What is the deal with the re-hashing of older designs??

BornFighting88

To be clear, this is NOT a complaint or gripe.

Merely noticing that with the release of the SA-35 by Springfield Armory, and myriad other companies offering their new version of it, that bringing the old into the current age seems to be a thing now.

I just read that SIG is releasing an updated version of the P210 for carry.

I hate to be the one to ask this question, but is the firearms industry running out of ideas for new things to release?

Last edited:

chadio

I find the 'new' Hi Power (Springfield and FN) extremely interesting, same with the P210 carry. More so than any new polymer offering.

Is there not a re-hash of the 1911 in countless ways?

44 AMP

Staff
Besides nostalgia and classic looks, there is also the "time tested design" confidence factor.

Even with modern "upgrades" the older designs have been through about everything conceivable, and if there is something that is a problem with a gun, odds are very high someone else has also had it, and the solution is known.

and no, I don't care for the "fantastic plastic" so common today, either. ;)

JustJake

market for nostalgia
True, ... but that market will smile and throw money at these “re-dos” of old school firearms only if they actually work.

S.A.’s version of Browning’s classic P-35 Hi-Power didn’t.

S.A. got flooded with numerous complaints about jamming, FTFs, etc, as well as irritated calls to customer service for return-shipping labels for warranty work. So much so in fact that production of the gun was stifled until the bugs are worked out.

It’s 2022. Nostalgia alone only gets you so far. :rolleyes:

wild cat mccane

Look at the main gun buying demographic, older genX and Boomer white males.

Despite talk of inflation, wages are up for the group,

The group is nearing or entered retirement with savings,

The group is highly nostalgic.

eflyguy

My family has a habit of collecting classic cars.

Some people like to collect classic guns. Perhaps some of those like reproductions of classics no longer available (or out of reach)?

I own a "modern" Ruger SR1911, I know it's not an antique. It's one of only two "just for fun" firearms I won.

Different strokes.

Eddiejoe

This is important. If someone collects classic cars, does he/she use them as daily drivers? Some do. Others keep them under-used in order to preserve value.
The same might be said for guns. The original Colt Python with a perfect finish, desired bbl, box and paperwork might be a safe queen, with a modern version used as a shooter.

44 AMP

Staff
S.A. got flooded with numerous complaints about jamming, FTFs, etc, as well as irritated calls to customer service for return-shipping labels for warranty work. So much so in fact that production of the gun was stifled until the bugs are worked out.

Is this referring to the SA-35?

Friend of mine has one, his is currently unfired, so I can't say about that one but the shop he goes through has sold about a dozen of them, and None have had any issues and two of them have been sent off by their owners for customization. NOT repair.

They've also sold 5 new Pythons....3 of them had to go back to Colt!

JustJake

Is this referring to the SA-35?
Yes, the new one.

Google-fu it for the details.

gwpercle

Good designs don't fade away .
Haven't you ever wondered why the Single Action Colt Revolver (1873) just keeps rolling along . Not only made by Colt but Ruger and others ... it's a good design .
Untill something better comes along the 1911 45 acp , the Browning Hi-Power 9mm luger and the Colt SAA in 45 Colt will just keep on keeping on ...
Gary

Pahoo

New and improved "classics"

Merely noticing that with the release of the SA-35 by Springfield Armory, and myriad other companies offering their new version of it, that bringing the old into the current age seems to be a thing now.
Not just a new version but new and improved. There are some firearms that are considered "Classics" and John browning invented two of them. I know a fella who has eight 1911's and paid dearly for a few. ..... ;)

I know how you feel as another classic, to me, is the Ruger MK-family. The .22 auto pistol is really all you need and we are now up to the MK-IV as well as so many variants that I've lost track of. ..... :confused:

Be Safe !!!

Butzbach

To be clear, this is NOT a complaint or gripe.

I just read that SIG is releasing an updated version of the P210 for carry.

I hate to be the one to ask this question, but is the firearms industry running out of ideas for new things to release?
Have you ever fired a Hi Power?

44caliberkid

Modern polymer pistols are economical, reliable, accurate, and durable. They are great tools and recreational entertainment. They are great for our current minimalist, throw away society. But they will never be “classics”.
Real iron and steel (even aluminum) have a lasting appeal for many people. These 100 to 150 year old designs are steeped in history.

mk70ss

Quote: “How about they "rehash" DA/SA as an action style for carry guns?”

Have you ever looked at CZ’s?