What happened to the .30-06 ammo?

Slamfire

with friends like this, who needs enemies?

The reason surplus ammunition has dried up, and what is left is hideously expensive, is due to our “Friends” George Bush and the Republicans in Congress.

If you do go to the attached New York Times URL and read the article referenced, there are a couple of things that stand out. The Bush administration was paying this one Company $300 million dollars to go out and buy any and all surplus ammunition and give it to the Afghans. No doubt there has been more than one contract awarded, and more than one country which is receiving free ammunition paid for by the American Taxpayer.

An interesting aside in the store, is that the US is participating in a NATO program to buy up and destroy stocks of surplus ammunition. Even though the program “ended last year”, I have no doubt that new contracts and agreements have been created, and the search and destruction of surplus ammunition continues. By our new “friends”, the Democrats.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/27/world/asia/27ammo.html?_r=2&hp=&pagewanted=all

kraigwy

Cry me a friggin river;

Instead of sitting here crying, blaming others for our woes, why not direct that effort in to doing something about it.

There is brass out there, there are bullets out there, there are primers out there. You want '06 bullets, load them.

My first reloader (after I left home and didnt have access to my fathers) was one of those little lee hand loaders. I loaded hundreds of shells for my Model 95 winchester before my finances were to the point I could get a proper set up.

I don't buy the bit about commerical ammo not working in M1s, When I was running the AK NG sniper schools I used it in our M1C/Ds and in the State Malitia's M1s it worked fine. But thats besides the point.

If you dont want to use it, thats up to you, but you can easily load an equal to M2 by stuffing 150 grn bullets on top of 47 grns of 4895, or something simular.

I mean if little kids in Afgan can load 7.62 X 39s we should be able to handle something as simple as 30-06 for garands.

Sorry for todays rant.