What do you use to clean the gas tube on your AR?

tulsamal

We never cleaned them in the Army, even after shooting blanks with blank adapters, and I can't imagine anything dirtier than that!

Exactly!!

I was 16H in the regular Army. Then 11B in the Active Reserves as a Drill Sergeant. When I was in the active Army, my unit sent me off to Armorer's School so that I could be assigned as the Assistant Armorer as an additional duty. Between Armorer's School, being the armorer at various ranges, the Drill Sergeant school and various ranges in that capacity, it wasn't until I was a civilian and looking through a Brownell's catalog that I even heard a mention of "cleaning the gas tube."

I've been out since 1993 but I guarantee you nobody was cleaning them back then. They weren't training Armorers to clean them either. Not a whisper about it. Don't worry about things that don't need to be worried about!!

Gregg

Technosavant

You know, I can't remember even reading about one single time a gas tube was gunked up from normal shooting, even dirty ammo (.22LR ammo from conversion kits can do it, less pressure and heat while also being dirtier- that's why they recommend a couple rounds of .223 for every couple mags of .22LR shot through a chamber insert style conversion kit). The only times I've even heard of a gas tube getting clogged have been attempts to clean it that resulted in the tool breaking off in the tube.

Lemmon

I am new to the AR15. I will take the avenue of least resistance, I will not clean my AR15's gas tube.

Lemmon

madcratebuilder

leave the gas tube alone spend the time on your bolt and chamber

Good advise!

I do clean my adjustable gas tube with carb clean and compressed air. I know guys that have to clean their gas tube after 1 few K of .22lr.

Mike, I do not clean - and have never cleaned my gas tubes. I just replace the gas tube when I replace the barrel. Currently, I have a gas tube with about 5k down it and no problems and I've personally owned one with 10k on it and when I removed it, it was just fine fouling wise - basically the only difference between it and a new one was that it was charred black all over.

I have read accounts of gas tubes becoming clogged through fouling. Most notably, it was a problem with the ammo used during the initial trials in the early 1960s. They discovered that a certain percentage of calcium carbonate in the powder would lead to fouling of the gas tube and eventual blockage.

I've also read online accounts of people claiming blocked gas tubes through fouling. In every one of those cases, they were using foreign-manufactured ammo, usually military surplus; but I've read one or two posts claiming the problem with Russian import ammo intended for the U.S. civilian market.

In my experience though, every time I've personally seen a clogged gas tube, it was inevitably a piece of pipe cleaner or Q-tip stuck in there from someone trying to clean it.

I know that port pressure at the gas block is around 12,000-15,000psi on a rifle and around 26,000-30,000psi on a carbine. My pet theory is that if 12,000psi of gas won't move it out of the gas tube, I'm not likely to have much luck with pipe cleaners and q-tips trying to get it clean. So I don't mess with it.

I do however put a drop of CLP in the gas key per the TM. I think this has less to do with cleaning the gas key than making sure the rings on the bolt are lubed though since that is usually where that drop ends up.

thesheepdog

Break-Free isn't a bad way to go. You'll usually return a bunch of black liquid that'll stain just about anything.
But like most others have said, you really don't need to clean it. I am a bit picky and like to run a few sprays of CLP and let it sit for half an hour, then proceed to drain whatever liquid is in there. Then I let the parts dry for a bit.

Is there a performance difference? Not really-or at least not that I can possibly measure. But I like my guns to be clean, especially after they get dirty-carbine courses got a lot of mud and water in my gun.