What is a good youth 22 rifle?

Mauser8mm

Mossberg

I was gonna recommend that, but it is only a single shot. Savage makes other bolt actions for around 200 that aren't so ugly! Look at Mossberg's site, they make bolt actions, and they make a "bantam" version that is shorter. They are good guns going for around $200. Check out the 802 plinkster bantam. Very nice rifle, and goes for about $216 brand new. Also, check out Mossberg's Half Pint 22. Not sure if it can be scoped, but it goes for around the same price, and like the plinkster it has a detachable magazine. Hope I helped, let us know what you decide on!

wyobohunter

Another vote for the Cricket. My 6 year old loves hers. It's still a bit long for her but I help aim. She'll love it even more when she can do it all by herself.

Last edited:

Mike1

I've had a Chipmunk for the little people for a very long time. The peep sight doesn't look like much, but with it the gun is very accurate. So much so that I've carried it in a backpack on hikes during rabbit season, and have actually taken a couple of bunnies with it myself.

Keg

Well g-son got his 22 rifle yesterday....After I inspected it..I feel we made the right choice....The Savage Rascal is a really good kids gun....It did not take him long to master it....hahaaa....I think his daddy is gonna have to stock up on 22 rounds.....:D

OEF-Vet

Glad to hear it! Thanks for the update and no matter the gun you chose the important part is the time you will share with your son and grandson. Nothing I can think of brought as much joy to me as a kid as shooting with my Granddad and hunting with my Dad and Uncle. The conversations and life lessons shared with me during those times has helped shape the father, uncle and grandfather I am today.

Torch

Another vote for the Crickett. As a father to six with a shooting range just out the back door for many years the Crickett saw a lot of action. The gun itself is a cheap piece of metal and plastic. The memories I have associated with it though are priceless.

The CZ is great but it is much more expensive (and worth it) and too large for a five year old.