What Do You Miss The Most?

22-rimfire

I would too if you like 44 mag or perhaps you have a 45 LC version. I have never owned one. I always kept hoping Colt would bring it out in 41 mag. They didn't and I bought other brands of 41 mag revolvers. But Colt is my first love.

Single Six

I was also fond of the S&W 645, which got left in the dust by the Third Gen series. The DA pull on the 645 was not so great [especially when compared to it's successors], but man oh man, was that thing ever reliable. Even Sonny Crockett replaced his Bren Ten with one.

timn8er

+1 on the S&W 3rd Gens! I've only got three & I need ten more. If I could find
a Model 4013TSW in good shape at a price that I could afford, I would be one
happy camper!:cool::D

carguychris

The J.P. Sauer & Sohn 38H. This is IMHO the niftiest of the Nazi-era .32/.380 German pocket autos, but was sadly never reintroduced after the war.

[EDIT] Thought of another one... the Beretta 81-series "BB" variants with the high polish blue finish, gracefully curved trigger guard, and the cocked-and-locked non-decocking safety. The current 84FS & 85FS with the ugly matte black finish and square trigger guard just don't float my boat.

Last edited:

ClydeFrog

Interesting firearms trivia...

I read a online item that gonzo writer & well known author; "Dr" Hunter S Thompson killed himself with a S&W model 645 .45acp pistol.

ClydeFrog
PS; I would like to buy a NIB Colt Python .357magnum too. As a teen, I read a few gun press items that stated the Python was the Cadillac of DA(double action) revolvers.

seeker_4

Colt Python... carried one for years, then went to S&W 686, 6 shot, not plus, and 2 1/2 inch 686... all finally tuned by a gunsmith in Oregon, that was a friend and I also miss.....

Single Six

Can't fault you there. To me, the Python [also the Anaconda] was a gorgeous, yet very tough looking, revolver. That's all I know, since I've never owned or shot either one.....:(

44 AMP

Staff
Which ones do I miss? Why, ALL of them!:D

Which ones do I miss the most? Probably the ones I have spent the most time and often money obtaining. I just realized that, without any real concious intent, the majority of my guns are either completely discontinued guns, or discontinued variations of guns still in production.

Anyone who develops an interest in historical guns automatically finds themself in the "discontinued" category.

Milsurps, by definition are no longer current use and normally current production.

Most of us will never get the chance to own many those "special" guns that we have always been interested in. Sometimes we can scratch that itch with a reproduction, or something similar.

So many great guns have been discontinued over the years it is difficult to decide.....

I think the ones I miss the most are not a single gun, but a class of gun, those that were built all over the country by often gifted gunsmiths (NOT Bubba) who just built fine rifles and never became "name" smiths doing national business. They used to be all over, now only a few, here and there.

Todays modular designs are technically better, being much more versatile, plastics and alloys are much more ...efficient. Accuracy is much improved from that bygone era, generally. Or at least it seems to be that way to me, I read it on the Internet.

It used to be that a MOA rifle a real good gun, and anything that did even a little better was a real gem, and not to be rid of lightly. It usually took a lot of work to get a gun to shoot that well. Today, it seems to be much easier to do it.

But, even so, what I miss that (mostly) seems to be discontinued is the soul of the steel, the marriage of metal and wood. The personality that each one had, the individuality of the wood, those kinds of things. Oh, I can still get them today, newly done, but it does cost, and usually takes quite some time as well. I miss when it was common, cheap and easy, maybe the most.

1) The K-38 Masterpiece.
2) The K-38 Masterpiece.
2) I will have to give this some thought
I'm with you. I was shocked when Smith pulled the Model 10 from their lineup a couple of years back. Heck, I just miss K-Frames altogether.

I miss cheap Enfields for the sake of the current generation. They should be learning on that rather than those AK-47 clones.

ClydeFrog

K frames...

I agree.
The S&W K frame was a real work-horse(or maybe "war-horse" :D) for many years.
Author & retired FBI profiler; John Douglas wrote in his non-fiction book how his first FBI issue revolver was stolen from the glove compartment of his VW bug. He learned to always carry his sidearm & toted the exact same S&W model 19 2.5" barrel .357magnum for over 18.5 years. ;)

The model 19 & stainless 66 line filled a lot of holsters across the USA for a long time.

Clyde

Single Six

Tom Servo: I have a soft spot for the Model 10. When I attended the police academy in the late 1980s, it was a Model 10 that my sponsoring agency gave me to qualify with. This was, at the time, their issue sidearm. They also sent me to school with their issue shotgun: A Winchester 1897 [and yes, I'm totally serious]. Man, did that thing kick like a *#?!%$ mule! :eek: