What else is there Besides the M14,M16,G36,FAL,HK91,G3,AK,SKS for Military Rifles?

Jamie Young

I mean Semi-Auto and Automatic rifles? And not Bolt action rifles? Are there any Lone countries in the world that use anything else? And I mean now not in the past.

Payette Jack

Galil and Valmet come to mind. Both are modified AK designs though.

I believe if you scoured the world, you'd probably find a few Enfields on duty somewhere.

Jamie Young

Galil is one I missed, I am not familiar with the S80 but I have heard that whatever the British switched to was crap. I think I saw a FAMAS at the range about a year ago. Is that a 6mm chambered rifle?

PLF

Here's a few from my 96-97 Janes Inf Wpns...

Soda Pop...for a few domestic semi-autos; there's the new Robarms M96 (stoner design), a few Daewoos still floating around along with some spendy AR-180s (heard Armalite was going to manufacture a new PC version???).

From the BIG book:

Austria/Australia - Steyr AUG
Belgium/Sweden - FN-FNC
Finland - Sako M90 (improved Valmet M62/M76)
France - FAMAS F1
Israel/South Africa - Galil
Italy - AR-70/90
South Korea - Daewoo K2
Singapore - SR88A
Spain - CETME L and LC assault riles
Switzerland - Stgw 90 (Sig 550)
UK - L85A1 (SA80)

A ton of other countries are using AK varients...and there's a lot of them! Many of the Eastern European coutries are also coming on line with 5.56mm AK varients. Also, there's still a lot of FN FALs, G3s, and M16s in many of the various country arsenals.

Just another quick note: When I was serving down in Ecuardor/Peru for a JTF Mission, the observed the Peruvians to using FALs, AKs, M16s, and G3s!!!! Not the type of army to make supply/maintenance easy, but wow! Also, they had the Colt 9mm SMGs and UZIs all over the place for Airport and Military Base security.

Hope this helps,

PLF

Jamie Young

I'm pretty sure Spain has adopted the G36 now and the CETME is history. I see the outside difference SmithZ but They look pretty close in design?

Bam Bam

For more variety check out the parts kits available at Inter-ordnance.com

Italy-Beretta 38
Russia-Smersh

Or do you mean in modern usage?

Young Kiwi

The SIG rifles are used by a bunch of countries, most noteably, Switzerland and Chile. Chile manufactures these rifles themselves.
They make them locally. They have gone further and scaled them up to 7.62 NATO, a local design is a SMG that is in 9mm and is made in all the usual types, including one that is about the size of an MP5K (blowback on a closed chamber though)

The Styer AUG. is very popular too......
http://www.steyr-aug.com/countries.htm

singapore is also going to a new rifle are SAR21
http://www.mindef.gov.sg/army/news/oct99/dpmsar.htm

Zander

Yeh, well, that's because the...

...sociofascists in Washington decided that you can't be trusted to own one of the finest true assault rifles in the world, the SIG550 in all its iterations.

If you want to be really entertained [no drooling allowed], check: http://www.sigarms.ch

Click on the 'defense/military' section to get the visuals.

saands

PLF said:
UK - L85A1 (SA80)

This might be a modern Enfield. When I was last in London, the fancy guards that patrol Buckinham Palace were carrying a very interesting Enfield that appeared to be chambered in .223 ... If I'm not mistaken the mag was behind the trigger? Yep ... I just went to look at the photo album and sure enough it is. There was a LOT of firepower in that parade.

Destructo6

Too bad the SA80 is a royal POS. They should ditch that thing instead of trying to fix it and go with the M16 or, even better, the G36 (since the Brits own HK anyway). I guess since Enfield hadn't designed a rifle since the original SMLE, they were a bit rusty, and now they're gone.

How about the Czech Vz-58? Looks like an AK, smells like an AK, but it isn't an AK.

Keep in mind the FNC was designed 20+ years before the G36 and both use a pretty conventional layout, so similarities are certain.

How about light machineguns? FN MAG-58 & Minimi , MG-42 (still in service), M60,