What do you think of this S&W Model 64?

boa2

I accidentally discovered this stainless Smith & Wesson Model 64 and I fell in love with it-so, I made the plunge for it. It looked very pretty-since the prior owner had evidently done a good "Flitz" polish job on it! What are your opinions?:
P1010566.jpg

P1010567.jpg

P1010571.jpg

P1010572.jpg

P1010577.jpg

gunzrfunz

Excellent gun. I have the exact gun, but it's a police turn-in from Pittsburgh.
Very tight, accurate, and perty. I put Hogue monogrips on it and it fits in my hand just perfect. Good luck with it.

boa2

Thanks for the replies(And for the nice compliments!)! Since not many people were responding to my thread here, I figured that, despite how "Purdy" this M&P appeared to be, that most folks just don't get too warmed-up over the .38 special caliber revolvers?:eek: To my way of thinking, this is a great and fun caliber! It's certainly potent enough for me-as I don't care so much for the "Magnum" calibers! I can get plenty of enjoyment shooting the .38 specials!:D By the same token, I can get excited about any mint specimen of an Smith & Wesson revover-regardless of caliber(Just to hold and to fondle them-whether I'd consider shooting them, or not!)!

Deaf Smith

Looks like very nice Houge grips. The 64, being a stainless version of the M10, is about as field tested a revolver as there ever has been. Very sound and very strait shooting.

Mine is a 2 inch job. If you use Buffalo Bore 158gr LSWHP .38s from that 4 inch barrel expect almost 1200 fps!! Real close to .357 Magnums. I've shot them from my 2 inch and I chroned them at 1000 fps, and from my 2 3/4 inch Ruger Speed Six they chronoed at 1100 fps. So I am pretty sure the 4 inch tube will give you 1200. Nice to know if you ever want to use it as a field gun while hiking.

boa2

Yes, I knew that the M64 was a well proven(Time tested)stainless version of the famous M10! Although I had never owned or shot one of these revolvers before! Yikes! Those "Buffalo Bore" rounds are very potent! Since I have some .357 revolvers, I'd just shoot these guns instead of shooting these powerful .38 rounds in my M64! However, I wouldn't particularly care to shoot these .357 magnum rounds! I'll probably just shoot standard pressure .38 special rounds-but, I do have some older Federal Nyclad +p .38 special rounds that I might try? Since I haven't shot any guns for many years, I think that I'd just start from scratch, and shoot these milder loads?:eek::confused:

armoredman

Don't knock the ol' 38! :D I am getting mine approved as an off duty sidearm - shoulda seen the looks I got when I told them!

PICT0257.jpg

I can knock a frogs leg off with this, at 25 yards, in mid leap. OK, not QUITE that good, but it sure feels like it. I carried a Smith 64 for a few years with Wells Fargo Armored Service Corp, and actually used it to compete with, when we were allowed to take them home. Yes, that was a while ago.:p
Very nice wheelie, sir, show that off over at http://smith-wessonforum.com/eve

If you ever get tired of that one, I will be proud to give it a GOOOOOOD home.

cortez kid

Got a great gun there. My 64's are about my most favorite guns to shoot. Very accurate. They're the ones I use for gun golf. Butter smooth triggers. They were once range guns. They all polished up beautifully, except for the one I had bead-blasted. Put new Houges on it. Looks like something from the Performance Center. Enjoy.
kid

boa2

armoredman:

1)Thank you for your kind remarks!:D

2)No, I'll never be the one to knock the ole .38-as I love em!:)

3)I'll certainly keep you in mind for my M64-3 if i should decide to sell it.

4)Since your S&W .38 revolver appears to be blue, it must be an M10? It looks to be in mint condition? It's beautiful! Great picture also!

boa2

cortez kid:

Thanks for the compliment! I'm glad to know that you also appreciate the "Classic" .38 M&P revolvers! I was pleased that my M64-3 happened to have the smooth trigger instead of an grooved trigger.:D

JohnKSa

Administrator
Good solid gun. My dad has one just like it with a PD stamp on the bottom of the grip frame. They were a very common LE issue weapon for many years.

DenPro

Congrats on your 64. It's the brother to the 67 and I think they are royalty in the great line of S&W .38 revolvers. I've been looking for the perfect 67 for a while now and looking at yours makes me just want to cry!

armoredman

boa2, it's a 10-8, my inheritance.

smith10-8mastersholster.jpg

It shoots like a laser. Something about these Smith wheelies, they just keep on shooting right to point of aim, while I see many at the range with the latest uber-tacticool pistola hitting mostly on the target...at 10 yards..:D

El Paso Joe

Nice Gun! I have the blue version (m13 - the m10 was a .38) that I carried as a service sidearm for a few years. It is still the most naturally pointing gun I have ever shot (except maybe a Nambu - but I didn't actually shoot it). Just like pointing your finger. Sweet. Balanced.

boa2

No, I found this M64-3 in an Kalifornia gun shop!:D I was just lucky in finding this gun after a long dry spell(So to speak)! In fact this last week has been very lucky for me-as I also found the following 5"(post war)Pre-Model 10(Circa 1947)less than four days after buying the above M-64-3, and I hope all of you M&P enthusiasts will enjoy seing this gun also?:
P1010641.jpg

P1010642.jpg

P1010588.jpg

P1010649.jpg