What do you think of this?/loaded gun,unlocked car

Edward429451

I understand and agree with Wyoredmans position. It is private property and couldn't be reckless anything. If the stupid kid steals it, hurts himself, then perhaps he shouldn't be out thieving. The thief is the reckless one. This is a respectable position.

BUT! It's not very realistic in today's world. Wrong or not, unfair or not, the nanny State may perhaps turn against the lawful owner of said gun/vehicle. It's very easy to carry the gun in the house and not tease the animals. I hold Wyoredmans sentiments, but I would never leave a gun in my truck overnight. I pay too much for my property to push my luck like that. The probability of thieves is high so why tempt them?

Wyoredman

Or do you think a gun falling into the hands of one of these people is alright.

Absolutly Not!

Your rights and the belief that your car is untouchable property means absolutely nothing to them.

We are not talking about the thief, we are talking about the victim (in mine eyes) being charged with reckless endangerment by the authorities! I didn't cause the nimrod to tresspass on my property and then break into my car and then steal my gun!

We are talking real world here and is why I left the big city and came back to the woods.

I hope the real world isn't about making victims into criminals! And no, I have never lived in a city, but I don't considder the city the "real world" either!

If the OP's gun was not on the seat or otherwise in plain view his first mistake was not locking the vehicle when he left it unattended.

I agree, not locking the vehicle was a personal mistake, but not a crime! Suggesting charges of reckless endangerment? Really? So if I leave my garage door open and someone swipes my fully gassed Stihl saw, takes it home and cuts his roommate in half, am I guilty of reckless endangerment for leaving my door open with access to the saw?

Ever forget to lock your gun safe?

Last edited:

TailGator

It is illegal in Florida to leave a firearm where it can be accessed by a minor. If unloading the pistol and moving it from the car to a bag on the porch is armed burglary, is not leaving a pistol in an unlocked car overnight a violation of the above-mentioned law?

I am not saying that the "burglar" did the right thing, but s/he really didn't steal the gun, more like moved it. The only thing the original owner didn't get back is the ammo, if I read it right. I can understand folks making the case that the person who unloaded the pistol was acting more responsibly than the owner of the pistol. I for one hope they don't devote a lot of resources to pursuing this case. "I forgot" is not much of an excuse for leaving a loaded firearm where anyone old enough to walk can access it.

Glockstar .40

it was def dumb to leave his car unlocked gun or not. but its his car on his property! so if i leave my home unlocked overnight with my guns in my house does that give someone the right to walk in my home and unload all my guns and take my ammo? NO it doesnt give them that right. that dudes lucky the owner didnt hear that and go outside with another gun and see him in his car.

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
BURGLARY OF A CONVEYANCE...

Leave my crap alone... And I will reciprocate the respect... Stupid to have a loaded gun in an unlocked car? NO STUPIDER THAN THINKING A LOCKED DOOR WITH A SAFETY GLASS HOLE FILLER IS ANY MORE SECURE!!!

Brent

medalguy

So are you saying that if I have a gun lying around my home, say inside a closet, and someone breaks into my home and takes the gun, that I should be charged with reckless endangerment? It's exactly the same principle as this case.

If you want to come into MY home, uninvited, day or night, locked or unlocked, be prepared to meet thy maker. Stay the heck out of my home, my car, or my business.

Kreyzhorse

I think things aren't as they seem with this story. Clearly the gent who left his gun in the car knows the person who left the note for him.

Old Grump

Member in memoriam
So are you saying that if I have a gun lying around my home, say inside a closet, and someone breaks into my home and takes the gun, that I should be charged with reckless endangerment? It's exactly the same principle as this case.

If you want to come into MY home, uninvited, day or night, locked or unlocked, be prepared to meet thy maker. Stay the heck out of my home, my car, or my business.
If the gun is laying out ion the open, you are not there and your house is unlocked you will not get much sympathy from the police. If it's concealed that would be better but people who break into houses for a living know those hiding spots. Turning the key on the lock won;t keep a professional out but it will deter most casual snoops and give you some legal protection if your gun is later found to be used in a crime. Be indignant all you want but locks keep honest people honest and it's cheap insurance.

TXAZ

2 wrongs don't make a right

If every gun owner behaved in a similar manner, I would have serious concerns on the ability of the 2nd Amendment (or state gun regs) to remain as-is.

Both actions were negligent. Be it kids, felons, Boy Scouts or little old ladies trying to teach the gun owner a lesson, not a bright move. Calling 311/911 would have achieved a much better result.

Leaving guns out for the irresponsible to find is just plain dumb / negligent / illegal / gross-negligent-tort-waiting-to-happen.

Crankgrinder

I could be wrong but i believe at least here in Texas are ways where one can be charged with a crime for leaving a loaded gun unlocked in a car should that gun be used in a crime. Making it easy for the bad guy to acquire guns is frowned upon heavily here.

Don P

As they say. I know at times I have done some stuff that at that moment seemed like a rock solid idea and then as a little time goes by hind sight kicks in and you say what in the hell was I thinking. In all honesty most of us are guilty of doing the same types of things ( in my opinion)

Let me just add that I am not referring that we all have left a loaded gun in a unlocked vehicle.

Last edited:

BGutzman

Gun in the car or not I never leave the car unlocked, doubly important to never leave it unlocked when a gun is stored and unattended... Just plain bad juju... Of course we all make mistakes but knock on wood this is one I have never made and hopefully will never make....

rodent.22

Would a gunshop owner be negligent if he loaded several guns and put them on the counter and then went home for the day and left the front door unlocked? Sure, a slip of the mind, but negligent behavior. In my state leaving a loaded handgun where it could be accessed by a minor will get you in a world of hurt. I have a convertible top Jeep, most neighborhood kids are drawn to it. If I left a loaded gun in the console and a kid got in the Jeep to play and shot himself or a friend, don't you think I would be held liable? No court would hold a below age child to be a burguler for being attracted by forbidden fruit.