What do you feel like when your shooting skills decline?

GWillikers, I may be demonstrating my dementia:D, but I reread my post and the OP's and I don't get your point. I didn't take a lot of time proofreading it, so if you're finding grammatical or spelling errors, I'd chalk that up to haste and a poor education/misspent youth. And if you're talking about my jump from his leaving a magazine out of his Glock to my discussion about disassembling a Glock, I was merely suggesting that the latter was another more serious error that could happen with someone who is losing details.

JC57

Hey Terry,

Based on our ages and service dates, we both got into law enforcement around the same time (I actually started a little earlier than you, 1978, and got out sooner in 1993).

I was nowhere near your level, but I used to qualify as a "Distinguished Expert" regularly back in the days of the mighty 6-shooter so I considered myself to be a pretty good shot in those days.

Well I stopped shooting when I left the force in 1993 and just got back into it in 2010. And the thing I've noticed is how much my eyesight has deteriorated, specifically my close-up vision. I can still see the targets ok but the sights are a blur. If I wear my reading glasses to see the sights, the targets are a blur.

I still shoot fine without any glasses at 7 to 10 yards, but those were the "easy" distances back when we had to qualify, and it was the 25-yard line where you had to work at it. Heck, if I hit the silhouette at 25 yards now it's pure luck.

So yeah, getting older sucks. But consider the alternative. Keep doing the things you love while you can, and don't be afraid to ask friends to help.

g.willikers

Yeah, bp, that was it, a confuzzling switch in subjects.
Or was it a skip in concepts?
Or maybe a leap in conclusion.
Or.....
Say, who are you?
Where am I?
What am I doing here?
:eek:
Did you guys know that it's supposed to be good for the brain and heart to stand on your head for about two minutes every day?

Strafer Gott

But you know, many of us greybeards still out shoot the kids. We need to pass along more, work with the youngsters. Buy ammo, supply firearms, training aids, whatever it takes to get those people proficient. It is a strength in numbers game. If you really want to keep the 2A alive, make it live with the young men and women who care about going hunting, shooting, and good old fashioned possession thereof.

Malamute

Best wishes in maintaining your shooting.

There's been some good comments. I'll add that you should be sure you get enough sleep. I often don't sleep well from a back problem, it can go on for weeks at times. I get rather forgetful when running without enough sleep, people make jokes about it when it happens. The back is better, but the lack of adequete sleep came to mind right away when reading this thread. Most people need more than they think they do, and function better when they get enough, according to the sleep studies I've seen. Most overestimate how well they function on less than adequete sleep.