What is Colt Making Now?

lonegunman

What 1911 type auto is Colt making now? I know 1991's but what about XS and XSE? There website doesnt even mention these.

To my knowledge, nothing. Everything being sold now is from Colt's parts bins and is being assembled by an outside company. Can't remember their name right now.

Robert

glockjeeper

Uhh, Robert, I think you better check out your sources a little better. Colt IS making their own handguns, they are not be contracted out to anyone else. Granted, they have fallen on some hard times, but they are coming back, slowly but surely. Currently they are making the M1991A1, the Defender, a couple of custom shop pieces, and the XSE. The only one I've personally seen of any quantity though is the '91 and the Defender. More so the '91.

glockjeeper

We had this very same conversation here at the TFL well over a year ago and what I am saying is well known in the industry and no big secret either. My sources are quite sound.

Only reason why Colt had fallen into hard times was lack of innovation and proper tooling (machinery!) and supporting the wrong team when it comes to politic. With the small number of gun being delivered to store shelves, not quite enough to stay afloat either.

Robert

RikWriter

If Colt is making ANYTHING, none of it is coming through this part of the country. I haven't seen a new Colt around here in a shop or at a show for about two years.

Jason Demond

http://www.colt.com/colt/html/a2_coltfirearms.html
http://www.colt.com/colt/html/a1_newfirearms.html
a2c2_speccomgovt.gif

Lightsped

Besides the 1991A1s, and other similar semiauto models, Colt is also about ready (or maybe already is) to make the Anaconda and Python wheelguns again....

Dfariswheel

This is what happens to a great company when the MBA bean counters get control. Colt's problems started just after WWII, when Colt became a corporation, and firearms was just a division. Every year or so, a new president rode into town, and had to show the upper management he was doing something. This is why we had guns introduced, canceled, re-introduced, canceled forever, then re-introduced again.
Coupled with the most bitter labor dispute possible, this set them up to fall.
This Warton/Harvard Master of Business crap destroyed any number of companies. The MBA therory is: Ignore EVERYTHING except the financal bottom line. Everything else, (especially the production side), will take care of it's self. This is why any number of companies showed a Quarterly profit, right up to the day the Marshals put a lock on the door.
I hope they come back, I miss my new Colt's.

orlando5

The problem with Colts and the rest of the US gun industries is that they don't innovate. They keep recycling old product design and these has lead gun companies like Glock, Sig, HK, etc. to take the majority of US sales.

44rugerfan

Ruger is a constant innovator when it comes to firearms. Seems every year they come out with something new or tweak an old product. Perhaps that is why they are the largest supplier of firearms to private citizens...

BB

Ruger "innovative"? Hardly. What has Ruger made that is innovative? Ruger has the Lions share of the market because Ruger is in bed with the liberals, making deals with gungrabbers to protect their own products from bans and lawsuits.

Coop57

Ruger innovative? Hardly. They make great wheelguns but their line of semiautos is durable but not accurate or innovative. The .22LR semiautos are an exception.
But from a marketing standpoint the name Ruger does not bring "innovative" to mind.

INDIAN BOB

Colt's still around?

Sorry about Colt, when I sstarted in LE in 1965 the Python,Colt 357,OP matched anything on the market, but, now what they had back then is what they have today. So it's made from Stainless Steel, so what? In the area around Tulsa if you can find a good used
combat Commander in any caliber it costs a thousand dollars., and it's a hundred year old design. My interest in handguns is one I can defend myself with, when was the last time you saw a LEO carrying a Single action Auto; They border on irrelevency and charge big bucks to buy it.

Kentucky Rifle

Mustang??

I've read more than one post saying Colt is going to bring back the Mustang line soon. I sure hope they do!

Kentucky Rifle

RickB

The 1911 borders on irrelevancy? Hmmmmm. When was the last time someone serious judged a handgun's relevancy by how many cops carried it? Sort of like saying the best car in the world is the one that cabbies drive, isn't it?