What gun should I get?

Fishbed77

Beretta 92 without a doubt.

One of your choices is a high-quality handgun and the other is a bottom-of-the-barrel AK.

Sgt Pepper

I've had multiple iterations of both. Beretta wins hands down. As romantic as it might sound, you ain't gonna end up hunting four-legged or winged creatures with the WASR, trust me. A lot of the WASRs are lemons or problematic in some way or other. The Beretta will never let you down, and it sounds like you need a sidearm anyway.

Exactly as Fishbed77 said: "One of your choices is a high-quality handgun and the other is a bottom-of-the-barrel AK."

willmc33

The WASR of my friends out of a 30 round magazine didnt hit a sheet of 4x8 plywood ONCE at 40 yards. Front site was WAY off. Had to give it some kentucky windage to get it to hit and even then the hits were terrible at best.

tahunua001

I've had pretty poor experiences with both, I bought a WASR during post election 08 price hikes and I dealt with the M9(the same as a 92FS) a little in the navy. the M9s were jammomatic junk and all the way down the line people were having to call "safety time out" during qualifications because they had failures. my M9 functioned alright for the most part and I shot it pretty well. if you don't mind a goofy slide mounted safety/decocker then you should be able to do very well with a 92FS(just remember to clean often and lube well). my wasr was by far my worst gun purchase of all time. it had too much mag wobble to allow steel surplus mags so I had to use the thicker plastic mags from tapco or PMAG just for it to cycle. I never liked the ergos and swapping out the wood furniture for polymer tacticool stuff did nothing to make it more comfortable. mine was one of the ones with a canted fromt sight post which isn't very difficult to remedy but I was too lazy to fix it therefore making the iron sights worthless and forcing me to resort to a red dot. even shooting from sandbags it was a 3-5 MOA rifle most of the time and once ammo became more expensive than 5.56 ammo I decided to finally call it quits with the AK and sold it for a $300 loss. now I realize that not all people have the same experience with them. my brother also has a WASR which also will not feed from surplus mags and barely holds 3 MOA from sandbags but doesn't have a canted front sight so he can actually make do with irons. he is is also contemplating selling his since he realized that his 7.62x39 AR15 can do everything his AK can but better.

between your two choices due to personal experience I would pick the 92FS but I would rather get a CZ75, XD, or SR9. that's just me. some experiences may vary.

Fishbed77

but just to inform you if you bought an M9 and a 92fs you would know that they are not the same thing.

Nope - they are the pretty much the same thing. Not more than a dime's worth of difference.

The real difference is that many M9s get shot and abused A LOT (as are the low-bidder magazines).

Your experience with a Beretta (or any other high-quality pistol) that you buy with your own hard-earned cash and coddle is going to be very different than the experience of a serviceman or -woman that is issued a worn-out Beretta with low-bid magazines that are treated as consumables rather than properly cared-for.

tahunua001

pretty much what fishbed said. expecially when you're dealing with a range where you have to cater to service members from several bases(such as camp allen virginia where I shot the M9 and where they have the closest range to norfolk naval base, a NATO base, langley AFB, FT monroe, little creek amphib base, and all of the little in between installations within a 30 mile radius) or a training command(IE boot camp) where you have hundreds to thousands of people shooting a day, the guns are going to be shot a lot with nowhere near proper maintenance or cleaning.

tahunua001

I really do not want to get into an argument over this but I am seriously stumped. taking a quick trip over to beretta's website I very closely compared images of the 92fs and M9. they hold the exact same profile(so I have no idea what gun you are firing has a different angled grip.

but with that said, I don't use them every day nor do I use them side by side so if you are really that familiar with them then I bow to your superior knowledge.

also for the record, this whole thread might be a little moot because federal law prohibits both the sale of a handgun to anyone under the age of 21 but also makes it illegal for someone to purchase a handgun on behalf of a minor.

Last edited:

TunnelRat

they are not the same, go to youtube and look them up 92fs vs. m9

Yup. Because if you want an accurate comparison of firearms there is no better place than youtube.

Functionally there is nothing tremendously different between them. The grip on one might be different than the other, though not by much imo, but they're essentially the same gun.

willmc33

Looking pretty similar to me.

m992fs.jpg

Are you meaning a M9 or another gun? The Cougar maybe? The 92FS and M9 are almost identical in every way. The 92FS has a slightly more arched backstrap maybe but a very minimal difference?:confused:

Last edited:

Fishbed77

Texasfirearmfan,

Keep in mind also that Beretta has constantly product-improved the 92FS/M9 over the last 30 years as well, so that the new 92FS/M9 that one picks up in a gun store is going to be a little bit different than the 92F/M9 that your dad's "navy seal buddys" recollect.

That said, as tahuna001 mentioned, this whole discussion is moot because federal law prohibits both the sale of a handgun to anyone under the age of 21 and also makes it illegal for someone to purchase a handgun on behalf of a minor.

If I were you, I wouldn't even worry about it now - you've got a great 6 years coming up in your life anyway! It a good chance that that the Beretta will not be your first choice for a handgun in 6 years (as great a piece as it is, I wouldn't really consider it to be a great first, or even second, handgun).

And, if judging by all the great handgun options that have appeared in the last 6 years, there's no telling what we be offered over the next 6!

RC20

Find a used MAK90 AK (convert it to normal stock if you want though make sure it has 5 US made parts)

You will have nice investment and those do gain some value ($600+ these days)

You can get a used 92 with some shopping at some latter date.

9mm is not a good hunting gun. Yes you can do it, but hunting guns are the 41 magnum and up.

Venom1956

Ok this is gonna sound harsh... first of u need the STF U about the purchasing of your FATHER'S pistol. You in all your fifteen year old wisdom must know far more then us actual gun owers. what your saying is a straw purchase to a minor, so stop. No matter how you try to dance around it. You should try and be a bit more discrete about your father's business also. Am I the only person under 30 that doesn't have a group of old SEALs to hangout with? I got shafted and only have a lone Blackwater operator... =P what gives?!