What do you consider "heavy usage" in a handgun?

By round count, what constitutes "heavy usage" for a handgun?

• 2000 or more rounds per month

Votes: 18 15.5%
  • 1000 or more rounds per month

Votes: 44 37.9%
  • 500 or more rounds per month

Votes: 37 31.9%
  • Up to 500 rounds per month

Votes: 13 11.2%
  • I don't know

Votes: 4 3.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BillCA

By round-count, what do you consider "heavy usage" in a handgun?

We are assuming:
- A quality built firearm
- Steel or Polymer frame
- Factory standard pressure ammo
- Normal cleaning and maintenance

What say you?

PT111

I suspect that at least 50% of all handguns are purchased, carried home, one box of bullets fired through it and then stuffed in a drawer wating on the BG to show up. Based on that I would say that any more than one box per month or even year is heavy usage or at least above average. :D

Hawg

I'd say 2000 rounds per month would be heavy. I don't shoot that much anymore but I used to go at least 500 rounds per week.

WESHOOT2

no choice

Over 30K/year.

Over 50K total.

Most guns, as already stated, get fired less than 500 rds in their 'life'.

(LOok at posts here, where bragging often occurs after "750" or "1200 rds so far", and WE are 'enthusiasts' LOL).

(okay, I wanna brag, too: The ONLY gun I own -not including wife's M38- with less than 750 rds through it is my NAA mini).

hhersh

I do about 1000 rounds per mo.

About 1/2 of those are .22 and most of the rest are 9mm with a few 45s scattered here and there. I think my usage is rather moderate. Hersh

tony pasley

A 45 acp 1,000 rounds per month most would consider heavy use but for a .22 that is just fun plinking. 4,000 rounds a month would just about be there.

sandbag

I have only one handgun I haven't fired.My Nambu Type 14 8mm.I can't find ammo for it that isn't outrageously expensive and I'm not sure it would even function correctly in the weapon.

Between my XD-40 and my Taurus Mil-Pro 40, I do about 240 rounds/month, 2880/year, give or take a few.:D My 357 revolver see's about 100 rounds/month. In my opinion, the more I shoot my pistols, the better they shoot. All the parts wear in and mesh, the triggers smooth out, they become more accurate, at least in my experience.

I also reload, so the ammo is not burning a hole in my wallet.

joshua

An average IPSC shooter will go through 500 ronds a month easy. A dedicated one will go through 1500 rounds easy.

BillCA

An average IPSC shooter will go through 500 ronds a month easy. A dedicated one will go through 1500 rounds easy.

Yes, but do you think that is heavy usage of the gun or not?

The question is about what you consider heavy usage to be. Think of it as buying a used gun from someone who says they put 'x' rounds per month thru the gun for the last year.

Lurch37

The question is about what you consider heavy usage to be. Think of it as buying a used gun from someone who says they put 'x' rounds per month thru the gun for the last year.

When you put it that way...and if I'm looking to buy...500 a month for a year would be a bunch, and I would look elsewhere unless the price was quite low.

PT111

Quote:

When you put it that way...and if I'm looking to buy...500 a month for a year would be a bunch, and I would look elsewhere unless the price was quite low.

Interesting comments. I suppose what would be considered heavy use would depend on whether you were buying or selling. :D

j1132s

When comparing w/ normal people, yes, 500 rounds/month on a pistol is _very_ "heavy usage". I don't think this usage will damage a quality pistol.

starshooter231

I had to vote for 2000 per month because I generally shoot about 200-300 per trip to the range. I have had my 1911 for a month and a half and already put 1100 rounds through it.

As for the 1 box of ammo through it and then put it away that is rediculous to me. How can you expect to be truely competent with a firearm if you don't practice with it? But that is just me.

mikejonestkd

For me, any centerfire that gets over 500 a month is pretty heavy use, especially at today's cost for ammo.

For .22s it is easy to go 1000+ a month in some of my plinkers. i am closing in on 30K since i have owned one of my pistols and close to 20K on a few others.