What Happened to Dick's Sporting Goods?

applesanity

I haven't been in one in a few years, and I wasn't quite so knowledgeable on arms when I went last. But today, I went to a Dick's Sporting Goods that had just opened. I went all the way in the back, and I saw this tiny counter for a few long guns and plinkers. I asked one of the guys, (to his credit, was nice and sorta knowledgeable), "hey, I wanted to see that new Remington 700 sps varmint model." to which he says,

"Sorry, we don't carry any high-end stuff like Remington 700's here."

Oh Lord.

madmag

Yes, Dick's is limited now days. Some carry more guns than others. None carry pistols...around here anyway. Brass Pro is a much better choice if you have one near. Cabelas is like going to gun haven. Stopped at Cabelas Michigan store (close to Ann Arbor) once. They had more long guns, pistols, and ammo than I have ever seen under one roof.

skeeter1

"Sorry, we don't carry any high-end stuff like Remington 700's here."

Not to be too much of a snob, but when did a Remington 700 become "high-end?" They're great rifles, don't get me wrong, but I don't think of them as high-end. I haven't been to Dick's in a few years, and from the sound of it, maybe it will be a few more years before I go there again.

applesanity

Not to be too much of a snob, but when did a Remington 700 become "high-end?"

That's the point. In fact, they had no bolt-actions at all. After he saw the slightly dissapointed look on my face, he asked if I was interested in checking out some of their .22's.

Maybe I should have asked him if he had any Dakota's in stock.

brando

sporting goods

went to the sporting goods store, asked to see any .17 it had just been released
it was odd the clerk wanted to see my drivers license befor he would show me any
maybe fat and fifty fellers do a lot of grab and dash. I just wasn't impressed with the sales atitude maybe I'am too sensative??????

Big Don

How does Dick's rank with Sportsman's Warehouse as far as number of stores? We have a new SW in Rocklin (near Sacramento) and I've been very impressed with the number and types of firearms, both rifle and handgun. The staff has been pretty good too. Makes me want to do business with them.

applesanity

Dick's in N. VA has a smattering of long guns, that's about it.

I didn't go to the one in Fairfax, if that's the one you're talking about. I went to a brand new one that opened in Bailey's Crossroads. If you happen to live in this part of the world, I could sure use some help. I know of a few gun stores down in Woodbridge, although that "Shooter's Paradise" place did just burn up in flames last weekend. What a shame. They won't re-open until late summer, I'm told.

rgates

I've not been to a Gander Mountain but have heard good things about them. In the news recently it was announced they will be opening a new store very near where I live in October real close to a Dick's. Looking forward to their opening. You think Dick's is nervous?

rantingredneck

I've never bought a gun from Dick's but I buy ammo from them when they have sales. The ones around here have a few Remingtons, but they don't carry many guns anyway. I also am not terribly convinced that they know much about guns. I was in a few weeks ago to pick up some 9mm ammo and asked to see an NEF .223 they had. The guy told me as he was handing it across the counter that the pre-mounted scope had been laser boresighted already. When I looked through it, though it was more of an X than a cross. It had to be nearly 25 degrees off from vertical. I pointed that out to him and his reply was something like, "Well different people shoulder rifles differently so they look crooked if you shoulder the rifle wrong." At that I handed him the rifle, collected my ammo and went on my way shaking my head.

SD_Chop

Dicks is the anti pistol store! The one in fairfax wont even carry pistol ammo!! I hate it, when it was Galyans they had good stuff, then dicks came along and ruined it. Now if you looking for longs guns and shotguns they have a few, but their ammo seems kinda high priced but no pistols or ammo for

Wrascal

I Was looking forward to them

You've all got me disappointed now. My area has NO big names, just the tiny Mom n'Pop places, so I've been looking forward to Dicks new opening in my area - still under construction.

EJJR

The closest Dick's to me had about 60 diff. rifles in stock, most of those being shotguns and .22's No pistols at all.

I was less than impressed with the sales staff ( who seemed to know as much as I do, or even less.) and honestly I felt like I was a in a G.A.P. instead of a sporting goods store. In their defense, the store is located in a mall. :rolleyes:

Thankfully there is a Cabelas finally being built in-state. :cool:

K80Geoff

I live close to the original Dicks, in Binghamton NY. They mostly stock clothes and yuppie sports stuff. The gun department is way in the back in a separate building. Mostly hunting guns and ammo and a few safes.

Heard one of the managers one day disparaging the gun department. She stated she would not even have guns except "Corporate" makes them sell them.

Even the brand new Dicks in Scranton has mostly kiddie sport stuff, the gun dept is mostly hunting oriented.

Gander Mountain is far superior, the one in Scranton now has a selection of AR's and M1a's and Wolf 7.62x39 on the shelves. And they have handguns, even the Gander Mountain in Binghamton (NY) has handguns.

As one of our members used to post here: Dick's, the aptly named Sporting Goods Store"

williamd

Not to be too much of a snob, but when did a Remington 700 become "high-end?"

So, sketter1, enlighten us on what a HIGH-END rifle is. Do we have to spend a certain amount? Have an AAA stock? A $1000 scope? Or, can we just stick to our MOA Remingtons, Rugers, Savages, Wincs if we shoot at the dump?? :p

I have to agree with the posters stating Dick's carrying only long guns and shotguns here. I'm in the Quad Cities and they don't even carry pistol ammo more less pistols. That department seems to have the bastard child label on it in its store. Too bad. I bought my Savage Model 12 from them a few years ago and the gentleman behind the counter was fairly knowledgeable and had a no pressure sale philosophy.

Gander Mtn. is just up the road, and they have had a VERY crappy selection of pistols. The service is just p--- poor at the gun dept. And it's every time I go, not just once in a while. They used to have an excellent gunsmith there, but he moved on to a bigger store in Des Moines.

I have to agree that Cabela's is a pretty darn good store. I visit the original one in Nebraska when I visit relatives, and the one in Michigan is fantastic. I go there when I visit family.

Just my experience, anyway...

applesanity

So, sketter1, enlighten us on what a HIGH-END rifle is.

I always thought of Remington and Ruger as Chevy trucks of guns. Gets the job done, moderately priced, rugged, dependable. Which would make "high-end" some choice european import, as well as Dakota, etc, or a custom rig built by a master smith.

When considering that rifles can cost $4K or worse, I wouldn't call a Remmy 700 high-end. Great rifle. Like some chevy's, they can outperform quite a few rifles that are more expensive.