What do you do when you buy a used gun?

When you buy a used gun:

• If it looks ok I don't check it.

Votes: 14 12.6%
  • Field strip & do some basic checks for safety & function.

Votes: 84 75.7%
  • Detail strip & do a full check of safeties & function & carefully inspect all parts.

Votes: 16 14.4%
  • Take it to the local gunshop and have them look it over.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Take it to a qualified gunsmith and pay for a thorough checkout.

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JohnKSa

Administrator
After reading an incident where a person purchased a gun which turned out to have been dangerously modified, I began wondering how people usually handle used gun purchases.

Votes are anonymous and multiple options may be selected.

sigarms228

I rarely buy a used firearm and will only use a firearm I bought new for CCW or SD purposes.

I did buy a couple nice used German SIGs. I field stripped and cleaned them and while I had field stripped I check the firing pin block to make sure it goes up and down like it should and that the pressure to do so does not feel too light compared to my other classic P series SIGs. Also checked the trigger action to see how that felt and not too light compared to the others. SIG does offer a service to check your pistol and replace needed parts including new night sights for a very reasonable price and I would have used that if I had any doubt. I would rather do that than take it to a local gunsmith,

tahunua001

I do basic function checks unless it's someone I know. not sure if I'm said member you recall reading about but I did, through a series of trades end up with a horribly unreliable and possibly modified handgun because the person who recieved it before me performed no such checks and did not know anything about it and believed all of the lies the original owner told him.

after I get them home I always clean them which after the last acquisition, I am extremely thankful for due to the level of filth inside and complete lack of any lubricant. because of these incidents I'm about to begin a complete personal boycott on all used firearms since people in my area are apparently incapable of using common sense or maintain their firearms.

JohnKSa

Administrator
not sure if I'm said member you recall reading about but I did, through a series of trades end up with a horribly unreliable and possibly modified handgun because the person who recieved it before me performed no such checks and did not know anything about it and believed all of the lies the original owner told him.
That's certainly unfortunate. I hope things worked out ok for you.

As far as I know, the person I mentioned was not a TFL member. I'm curious to find out how cautious people tend to be when buying a used firearm.

KyJim

The only used semi-autos I've bought have been 1911s. I field strip them and do basic function check. That's included everything from a Springfield Mil-Spec up to a Wilson Combat. There's no guarantee but it sure reduces the odds of getting a paperweight.

TruthTellers

The first used gun I ever bought was online, from Gunbroker. It was an H&R 732 and it was used and abused. Two of the cylinders were out of timing and wouldn't lock up fully. I contacted the seller and requested a refund, which was given.

I decided then that older, questionable, out of production, used revolvers weren't worth dealing with online and are relegated to in person dealings.

Now, I just picked up a used Heritage .32 H&R Mag single action revolver I got off gunbroker and it's great. Thus, I'm of the opinion that it depends on what seller you buy from and what type of gun you buy.

You really have to trust your instinct with used guns. The best thing you can do is handle them yourself in person before you commit to buying them. For online purchases, buy from reputable dealers who have a high rating that aren't the busiest sellers on gunbroker. The busier the seller, the more chances they will make a mistake.

damienph

I do not field strip until after I get it home.

Before purchase, I give it a good visual inspection and perform a function check.
I usually buy from a gunshop where I trust the staff or from someone that I know or is a member of a gun forum that has feedback for their classified section.

I've bought a couple of guns that I was disappointed in after firing and a few that didn't function properly (as disclosed by the seller) but never one that didn't function as claimed by seller.

Last edited:

9x19

Field strip and function check.

I rarely buy a used gun I know nothing about. I've bought lots of used Glocks and 1911s, as well as quite a few revolvers and Ruger .22s, but I know them all pretty well.

jad0110

I do a basic function check and field strip (after asking permission) on ANY gun I buy, new or used. Remember, there are NIB ****s too, perhaps more than used (used ones may have already gotten the bugs worked out).

As a side note, I tend to buy revolvers used and autos new.

FITASC

Depends on the gun. Last few used ones were revolvers so a quick function test to see if anything is binding or out of whack is about it.

T. O'Heir

Same thing you do when you buy a used car. Mind you, with cars you get more buyer protection from government. With firearms you're usually on your own. Moreso if there's a sign in the shop, assuming there is a shop, that says 'All sales final' or you buy 'as is'.

TunnelRat

I field strip and do the basic function and safety checks. In my experience sometimes doing a full disassembly can give you more trouble than it's worth, but of course familiarity with the model comes into play. Gunsmiths for me are a gray area because I've seen the results of a number of people calling themselves gunsmiths that weren't good. Finding someone with real qualifications beyond word of mouth can get tricky. I have found two in my area that are quite good but one is a bit of a haul and the other works odd hours.

I'd add that before I'd carry or use a pistol for self defense, or even load it with live ammunition, I take it and shoot it at the range first for many hundreds of rounds to see if a problem rears its head.

Rangerrich99

For myself, it depends on who I'm buying from. Most of the time when I buy a used gun, it's from someone I know, so I field strip it, do a visual examination, reassemble it, and check for function. I'll also ask if they ever had any work done on it, but that's about it.

A couple used guns that I bought off of GB I took to a gunsmith I have used before and had him do a pretty thorough check of the guns, before I took them to the range.

Last edited:

JDBerg

I tend to buy used when I can't buy the same gun new, like my Sig P228, my Sig P6, my S&W Model 15, or the S&W 659 that I once owned. I've been scr@wed over on a few used gun deals, a CZ 75B Compact and a Gen4 G-22 come to mind, so I'll avoid most used handgun deals.

357 Python

I check every gun I get even though I may not strip it until I get home. This is even on guns I have ordered over the years. The only impulse gun I bought was a used 4" Colt Python. I gave it a cursory check in the shop and came back the next day for it. We did the paperwork and the NICS system was down so I had to wait for the next day. Great thing I saw the Python. It matches well with my 6" Python and after calling Colt to check the date of manufacture both were made the same year (1978) I graduated High School. The only thing I did not like about the 4" Python was the trigger shoe that was on it, but that was easily removed once it got to its new home.

trigger45

None of my glocks were ever bought new by me. I know what to look for. I also put a neg connector. In it and can spot if something is weird.

Also I have never bought a bad one. Have bought a total of 13 and currently have 5

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

bedbugbilly

I only have a few semis as I'm old and more of a revolver guy - but . . . .

What semis I have purchsed have all been new with the exception one and I learned on that particular used one. It was a Bersa Thunder CC - and I really liked it a lot - in store check made it look like it was just fine. I took it home with a couple of different brands of ammo and it seemed to eat everything fine BUT . . . after the first magazine - when I went from DA to SA, the trigger was so light that just the recoil and my finger on the trigger would cause a multiple discharge - as in like a double tap. At first i thought it was just me and not being used to the pistol . . but no . . . it was doing it with every magazine full. i ran around 50 rounds through it - cleaned it and back to the LGS it went. I explained the situation and they took it back with no questions at all.

I learned two things - be wary of "used" and be more wary of the LGS. They claimed it had been a trade in and had been checked. But, the guy who checked it was NOT and experienced gunsmith nor familiar with Bersas. While I was there, their long time "professional gunsmith" toolkit down and determined the previous owner had done a "trigger job". He did a "job" alright. I had intended to use it as a "pocket carry" on occasion and no way would I have done that the was it functioned. I learned with that to "buy new".

Revolvers I have no problems buying used but there is so much "shade tree gunsmithing" going on with "trigger jobs" and aftermarket add ons that I will only buy new - and I don't change them in any way - I learn to shoot them the way they are.

And, I'll add that I am looking at adding a couple of 45 ACPs to switch to for my EDC - and they will both be "new".

BigJimP

I buy quite a few used guns...

Quick function test, check timing if its a revolver, inspect what I can without pulling it apart...general cleanliness, etc... ( I reject more guns for dirt and grime indicating poor maintenance or careless owners than anything .../ but if they have significant or careless wear -- dings or dents I'll pass as well )..there will be another one down the road..

When I get it home...I do a complete bare frame breakdown on the gun, inspect, clean and lube -- before I take it to the range.