What gives? Pistols vs Revolvers? A rant.

tipoc

First, the dictionary I quoted from is over 20 years old.

Second, oughta be clear from reading through 2 pages of this silliness that both usages are common and so long as you can understand what the other fella means, correct. One may be more "precise" than the other but that is clearly in flux.

tipoc

tipoc

HA!

pr.jpg

tipoc

MemphisJim

Now, in how many other threads are you going to see references to "etymology"? Gawd, I love this Forum. A fella can learn more in here in one day than a week's worth of Springer..by cracky.

dgludwig

From Websters 9th Collegiate Dictionary "...a handgun whose chamber is integral with the barrel..."
A simple definition and they offer no other.

From Webster's 7th Collegiate Dictionary: "1: a short firearm intended to be aimed and fired with one hand. 2: a handgun whose chamber is integral with the barrel..."

So, at least in an earlier edition (published when I was attending college! :eek:), Webster's did offer another definition and it was prioritized (first in order as opposed to second). Nonetheless, I have succumbed to modern day usage and prefer to call a semi-auto a pistol and a revolver, well, a revolver. I cannot defend this predilection empirically but, so what?

orionengnr

Many people use the term pistol to mean any handgun. While technically incorrect most know what they mean and do not make a big deal over it. Just like using the term "clip to interchange for "magazine". That is technically incorrect as well and some people are quick to correct anyone who uses the wrong terms.

I generally try to use the correct terms in daily conversation....

Exactly.

pendennis

MLEAKE wrote:
For category 2, "guns" often describe naval artillery (or other items, in rhyme form...), and "magazines" are not "clips." Discomfort is caused less by the love of English, and more by memories of push-ups, sit-ups, and distance runs resulting from use of improper terminology.

From a purely technical perspective, "guns" does not correctly describe naval artillery. Naval guns are "rifles", and magazines are where shells and powder, and assembled ammunition are stored. They've been referred to as rifles since the distinction was made between smooth bore cannons, and those which had rifled bores (in the mid-19th century).

I was reminded very firmly of this by a Chief Warrant Officer, who was a "Gunner", the first time I was inside a 5"/38 caliber rifle turret. He also had more than 30 years of service.

jaydubya

I was reminded very firmly of this by a Chief Warrant Officer, who was a "Gunner", the first time I was inside a 5"/38 caliber rifle turret

Pendennis, that same Gunner would tell you that 5"38 naval guns (yup), if enclosed (and not all were), resided in "enclosed gun mounts", not turrets. An enclosed gun mount is structurally fastened to external parts of the ship. A turret on a warship is a whole different ball of wax, rather akin to a tooth. It is an entirely independent structure floating on gymbals and whatnot, with much of it below decks. With the proper crane, a turret can be extracted like a tooth. Or torpedo the ship, and if it rolls over, the turrets might just fall out. I served aboard a warship (USS Canberra) that had both turrets (with 8" naval guns) and enclosed 5"38 gunmounts, so I know the difference. I suggest you visit Pearl Harbor and go aboard the USS Missouri. It has both too.

Just an effort to keep this wonderful thread going . . . And I'm happy to see so many members agree with me that a revolver is a pistol.

Retired naval officer,
Jack

Last edited:

shep854

The enclosure around the big bangy thingy was also referred to as the "gunhouse", and the thing that went bangy a long way off called the "bullet", as in a "16in bullet":eek:.

Once everyone is done with the warmups, let's get to the main event: Double-action v single-action!:D

oneounceload

Funny how on S&W's website they have a section for revolvers, and another one for pistols......

I'm just sayin'....................:D

PT111

Funny how on S&W's website they have a section for revolvers, and another one for pistols......

I'm just sayin'.................... :D

Just shows how screwed up S&W is these days. :D:D

kozak6

Meh. A revolver is a revolver, and a pistol is a category of handgun which generally but not always implies a semiautomatic pistol, except when it doesn't . It seems to be commonly and correctly used both ways.

I don't even see why it matters.

Heck, I even have a close friend who likes to argue that the word "handgun" is a contrived term similar to "assault weapon" and should not be used under any circumstance for similar reasons :D.

Uncle Buck

I have shot twirlies and sliders for years and I find the terms interchangeable when used with people who really do not care enough to make the difference known.
But I do have a rifle type firearm with an 18' barrel and a nice shoulder stock... I do not know what to call it? Is it a rifle? Is it a revolver (eh... Twirlie)?

Dang stargazer65 ... Now you got me using new terms! ;)

But if a gun is a navel artillery piece, why do all these safe manufactures offer a place to store your guns? What if you do not own any guns, just firearms?

Donn_N

Well, even if one concedes that a revolver is not a pistol (and I don't), there is no basis for the term "pistol" to refer only to a semi-auto handgun as single shot handguns also meet the more narrow definition as do some oddball handguns. Anyone remember the Semmerling?