What do you think of this?/loaded gun,unlocked car

spacecoast

Not sure I would term it a "public service", it was still theft. However, the guy should have had his car locked if it was out in public. I often leave my garage door open during the day, but that's not an open invitation for someone to come in and take my tools, my car or anything else I might have in it whether dangerous or not.

I guess it's just a matter of degree - here's another case of no B&E required, but clearly a crime was committed -

http://www.wesh.com/news/central-fl...red/-/11788162/16245456/-/x7cm4a/-/index.html

Last edited:

Salmoneye

It was obviously someone that knew there was a gun in the car...

No one goes around randomly (or methodically) checking car doors to 'investigate' for "Stupid" behavior...

Did they ask his Wife?

And why call the cops?

Hansam

Theft is theft. Whether they were trying to get a message across or not is irrelevant. It is still theft. The fact that all of the property was not returned (bullets still missing) cements the fact that it was still theft.

To enter into another person's home or vehicle without permission is breaking and entry in most states. Removing property from someone's home or vehicle without permission theft in most if not all states. Whether the person's intentions were good or not doesn't matter. You just don't go around taking other people's property without permission.

The police are doing the right thing in investigating this break-in and burglary.

That said I'd never store a loaded firearm in my unlocked car. If its my EDC gun I've always got it on me. If I'm going somewhere I can't carry then I lock it in a safe location then lock the car doors too. If its a rifle or a shotgun by law those have to remain unloaded while in a moving vehicle so I keep them unloaded.

shortwave

The police are doing the right thing in investigating this break-in and burglary.

Given the circumstances, I doubt there will be a lot of time spent on this 'investigation'.

In this case, IMO, LE's time would be better spent lecturing the gun owner of how stupid he was leaving a loaded gun in an unlocked car.:rolleyes:

Webleymkv

It seems to me that both parties involved were not very bright. Obviously, leaving a loaded gun (or even an unloaded one for that matter) lying around unscured is stupid, but so too is comitting theft to "teach someone a lesson". Rather than steal someone else's property and fell all holier-than-thou about it, I think that perhaps a stern note under the car's wiper blade would have been sufficient.

Skans

I don't care what was inside of the unlocked car. People need to learn to keep their grubby hands off other people's stuff and out of other people's cars and homes. I would make an exception is if a small child was in danger in a hot car.

Salmoneye

I think that perhaps a stern note under the car's wiper blade would have been sufficient.

Then back to my point of 'prior knowledge' about the contents of the vehicle...

It's either that, or a very, very bad thief that isn't looking to make money, and has a really good moral compass...

chuckle.gif

Old Grump

Member in memoriam
The man took the bullets and wrote a warning. What if it had been some stoner or a kid that had found the gun instead. Nope, no thief in my opinion and hopefully lesson learned and taken to heart.

Remington74

I didn't see where it may have said it, BUT if the gun and knife were left on the car seat clearly visible to someone walking by..... :eek:

That is the only reason I can see for someone to take the gun and knife and leave it on his doorstep.

If it was to be a theft the gun wouldl be long gone with no note or forwarding address.

Edward429451

It's one of his neighbors that did it. Or perhaps one of his buddys. This is hilarious and I hope they do not prosecute the person who did it.

Someone already knew that the owner was irresponsible and has probably left his gun in his car before.

Salmoneye

From another article:

Police said Michael Maisonneuve reported the burglary of his car Tuesday. He told officers he left his car unlocked and parked in his driveway overnight. When he returned to his car in the morning, Maisonneuve noticed someone had stolen his handgun and bullets that were left in the center console, as well as a knife that was sheathed in the driver's side-door pocket.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/10021187562

So it seems nothing was visible to a passing neighbor, etc....

Wyoredman

Keep your damn hands out of my car, and off any of my stuff! I don't care what you believe. Mine is mine and you are not welcome to it, ever.

I always have a loaded gun in my car, as do most Wyoming people (not counting those imports from the last decade or so). I am not familiar with FL law, but having a loaded gun in your car is NOT a safety issue. Having an un-loaded gun in your car may be a safety issue!

And for those of you moaning about his un-locked car, don't thow stones if you live in a glass house!

OK, so a loaded gun and knife in an unlocked car is stupid according to our unknown Samaritan; but taking a gun and knife, putting them in a paper bag on the front porch with a note on the outside that says "Loaded Gun = Stupid" is the responsible move?

Lots of well-intentioned but poorly thought through actions here.

jasmith85

If anyone actually gets in trouble for this I think both people should. The thief for obvious reasons and the gun owner for what sounds to me like reckless endangerment.

Wyoredman

Why would having a gun in your car, parked on your own property be reckless endangerment? I'm not getting this!

Unless in is illegal to have a gun in a car in FL? But it was still parked in his driveway, of his house, on his property when it was taken!

Old Grump

Member in memoriam
Why would having a gun in your car, parked on your own property be reckless endangerment? I'm not getting this!
Never had your car burgled by kids? Never lived in a large city with homeless people, alcoholics, drug addicts, mentally ill people and just plain old fashioned thieves have you? You don't think any of them wouldn't take a gun, I had a man just walking by while I was sitting at a red light open my passenger door and reach in for my handicap parking card. Only my dog and the loss of his sleeve saved my card.

Or do you think a gun falling into the hands of one of these people is alright. Your rights and the belief that your car is untouchable property means absolutely nothing to them. We are talking real world here and is why I left the big city and came back to the woods. I couldn't stand it anymore, to many of them, to few of me and it was illegal to shoot them. In fact it was illegal to own a handgun in the city without a permit and you didn't get a permit unless you had connections.

Time to face the facts old buddy, not everybody lives in gun friendly country and not everybody is going to respect your property even if the door is locked.

Remington74

I lived in a "nice" neighborhood that was just a stones throw away from an interstate highway. One morning the local Sheriff knocked on my door and asked me to check on my cars because someone had come thru during the night and opened all the unlocked car doors and ransacked them looking for valuables, guns, videos or whatever. It seems several guns had been stolen and my car, although obviously gone thru, had nothing of value taken from it. (Mayby thats because I don't own anything worth stealing?) Point being, that there are people who will look iinto your vehicle, try the handle, and if possible will take whatever is handy and easy to get, be it a gun, camera, CD's or whatever. A locked center console or glove box may or may not stop them. When I do travel during the day with a gun in the car, it usually comes out at night and into the house with me. If the OP's gun was not on the seat or otherwise in plain view his first mistake was not locking the vehicle when he left it unattended. That is just my experience in this cold, cruel world.