clydefrog