What have I got here??

paknheat

Found this little gem in a pawn shop. It's been re barreled to .243 Winchester. Can't tell for sure if its a Mauser or Arisaka ? Anybody got an idea of what it is?ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366315143.343104.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1366315164.375798.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1366315179.261316.jpg

PetahW

The stamped cursive characters look Middle Eastern, like Persian or Arabic - the action's definitely a Mauser.

paknheat

Yeah, definitely not a Turk, the guy I got it from wasn't for sure either. It had belonged to a relative who passed on. I was thinking maybe a Siamese , but not sure either. Never thought about Persian.

Jim Watson

A large ring Mauser with foreign chicken track markings.

If in .243 it is not likely Siamese because those were originally for rimmed cartridges and it would be more work than it is worth to convert bolt face and magazine to rimless.

James K

Member In Memoriam
It is (or was) a Czech VZ-24, made for Persia (now Iran). The left side markings are Farsi and read: "Carbine [short rifle] Model 1312, Brno Arms Factory". The original number was 12831. I have no idea who put on the "89" or what it meant.

The VZ-24 is usually considered among the best of the 98 Mausers and has been the basis for many fine sporters as well as a collectors item in the original condition.

Jim

paknheat

Thanx for the info. I think the 89 stamped on it may have been put on it by the fellow that did the sporter work . I think it is worth the $100 I paid for it.

James K

Member In Memoriam
A lot of good info there, although there are some mistakes - the Czech VZ-24 is NOT a K.98k and Germany never sold the K.98k to Iran.

Jim