What is a "Hog Shield"? GREAT PIC!

Intentional notching isn't done on the ear tips by anyone that knows hogs. Ear notching was mainly done when hogs were "free ranged" then gathered later for slaughter...

Actually Brent, this is wrong. Ear notching can and is often done near the tips including removal of the tips. It is done for producing hogs and not just for "free ranged" hogs, by people who know what they are doing as well.

http://aces.nmsu.edu/pubs/_b/b-602.pdf
http://www.ianr.unl.edu/ianr/anisci/swine/nf93-113.htm
agsc.tamu.edu/lessonplan/file.asp?ID=1020&clm=3

Ear notching isn't just to identify ownership of the pig, but particular litters and individuals within litters such that each pig can be properly identified as per status (age, sex, shots, medical treatments, etc.).

Head (brain), behind the ear (brain stem, spine), neck, heart/lungs area, liver area (may be a decent tracking job). Nothing really changes on a pig from other animals in terms of placement, but if shooting through a thick shield, you might do better with a better caliber choice. Shields aren't magic and not bullet proof, but they do well with some smaller and some slower calibers.

Uncle Buck

We used to notch our piglets. Right ear, male, Left ear, female. (Two notches in the right it was a barrow, or soon would be. :)) We quit doing the teeth because we were afraid of infections and raising them on dirt they have enough room anyway.

Wife bought a few pig the other night... Guess we'll be notching in the spring.

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
The way I prefer to dispatch these buggers is goin' different than most folks...

I use either my Gamo 1,000fps .177 cal loaded with an 8 grain pellet or my .22 Savage with a bulk box hollow point.

I shoot him in the noodle bowl at hair singeing proximity.

Since we use dogs, I get the options most hunters do not.
I can shoot him in the woods ('cept we don't even tote firearms for the most part), stick him with the Buck 110 or tie him up and haul him to a "hog strong" pen.

The latter is our preferred method. They calm down so long as you keep feed and water available and the dogs away...

After several days or a week... or more, I go out at night with his feed, and when he puts is head in the bucket, I drop him...

Makes for the best possible meat quality...

There is no delay from time of death to beginning processing. He has not recently been run so adrenaline in the meat has been absorbed or diluted.

But for hunting... if you look at his shield you would want to aim for just behind the low rearward corner of the shield... That is heart location.

Many people will fib and say there is no anatomical difference in deer and hogs... This cannot be further from the truth.

They are far easier to miss the heart or gut shoot one than a deer...

The lungs are often quite well protected behind a shield from all but the higher energy loads...

Me? This hog? I wouldn't expect a .30-30 at 60-75 yards to even make this guy limp on that front leg... A .30-06 at some distance won't penetrate but with the added energy, it might break the shoulder down enough to let me get a second shot off.

But I don't like to damage so much good meat and I don't like "head cheese" so my method is a "no brainer" (pun intended)...
Brent

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
Naw that is a sneeze shield... If it were a hog shield, it would be lower making you reach up and over for another scoop of sub-par mac and cheese...:D

Brent