What is the deal with the re-hashing of older designs??

jetinteriorguy

To be clear, this is NOT a complaint or gripe.

Merely noticing that with the release of the SA-35 by Springfield Armory, and myriad other companies offering their new version of it, that bringing the old into the current age seems to be a thing now.

I just read that SIG is releasing an updated version of the P210 for carry.

I hate to be the one to ask this question, but is the firearms industry running out of ideas for new things to release?
My guess is because the price of a nice HiPower skyrocketed once they were discontinued and has remained high consistently for enough time, some manufacturers realized there is a market for a nice clone at a reasonable price. Then they figured out how to produce them economically enough to meet this demand, and here we are.

BornFighting88

I'd buy that argument!

Hey firearm industry!!! Next one to find an affordable way to produce, the P08 Luger.

I know it has been tried before and couldn't be streamlined or made cheaper, but someone has got to have a way.

TunnelRat

people are looking for artistry, rather than raw functionality, or tactical styling, IMHO.

I have more functional, tactical handguns than I know what to do with. I also have a 1911 and a S&W Model 19. I carry neither, but I enjoy shooting them and I like how they look. The same is true of the milsurp rifles I own. I’m admittedly bored easily and picking up something different helps me deal with that. If it’s something that has some historical significance that can add to the interest.

I honestly think that when it comes to handguns, there’s not a lot more to be done in terms of affordable, mass production pistols. I’d like a Laugo Arms Alien, but I can’t rationalize the cost to myself. The Browning, tilting barrel design feeding from a detachable magazine has been in production for decades because it’s reliable and not cost prohibitive to produce relative to the prices the market accepts. We’re still shooting cartridges that are over 100 years old now. Necessity is often the mother of invention, and I don’t think most manufacturers feel the “need” Tudor something new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shadow9mm

I have more functional, tactical handguns than I know what to do with. I also have a 1911 and a S&W Model 19. I carry neither, but I enjoy shooting them and I like how they look. The same is true of the milsurp rifles I own. I’m admittedly bored easily and picking up something different helps me deal with that. If it’s something that has some historical significance that can add to the interest.

I honestly think that when it comes to handguns, there’s not a lot more to be done in terms of affordable, mass production pistols. I’d like a Laugo Arms Alien, but I can’t rationalize the cost to myself. The Browning, tilting barrel design feeding from a detachable magazine has been in production for decades because it’s reliable and not cost prohibitive to produce relative to the prices the market accepts. We’re still shooting cartridges that are over 100 years old now. Necessity is often the mother of invention, and I don’t think most manufacturers feel the “need” Tudor something new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My guess is that, without a genius for our Era, we will only see small incremental refinements. And those can be hard to sell.