What Do You Miss The Most?

Single Six

What guns [handguns or long guns] can you name that are now discontinued, but you really wish were still being made? For me, it's an easy one: The S&W Third Gen autos. How about you?

ScottRiqui

I guess I've never really "missed" any particular guns, because they're durable items and there's a very strong marketplace for used guns. Anything that was made in my lifetime that I would remember well enough to "miss" is probably still available out there.

I guess I could say that I "miss" the time period when certain guns were a lot cheaper than they are now, though. I would have liked to have purchased a Python or a Springfield Professional 1911 before the prices jumped.

Last edited:

Single Six

Yeah, I also miss the Colt Anaconda. Presumably because they're no longer made, the ones on the used gun market cost WAYYY too much.

chiefr

Right now I miss the ability to find ammo and reloading supplies at pre election prices.
++1 on the Colt double actions and Delta Elite.

Sarge

I forgot the Colt Frontier Scouts and Peacemaker 22's. You are gonna cause me some grief with this thread, Single Six ;)

tomrkba

All S&W K-Frames

All S&W revolvers that do not have THE LOCK.

Browning High Power Mk III's that don't cost $900+ and factory magazines.

Mauser C-96 Broomhandles. Then again, they were discontinued decades before my birth. If I miss anything, it's the older Colt DA revolvers (Pre-MK-III Trooper action).

22-rimfire

It saddened me years ago when Colt discontinued the Diamondback revolver. But honestly at the time, I really couldn't afford to go out and buy 10 of them to make me feel better. Some might say... oh, but they are so valuable now. Well, that was over 25 years ago and yeah, they are valuable now. But until around 2000 (14 years after being discontinued.) you could find them for around $400-$500 in mint condition. So, maybe I'm comfortable with the way things are today and I don't dream that somehow Colt will bring them back.

The semi-auto Weatherby Mark XXII 22 rifle was another one. But frankly, Weatherby had them in their catalog for a lot of years and I only bought one. The bolt action Mark XXII is another story. I knew it wouldn't last under present economic conditions. Few will spend $900 or $1000 on a 22 rifle.

Slopemeno

Ruger #1s. Ruger Security Sixes. The Auto-5. The Colt 1903/1908s. Remington Model 8/81s. 870 Wingmasters before people started hanging all sorts of tactical crap off of them- hopefully in 20 gauge. Bolt action centerfire rifles that have nice walnut and high polish blue.

ClydeFrog

A few "greatest hits"...

The "Street-Sweeper" 12ga, the USAS 12ga(used by Steven Seagal in On Dangerous Ground, www.imfdb.org ), the SPAS-12 12ga(semi auto and pump, ;)) that just never caught on except in Hollywood. The Mossberg Bullpup 12ga was slick too.
The .40Super pistol caliber.

And finally, the most missed, best designed firearm is the ASP 9x19mm by Paris Theodore.
The ASP 9x19mm based on a S&W model 39 series pistol was light years ahead of other models. Theodore was a spy weapon genius. Bond used a ASP in a few 1980s era James Bond novels. A ASP sidearm was also toted by the head of security at the US Embassy in Saigon South Viet Nam in 1975.
ClydeFrog

SC4006

I wish the colt python was still being made. The S&W 3rd gen autos should come back too, luckily I already have one (4006) that I'm never selling.

steve666

Astra A75
astra_a75.jpg

Skans

Ditto on the S&W 3rd Generation Autos. But, on the bright side, you can still find them relatively inexpensive.

Others:

Steyr GB
Megastar 10mm
HK P7M13
Bravermen Pen Guns
G.R.A.D. Knive gun (aow)
Sig AMT's

larryf1952

I have 2 of them, in .40 and .45ACP, but I sort of miss the Star Firestars. Heavy for a small gun, but I just really like them.

I've sold my Colt Python and Trooper MKIII, but I'm hanging onto my Anaconda.