What im not taking this year

income tax and insurance
Aww man, why can't you attack the lawyers. You know insurance premiums would drop at least 10% without insurance fraud? The numbers I have seen point to more like 20%, but I haven't seen anything less than 20%. Whenever you are talking to your insurance agent keep in mind that all you legally need is state minimum auto and that required by loans secured with assets. The rest is just to sleep at night. If you can sleep in an uninsured home do it. I admire you.

Back to more on subject.
I realize a bright orange scentlock suit will do just as much as a mossy oak/realtree one, at least for deer/elk.
I don't think scentlock does that much, but I would love to try it out and ask the deer if it works.. I have no experience hunting big game, but when I backpack I have no trouble doing a little tracking within sight of animals as long as I am alone.

FrankenMauser

What I am taking this year: My rifle, ammo, 400 square inches of dayglo orange, good boots, water, knife, rope, snacks, gloves, heart/liver bags, and almost nothing else.
No scent-lock, no camo, no feeders, no stands, no blinds, none of the modern atrocities. Find legal meat-bearing deer burried deep in the nastiest corner of the Rocky mountains. Shoot said deer humanely. Gut. Drag. Go home happy. Works every time.

camper4lyfe

That's more than I take when I hunt my uncle's property.

In the area of NY that I hunt, we can't have rifles anyway, so it's shotgun all the way. The area's so thick that anything over about 50 yds is nearly impossible, so binocs are pointless.

Iron sites, and a seat pad are about all I carry (plus a warm hat, rubber gloves, and a couple zip-lock bags).

Sgt.Fathead

Most successful deer hunter I ever knew, God rest his weary soul, wore old wool trousers and a plaid hunting coat, sat in a tree, no stand!, smoking his pipe and eating a sandwich he'd wrapped in crinkly tin foil year after year. Always nailed a deer every year with his big 10 gauge Browning and then waited back at the deer camp for his fellow hunters sipping cider and playing solitaire by the stove. People swore by his skills to read the woods and know where to wait. Unfortunately, he died before we got a chance to go hunt together.

Me, I just wish I could find someone in central NJ who'd take a rookie! Two years, two sets of tags, empty freezer. Can't learn it all in a book.

shortwave

Most important deer hunting tip I ever recieved was " you have to hunt where deer are at" most other hunting gadgets ,are just that.

RLFD5415

Fortunately, I need a 4x4, maps and compass (gps) to go where I hunt, so those are stayin'. When the leaves fall, I'll be takin' the scope as well. Other than that, I agree with everything else stayin' at home!

MHbushmaster

Not taking as much rifle ammo...seems I want to pack a whole extra box of ammo for really no reason other than its just "extra".

phil mcwilliam

What to take depends on the individual hunt and your knowledge of the area you're hunting. If I'm going out for an afternoon hunt on my mates 2,000 acre cattle property that I have hunted regularly for 18 years - I may only take ammo & a folding knife. Where I go deer hunting in the mountains, the bush is usually thick & the terrain is forever changing. This area is extremely remote & the weather can change rapidly. When hunting for deer in the mountains I carry GPS, compass, map, radio , water, ammo, knife, toilet paper, museli bars, binoculars, lighter, small torch, plastic garbage bag(for meat-or improvised raincoat), small sharpening stone, & panadol.