What is good shot placement???

Dr45ACP

Several threads talk about the importance of shot placement over caliber. Certainly, shot placement is of extreme importance.

But what is good shot placement?

Sounds like an easy question, but I am not sure it is.

Consider 2 identical bullets striking 2 identical people in the chest at exactly the same location. They probably wont have the same injuries. One may die on the spot, the other may not be hurt much at all. Luck is important after the bullet hits the target.

Shot placement is a variable that is only somewhat under the shooter's control, even with a high level of training.

Stephen A. Camp

Staff In Memoriam
Hello, sir. You are truly correct. A pathologist I quizzed on "stopping power" and the like repeated what I've read in the literature: "No two bullet wounds are the same." In my opinion and as has pretty well been proven, most commonly used handgun calibers are really pretty minimal in power when trying to instantly "stop" a determined 200lb biped, especially when considering that long arms can fail even with "good" hits, just not as often.

Even with headshots, one cannot count 100% on a stop. It depends, crazy as it sounds, on what part of the brain is hit and how much damage is done to the portion of the brain controlling breathing, heartbeat, etc. I'm no doctor and this seems incredible, but the cases are out there. I do suspect, but cannot prove, that most of these headshot failures with centerfire rounds .380 and up involve very limited penetration of the brain itself.

I think that we must go for an area roughly the size of a coffee cup saucer in the high center of the chest assuming a straight-on shot and make oblique shots with placement that tries to put a bullet from the side, etc. I know that this is difficult, but does that lessen its necessity?

If we're trying to put an armed aggressor down with a handgun, there's little that we can control as has been noted. Our skill and placement over caliber/load will be the main determinants in my opinion, but that does not mean that some calibers might not be better than others as are some loads.

I'm quite comfortable with 9mm, .45ACP, .38 Super, and .357Magnum with the "better" loads, but I think that IF I'm to deck an opponent for physiological rather than psychological reasons, I have got to make the shot.

Others will likely have differing opinions and that is certainly fine. I claim neither sage or oracle status. We should use what we can hit with and have faith in as entering a fight not trusting one's equipment is detrimental and we're in enough "hot water" without that.

Just don't place blind faith in this or that gun or caliber.
It IS a deadly weapon, but it true "deadliness" depends upon the skill and willingness of the user to actually shoot and shoot accurately.

Best to all and let's hope that none of us get into such a situation.

Dr45ACP

Quantum:

That shot should do the trick. But not definitely. Only 70% of gunshot wounds to the brain are fatal...

BobR

As an RN, one of the things I had to learn was human anatomy. I believe the reason the upper center chest is chosen a placement of choice is as it is in nearly every mammal. At that portion of the anatomy there are major blood vessels (aorta, pulmonary artery/vein, superior vena cava, inferior vena cava and lastly, the heart (pump). It is also a very easy point to shoot/aim at. Center of Mass is how I learned it..but it really is a little above.

After learning anatomy I think I would personaly aim a little low and to the left (my right) of center of mass. I have seen what happens to a person if their ventricles suddenly stop working. Loss of ability to function, usually loss of conciousness happens very rapidly if the venticles stop pumping oxgyenated blood.

Another place I have thought of as a resonably good place to put bullets, esp mousegun calibers, is the liver. While it may not stop a quickly, in the long term the person will most likely expire without immediate aid. The liver is a very vascular organ, bleeds a lot and is hard to repair.

These are just my beliefs, they may be wrong, or may be right depending on your opinion.

I have included a link to an anatomy site where you can click on different parts to see the layout of the major chest organs and vessels.

http://www.innerbody.com/htm/body.html

just click on the image of the thoracic (chest) cavity when you get there.

Quantum..I have seen a gunshot between the eyes (actually a little above) with a 9mm and the bullet stopped in the sinuses!?! The guy walked out about 10 days later!

My last word on this is: Anyone worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.;)

O

olazul

good question,

Shot placement only has to do with increasing the odds of a physiologic stop.

While only 70% of penetrating injuries to the brain are fatal; nearly 100% of those that cross the midline in the calvarium are fatal.

You can live without one half of your brain as long as that half is on the same side.

Clinical correlation- anti gunners :).

regards,

Olazul

Mikey

We should also be mindful that a "stop" doesn't necessarily imply "fatal". The best chance for a sure stop is a Central Nervous system hit, the smallest of all targets. These hits are not always fatal but almost always produce a "stop", which is what we are trying to achieve after all. The intent is to neutralize the threat not necessarily to kill - a very fine line to be sure.

Thinking in terms of game hunting, a "good" hit in the lungs, heart or other major organs and arteries will produce a kill, given enough time for hydraulic failure. That's a great strategy for deer but it ain't healthy on a charging Cape Buffalo. For the latter (and for attacking humans) you go for CNS hits or hits that "break down" the target like a shoulder shot on a Buff or a pelvic hit on an attacker.

Take out the control center and the running gear. With either target you do the best you can at shot placement and keep doing it until the target meets mother earth or you get gored. Hopefully the former.

Mikey

That shot should do the trick. But not definitely. Only 70% of gunshot wounds to the brain are fatal...

Agreed...BUT, it would hurt! It also has a very good chance of STOPPING the attacker. There is a difference between killing power and stopping power IMO.

Jody Hudson

My opinion, as a farm boy, having had to shoot and slaughter animals and having hunted for food... is that speed of stopping is determined by spinal cord severance near the brain and brain explosion. All my experience with chest shots and from thousands of same by my neighbors is that chest shots are slow to stop anything... too slow...

I have always been a head shot hunter and before we had game wardens I used a .22 on everything when I could. Head shots are harder to make of course but from speaking with folks who do shoot in the line of duty -- they are fond of head shots too.

True, there are failures in head shots as well. Thus my OPINION has been that if I have to -- I plan to go two or three to the upper chest and then walk up the center to the tip of the nose and put the last three or four there.

I pray to God I never have to test this on any human.
Having shot a lot of feral dogs and cats as well as roosters (the toughest to kill of anything) a couple of pigs a couple of large cattle a horse, a tough possum and some deer -- I don't trust any number of shots to the body and would not trust one to the head either.

If 8 12 ga. slugs and buckshot to the chest were not enough to stop a bad guy FAST, as in the case of my police friend's partner, I certainly don't trust the speed of anything to stop with a COM shot or shots or even lots of shots. One shot kill... sure but how long did it take for him to die... in the case of the cop... he took long enough to die that the BG took the shotgun from the cop and beat the cop to death with the empty gun then ran nearly 100 yards with a chest turned into meat soup.

Lord help us... we had another violent incident here in our area today, supposedly! I am beginning to think of getting a permit and after reading this and thinking about what I know of animals and hunting... I am now planning on two to the chest and then four to the center of the skull --- but then what about the other four BGs that might be with the first one... as they are running in packs more and more it seems to me.

Stephen A. Camp

Staff In Memoriam
Hello. I posted this a short time ago at another site, but perhaps it would be of use here.

Jeff Cooper some years ago opined that no one person
could personally "see" enough combat to absolutely know what round is best for this or that and I agree.

I do not argue on "stopping power" issues. I merely report what I've personally seen in either the shooting of felons by officers or what I take to be true from sources and note the source rather than implying that I'd seen it firsthand.
The reports on animals are first-hand, shot by me, or witnessed by me, usually the former. I claim no "expert status" on any of this for I believe what Jeff Cooper said.

It's always been beyond my understanding why some folks do seem to take personal offense at the thought that the XYZ round is not instantly recognized and declared the ultimate "stopper" or how anyone can fail to see that this brand/type/action handgun is the very best!

In my view, ever since I worked on a "shooting case" where a subject instantly stopped and killed a knife-wielding attacker with a Raven .25 using FMJ bullets a short time after a felon outran several officers after being hit with a .357 Magnum (don't remember the load, but I THINK it was 158 gr LSWC, full-house load), .45ACP (230 gr FMJ), and a .38 Spec (S&W 125 gr JHP), my view has been that placement is the primary determinant in "stopping power." Is it more difficult under combat conditions? You bet. That doesn't make it any less true. Sorry, but it is what it is.

ALL commonly-used defensive handgun rounds are underpowered and that is certainly the view of many much more knowledgeable than I, but some do appear better than others in the event that our aim is a tad off. I'd certainly rather punch the aorta or heart with an expanding centerfire than a .22lr or .25ACP simply to blow a bigger hole or I'd just carry a .22 target pistol, after testing thousands of rounds as rimfire ammo, it simply is not as reliable as centerfire. It's quite good, but due to the way that the priming compounds spun in liquid form into the rim, there's no way to see if the compound's all the way around, etc. I have more failures to fire with rimfire ammo than centerfire.

My "armchair commando" view of how the high performance rounds "beat" traditional loads may be a bit different than some.

I believe that most will agree that people who are shot stop from either physiological reasons (they have to) or psychological reasons (they want to). I prefer to count on the former. I think that the "torso hit" as defined by Marshall and Sanow is far too large an area to count on for "stopping" determined aggressors. They had to do it to get enough information for stats, etc, but I truly think that the area we MUST hit to "stop" is about the size of a coffee cup saucer, high center chest toward the top half of the sternum. Too much either side of that and you pop but one lung and give "walking pneumonia" to the target, serious, but often not a "stop." A pinwheel center hit is probably going to do the trick whether it's .380, .38, 9mm, or
.45ACP. If it's a bit off but still in the general "saucer's" area, the high-performance stuff begins to make a
difference. I do not believe that a hit in the guts with a .44 Mag loaded with JHPs will be as physiologcially
damaging as a sternum hit with a .380ACP..........but I'd rather be using the .44 in a fight!

Of course, the expanding bullets do limit the overpenetration problems/concerns mentioned by many and
is a consideration in my view as well. I do think that it's worried about more than it happens, but I sure could be wrong in that I've not checked any stats or read up on that in years. I do know that in hostage situations, one wants low-penetration rounds so it follows that the same could be the round of choice in general face-to-face encounters that may or may not be in crowded areas.

One other example of "stopping power vs placement" that I've mentioned before: Back to the killer javelina! I witnessed a fellow who could not shoot, or at least didn't, shoot a javelina 4 times with a .45-70 rifle using JSP factory ammo.
I do not remember the weight, but I think the bullets were in the area of 270 gr to 300 grains. It did NOT stop. I finally got rather tired of this and figured the javelina was too, so I killed it with one shot from my Browning HP.
I'd cleanly dropped several that morning with the same HP and had seen others doing the same with .45ACPs. Does this mean that the forty-fives and my nine were more potent than the .45-70 rifle? Obviously not! The difference was simply the placement. The bird with the rifle was hitting guts, hips, lower front leg and such. He was shooting at the javelina and not a particular point on the javelina and he simply couldn't shoot under pressure!

An "armchair commando" officer that used to work for me was forced to "stop" a dope dealer who was trying to kill him. The officer shot the suspect one time, center chest, with a 9mm Beretta 92 loaded with Federal 124 gr Plus P factory ammo. The felon "stopped" and became "reformed" before he hit the ground! I saw the autopsy photos of the heart. The through-and-through heart wound was about an inch in diameter. Placement!

On the other hand, two officers that worked under my command were forced to shoot a burglar trying to do them harm when cornered. He took a full blast from a 12 ga Winchester pump at point blank range (WW #4 buck). The wound, also center chest, was the oft-described "rat hole" measuring about 3 - 4" in diameter! His heart was literally shredded. At the same instant, the other officer popped him in the neck (side to side) with a Remington 125 gr JHP (full-house load), but managed to miss the spine, major arteries, and the esophagus! Exit wound appeared about an inch in ragged diameter. Anyway, this dude, after being hit, looked at the officer with the shotgun and said, "I didn't think you would shoot me." He tried to say something else, but began gurgling too much. He slowly SAT down in a utility room near the washing machine and leaned back against the wall and died. Obviously, he could have fired instead of talking had
he chosen to do so. Thus, I reiterate that all handgun rounds normally used for self-defense purposes are
lacking in terms of raw power. We use them because they are convenient and can be with us much more than long arms.

So what of individual round's stopping power? Assuming similar or appropriate construction for caliber, I
believe that the .357 SIG, .357Magnum, .40S&W, and .45ACP all can be had in loads that will outperform my nines. I have practically no experience with the .357 SIG, but based on the numbers, I believe I have an idea of what it'll do. I also think that .38 Super can outshine the nine. Right now I'd likely choose either a Browning HP or CZ75 in 9mm or a Kimber 1911 in .45ACP with the loads of my choice if forced to use a pistol in a gunfight. Others would pick something from the other choices and that's fine, too. I believe that if I can stay in that "saucer," it makes not too much difference.

Sorry to go on so long, but thought you might find it interesting.

Boiled down, I guess this means that when we're doing so little damage-wise with a pistol, we have to do it in the right place.

Best to all.

Dr45ACP: You say that only about 70% of GSWs to the head are fatal; that may be true but a .45 between the eyes will ALWAYS be in the top 30%.

nwgunman

Good shot placement is a round that hits the "bad guy", doesn't hit the 8yr old little girl (an only child of a lawyer) who happens to be standing beside (or behind, or in front of, etc) the "bad guy", and is one which instantly convinces the "bad" guy to immediately cease his actions which placed you in the immediate and inescapable threat of death or grave bodily harm in the first place. All this while peeing in your pants, screaming, jumping around, etc, while the "bad guy" is shooting at you. In other words, "good shot placement" is a friggin miracle. Stay safe.

George Hill

Staff Alumnus
The Brief lectures we got on homicide in my police academy indicate that the .45 ACP with a contact shot to head in an angle from BETWEEN THE EYES throught the center mass of the skull or from the opposite end of that vector is indeed 100% One Shot Stop.
Same goes for rifles of .223 caliber and above and Shotguns from .410 and above.

WESHOOT2

I have never shot at anyone, but if I ever need to I'll be shooting at the biggest piece showing. I'll no doubt revert to training and shoot two minimum into COM, and perhaps if ANY movement is still detected, fire a half-dozen more. Or more, counting on which gun is in my hand at the time. Less, if it's one of my wheels.

I don't consider handguns to be "death-rays", I consider them to be just what they are, so I train to fire more than one shot, and I train to hit the "upper panel" in all my shooting exercises.

David Blinder

Let me add a twist to this. Would you rather place shots very close together and create 1 big hole in a small area or have them spread out a bit (area your hand can cover) and produce trauma to larger area and potentially hit more vital body parts? I've heard arguments for both so what's the verdict?

Dr45ACP

Several other things have to be right before a 45 between the eyes can be considered a 100% 1 shot stop.

All we can really do is to aim for the spot "between the eyes". As crazy as it sounds, if you are shooting from an odd angle, an entry wound between the eyes may not hit anything important. What happens to the bullet after it enters the badguy is out of the shooters control. It might glance off the skull.

And that is my point in beginning this thread. I would consider a shot between the eyes a wonderful example of shot placement. Yes, it "should" result in a stop. But it might not. Shot placement is a variable that cannot be fully controlled -- what happens to the bullet after the trigger is pulled is no longer under the shooters control. Certainly we should strive for good shot placement, but training will not ensure this will happen. Luck plays a role as well.

Its been my experience that badguys in general are pretty lucky when it comes to getting shot; and the badder the guy the luckier he seems to be.

PKN

It is possible to achive shot placement under stress. Just ask any IPSC/IDPA shooter. I realize this is not a life and death situation(far from it), but the effect on heart rate, breathing, ect, can be similar. I've seen people make upper panel shots at over 20 yds in competition. Possible, yes, easy, no.....

George Hill

Staff Alumnus
True Life.
Nations Bank robbery in Richmond VA - back in 96 or 97.
Two heavily armed thugs busted into to bank and started firing... It was just as bad as the Bank of America robbery in LA... just not videod for Prime Time coverage.
Security Officer, armed with a .38 that he couldn't draw from due to holster was too small for the weapon.
He was shot through the head. .223 from an AR 15 traveled right behind both eyes.
Guard is today still alive - but blinded from severed optic nerves.