What do you think about the Series 81 in 22LR?

KCWebPlaza

I'd recommend the Ruger SR22 and the S&W M&P22. Both are light weight, reliable, not picky about ammo... I've used both with new shooters. For several women with smaller hands, they preferred the Ruger, yet no one had complaints about the M&P22.

I think the Buckmark and Ruger Mark series might be to heavy to handle comfortably if they don't have much strength...

Or, take them to the range and see what they have for rent and have them make the selection.

aarondhgraham

I own a model 87,,,

I own a model 87,,,
I love that medium sized gun,,,
But it's low capacity and very expensive.

It shoots well and I can hit nicely with it,,,
It runs Federal bulk well enough,,,
But I usually feed it MiniMags.

I really can't, in good faith, recommend it to anyone,,,
I bought mine as much for nostalgia sake as any other reason,,,
The other reason being that I have a Model 85BB in .380 ACP to pair it with.

Also it's going to be hard to find a new one,,,
Beretta took them off of their US website a few months back.

I just purchased a Ruger SR-22 last month.

LadyLilac-lr.jpg

Mine is the Raspberry color,,,
It also comes in Lilac,,,
And of course black.

Now this is a handgun that I can recommend,,,
10+1 capacity and comes with 2 mags,,,
So far it eats anything I've fed to it,,,
Very accurate and easy to shoot,,,
Much cheaper to purchase,,,
SA/DA with a de-cocker,,,
Easy to find new locally.

Oh, I almost forgot,,,
It came with two different grip pieces,,,
It's easy to change to the one that fits your hand

I have several medium to small rimfire semi-automatics,,,
This one is quickly becoming my favorite of them all.

Aarond

carguychris

RX-79G said:
I just noticed that [the PPK/S .22] looked stainless, and SS PPs were US made.
Now that I think about it, I believe you are correct, and your conclusion regarding the new gun is understandable.

FWIW the new PPK/S .22 is also offered in a "black" version; the Walther Arms website curiously doesn't refer to the finish as "blued" per se. However, having examined one at a local Academy Sports, I think I know the reason for this- I believe it to be some sort of satin-finish ceramic coating. I would most generously describe it as merely serviceable; it was evenly applied, but it's nowhere near as pretty as the blued finish on older commercial Walther or Manurhin PP-series pistols, or even the finish on S&W-produced blued centerfire guns, which has been criticized online by Walther enthusiasts.

Also, the Walther Arms website lists the DA pull weight as 17.5 lbs! :eek: Great googly moogly! Better keep up those grip strength exercises!
RX-79G said:
But it isn't a PP at all. It's a Hot Wheels car pretending to be part of a respected pistol series.
Actually, most shooters who have actually bought one seem pretty happy with the new PPK/S from a functional standpoint; that said, IMHO it's overpriced for a gun that's essentially a cheapened replica. :(

RX-79G

I'm going to editorialize a little:

If this was 25 years ago we'd be talking about the all steel German made Walther PP, Steel Astra Constable, Beretta 87 or the Bersa .22. All of which had steel slides, and the last two have aluminum alloy frames.

A little more recently the very Walther like FEG AP22 or SMC22 (steel slides, alloy or steel frame).

All of those guns are still available either used or new, but the discontinued ones are harder to find. I don't think it would be so awful to spend $850 on an heirloom quality Walther PP. It will go up in value and never wear out. But any of that list would be really nice to own in a smallish .22 of gorgeous quality.

Another interesting possibility is a CZ-75 Kadet - a full sized all steel gun. Solid quality, probably a little bigger than you need.

Of the other guns that come up, all of them are made of materials that are real compromises. The aluminum slide, polymer framed Ruger is probably the best of the lot - I assume they at least use a steel breachface. But the P22, PPK/S 22 and M&P22 all use zinc (pot metal). I just can't stand the idea of spending $300 or more on a zinc gun - I don't care who made it.

Of all the guns discussed, it would be easiest to get a Bersa ordered new today. I have only heard compliments on these nice little guns, and they've been around for a long time, and it is the right size for the job. Otherwise, hunt up the 87, PP, FEG or Constable. That's what I'd do.

Sevens

I can't comment on the original gun that is the subject in the original post as I know... well, nothing about it.

But it seems as if EVERYONE is just spitting out their suggestion for a .22cal semi-auto for the OP's wife to own for use in a group of local shooting ladies.

He also says makes mention that "being a bit hard to find" isn't going to stop him and that he likes quality and doesn't mind paying for it.

My suggestion -- perhaps it's a bit physically larger than the other players in this thread, but it's going to be a Colt Woodsman or variant, with the 4.5" barrel. Try a Colt Challenger or a Huntsman. Run like a machine, accurate as you might ask and fine looking. The quality? Unequaled.

If a group of ladies are going to gather in a social situation that involves guns, the guns are going have to be good lookin'. I pity the old gal that is stuck with the Ruger SR-22 next to the lady holding a Colt Woodsman or variant. ;)

RX-79G

Sevens,

The suggestions have been mostly compact DA/SA 22s like the 87, which actually aren't all that common. I know what you mean about random suggestions, but this is a pretty narrow and specific category.

spanishjames

He also mentioned that the "Ruger Mk I and a High Standard Citation were too big." I believe those are similar to the Colts in size and appearance. I think a lot of women prefer the cool, shiny, cute looking guns anyway. I'd bet if he showed his wife a new "Lilac" Ruger next to an "old fashioned" target style MK1, HS, or Colt, she'd choose the Ruger. Not all women gravitate to the shiny stuff, just the majority.

FALPhil

spanishjames wrote:
He also mentioned that the "Ruger Mk I and a High Standard Citation were too big." I believe those are similar to the Colts in size and appearance.

Actually, the issue is the ladies want something they can easily conceal. Considering the largest if them is 5' 9" @ 140 lbs, you can see why the old fashioned plinking/target guns are "too big".

spanishjames

I hope they have fun, and stay safe with whatever they decide to get. Good luck with the search. Some pics of the shootin' gals would be nice too.

aarondhgraham

Size comparison,,,

First off these guns are the .380 ACP versions,,,
They are the Beretta 85BB and the Bersa Thunder 380,,,
But they are identical in size and shape to their .22 counterparts.

BersaBeretta.jpg

I absolutely love my Beretta 87,,,
It's a fine performer and very accurate,,,
But so are my Bersa Thunder 22 and Ruger SR22 pistols,,,
I paid more for the Beretta than I did for the Bersa and Ruger combined.

The Ruger and the Bersa both have 10+1 capacity,,,
The Beretta is 8+1 capacity.

The Beretta 87 has a safety,,,
The Bersa and Ruger have de-cockers,,,
Lots of people will disagree with me on this,,,
But I do believe that de-cockers are more preferable.

I bought my Beretta(s) because I simply love the pistol(s),,,
I consider my Model 85BB and 87 to be sparkly jewels in my gun cabinet,,,
And if someone said to me "I'm getting a Beretta model 87." I would congratulate them.

But as a carry gun I think the Bersa and Ruger are the more practical options,,,
Notice I didn't say that they are the better options,,,
Just more practical is all.

Aarond

FALPhil

Well, I have been spectacularly unsuccessful at locating a Beretta 87 that the owner is willing to part with for under $900. So, today, I went shopping. I looked at

- Ruger SR22
- Walther P22
- Sig Mosquito
- Browning Mini-1911

I could not find a Bersa in 22LR, but there is a gun show in town next weekend, and I will look for one there.

Thoughts:

The SA trigger on both the Ruger and the Walther were pretty doggone good. Not so good on the Sig, which had noticeable creep and a sloppy break. Non of these three pistols showed signs of camming in SA mode. The Ruger had the easiest DA trigger, with the Walther a close second. I did not try the DA on the Sig. The grips on the Ruger and the Walther were diminuitive, probably just the right size for the wife. The Sig was more like a full size gun - it fit well in my hand and was quite comfortable. All three of these guns were lightweight, with the Sig being the heaviest because it was the largest.

The LGS had 2 of the mini-1911s. I was enthralled with the one I handled. It appeared to have an alloy frame and slide, and all the controls were located and operated exactly as I expected. Except that it had a magazine safety, which threw me at first. Operating only in SA mode, the trigger was heavy and not as crisp as an out-of-the-box 1911. Two thing bothered me enough that I would not consider this a candidate for my wife: the trigger and the sights. The sights were as bad as any I have seen on a modern pistol. Granted, they were to scale for the mini-1911, but they were almost too tiny to be seen in anything but the brightest light.

Right now, if I had to choose, it would be between the Ruger and Walther. I am headed to the gun show, and I will be looking for other candidates, most notably a Beretta 87, if there is one to be had, the Bersa, a steel PPK or PPK/s (but I hear that their triggers are not the greatest), and maybe an ISSC.

Cheapshooter

I would suggest she takes a look at the Browning 1911-22. A 3/4 scale 22 rimfire version of the Colt 1911.
I have a Walther P22, and have had no problem other than ammo related. It fortunatly likes Remington Golden Bullets from the bulk pack, and tolorates Winchester bulk. Of course Her favorite is CCI MiniMag.
That being said, if I were to buy another 22 in that style It would be the Ruger SR22. I have no problem with the little Walther's ZAMAK (not zinc) slide. But the Ruger has a couple improved features.
If small is what they are looking for, take a look at the Taurus PT22, lighter PT22 Poly, or the bit more costly Beretta 21a. These are all similar "tip barrel" small pocket semi-autos. The barrel can be released by a lever, and pops up to load the first round.

whip1

Lots of good suggestions. Since the OP's wife already shoots a revolver, how about a S&W 317? It will shot any .22 ammo, and it replicates her bigger gun.

Beretta also made a smaller .22 with a tip up barrel. The model escapes me, but those were nice little guns.

WIN1886

Beretta model 87

I have both a standard model 87 and the 87 Target ( fixed barrel ).....for my needs I prefer the target version but the standard 87 has been reliable , is a fun plinker , and is easy to carry ! I can shoot the target version waaaaaaay better ! :)

kmglock

If you are between the Ruger and the Walther, go for the Ruger. The Walther slide is made from very low quality "pot metal" and will start to wear out very quickly. I sold mine because of it. The Ruger is basically the same gun, but with better quality components.

aarondhgraham

kmglock gave good advice,,,

If you are between the Ruger and the Walther, go for the Ruger. The Walther slide is made from very low quality "pot metal" and will start to wear out very quickly. I sold mine because of it. The Ruger is basically the same gun, but with better quality components.

This was my impression as well,,,
I looked at both guns at The Evil Pawn Shop,,,
The Walther felt like a toy while the Ruger felt like a real gun.

I'm not going to say Ruger copied the Walther P-22,,,
But the resemblance between the two is uncanny.

Aarond