What is Colt Making Now?

ahenry

From the www.1911forum.com.

This is all cut and paste from an employee with Colt.

Hi, I am the General Foreman of Handguns at Colt. I met a lot of great people at the Shot Show last week. Col.Colt hooked me up with this sight, If I can be of any help answering questions feel free to ask.
Just to clarify things a bit guys, I joined this sight because I am a fan of the 1911, in no way should anyone consider me a spokesman for the company. I make guns not policy, all I am trying to do is spread the word.
Mark
Change in finish, just last week I received approval to change the total sanblast finish of the 1991A1 government length carbon and stainless models. The new finish will be a polished finish on the side of the slide, the receiver will continue to total sandblast finish.
At the Shot Show we told everyone that we would be coning out with the Python in the Spring, followed by the Annaconda mid year and the Magnum Carry at the end of the year. Due parts availability, and listening to what people want, the following will take place. Limited quantities of Annaconda's will start to be produced in June and July, not to exceed 1000 units. The Python will begin production in August to the tune of less than 100 per month, right now only in 6" stainless. This is the gun that sells the best if other models are desired the company needs the info on preference from the public.
The Magnum Carry has been tabled for the time being. Instead we will come back with one model of the 380, I believe it will be the Pocketlite model.
Guys, new prices are a little steep, cost to manufacture in a union shop in CT is not cheap and we need to maintain a decent margin in order to stay healthy. Look at it this way in 1969 you could buy a new car for around $3500 and a new Python for two or three hundred bucks, now a new car will run you more than 20k. And a new Python will run you about 1K. So keep things in perspective.
Mark

Originally posted by 225ACP:
3000 per month is not much production. What is the reason production is so low. Is it an agreement or what? Also does Colt still produce the Special Combat Government Competition? I would like one as I am not interested in another Gold Cup for the time anyway.

There is absolutely no agreement with anyone, 3000 is just what internal conditions will alow for the time being. The Special combat Government is available thru the Custom Shop.
Mark

There it is, take it or leave it.