What do you do with more than one of the same gun???

branrot

I like variety, and have a bunch of different guns for different purposes. However, a post by P99 got me thinking. Apparently, he has 6 Walther P99's. I've also seen people who have like 4 P7's, and every Glock in the book. Now I can see having 2 of the same gun if you like carrying with one of those double holsters like in Face/Off (New York Style?), or having the same gun in different calibers (ie, a P99 in 9mm and in .40), or maybe having 1 in the office and one at home, or one for you and one for your significant other, but why 6???

GSB

You must have two of the same gun if you want to be as cool as Chow Yun Fat in a John Woo film.

garrettwc

First off it was the other P99, not me;)

Some people fall in love with a particular make or model. Just like some car collectors will have a barn full of Mustangs, or VW bugs, or something.

You mention variety such as different caliber, which is one thing. Also on the P99s you have two different triggers, and three different finishes. So technically he could buy twelve and not have the same gun.

The possiblities are endless on a subject like this. (Think the shrimp list from Forrest Gump).

As for practical uses, using the Glock as an example, how about a full size for LEO duty or matches, and a small one for CCW or backup.

hksigwalther

For me, I like to collect. If I like a particular gun enough, I try to buy at least two. One to shoot with and one to keep in new condition. Particularly the German ones. Cost is the limiting factor on those, though. Occasionally, I'll find a cheaper gun that works out great like the Astra A-75 and MiniFireStorm9 and I'll get two of those. Easier on the wallet.

KP95DAO

One for carry. One for competition. One for practice. I guess I need to buy one more to be complete.

C.R.Sam

Like tater chips. Can't have just one.

Like snowflakes, no two exactly alike.

What's your excuse?

Sam

I have 2 S&W Model 19s, and 2 Model 28s.

One 19 has a 2.5" barrel, the other a 4".

One 28 is a 4", the other a 6".

So, they're the same, but different.

rock_jock

I almost never duplicate my guns. I like variety. I do, however, have both a 686 and 586. I don't know if these can be considered similar enough to say they are duplicates, though.

croyance

I have bought more than one Beretta, although in different calibers. My first gun was a 92 FS, so it fits most naturally in my hands. Getting an 8045 is just natural. It handles like a 92, and in times of stress that is important. I might get a Beretta 92 M, or a Custom Carry II for carry use. Although there are smaller and lighter 9mm handguns for concealed carry, familiarity is a big factor.
I have discovered that the Browning Hi-Power fits me very well also. This makes sense since I have two handguns on the 1911 pattern. I would hesitate to carry my Browning since they don't blue guns like that anymore. So I would like to get a newer Browning, maybe a Mark III or Practical, and make some simple changes for carry use. I only want to change to low profile night sights, paddle safety (a la carry 1911's), and Spegal thin grips.

citra45

There is an old saying, "Beware of the man with one gun". That saying speaks for itself. If a person becomes infinitely familliar with one defensive handgun, there is much less chance of any hesitation during an emergency. Be it revolver or auto, always drawing a gun with the same grip, weight, and feel from the same location builds confidence, and confidence produces winners.

Times change. Most of us nowdays have several different handguns, and some of us have a habit of changing our carry gun with the weather or the clothes we wear. I'm not sure if this is bad or good, but I do believe there is a lot to be said for the one gun concept.

Jager1

One for carry, practice and competition.

The others in the event the first one breaks and is out of service or is involved in a defensive shooting (taken by authorities for analysis).

Also, when the first one is 'shot-out" and beyond repair or recondition, moving to the second tends to be less expensive (seen the price increases myself).

Once you find one you like, you don't like the idea of being without it.

blades67

Don't forget special edition guns like the Walther P99 007 gun or the P99 2000 (only 2000 made).

The most important reason for having more than a gun or six is because we can!:cool:

Kermit

Blades hit that one square on the head :D Just like climbing Everest :eek:, running a marathon :eek:, or buying multiples (or variants) of the same gun :cool: Because you can!
Ain't America Grand!?!

ZekeLuvs1911

Well, I own 8 pistols of which 5 are of J.B. tried and true M1911A1 style. All in .45ACP. Ever wonder where I get my handle?;) I just happened to have fallen hard for the style since I was 12 yrs. old.

Flogger

When I like something a lot I tend to "stock up" I really like Dickies pocket Teeshirts and Thorlo trekker socks so I have plenty of them.I also like AR carbines so I have several of them as well.

It's gotta be linked to the "beware the man with one gun" thing.I have several of the same type of Glock in several slightly varying configurations and each of them resides in various locations and serve particular purposes.

CCW
Target shooting
Foul Weather/Backpacking
"Car Gun" never leaves my car

It's not a bad idea,it's just expensive

dairycreek

Why more than one gun?.............

Long ago when I found out I could not afford to buy every gun that I wanted I decided that I ought to develop some criteria. While the criteria are flexible they do tend to orient me so that when I buy a particular gun - it is for a reason and I feel satisfied with my purchase (at least for a while). That doesn't stop me from buying a gun just for the ---- of it but I have found out that, when I stay within my criteria, I tend to be more satisfied and for a longer time. So, two guns exactly alike? My criteria would not permit that. But two exact guns with different barrel lengths? I have a number of those combinations. This is what I do I am satisfied with it. So, what makes you happy?

Archer1440

A pair of HK USPc .45's. One for carry, one shot enough to prove packability and kept boxed, in a cool dry place. When the #1 wears out (another year or so at 10K rounds/year) then #2 becomes primary and I'll add another NIB one.

It's just a tool, but it's good to have more than one of the same tool if you are dependent on that tool.

JimFox

I have "close" duplicates of some guns - same gun, different configuration - just for the fun of it and because I like them. I do have a couple models where I have squirreled away exact duplicates.

Why? I found that they fill an exact nitch - and fill it very well, at least for me. And then the model gets discontinued.

The Beretta Model 70s in .22 is an example. Great back pocket field gun for small game. Unfortunately(?) the first one has outlasted my eyes - but just in case it hadn't, I'd put a couple of extras back when they were discontinued.

The Rem. Nylon 66 is another example. The Apache Black model with the chromed barrel/receiver. Drug one all over Alaska for three decades. Extreme cold, wet, dirty - whatever - it always came through. They've been history for a while now, but just in case my original goes belly up, I have a couple of extra put back.

I have another trio that is just hapenstance. Years ago a dealer was going out of business and had some Ruger 77/22s (with sights) at one hell of a discount. I got 3 of them. One for me, one for my father and one that I'd planned on giving as a gift. Never did give the third one away and after my father died, number two came back. One of these days I'll run across some youngster or two that deserves one. In the meantime they are paid for and don't eat anything.

The Berettas and the Remingtons were relatively low budget guns, but they struck a cord with me - and just fit the use to which I put them.

The Ruger 77/22 does as well, but they still make those. If Ruger drops that model tomorrow, maybe one of those will stay tucked away.