What deal do you most regret passing up?

RCS

Mine is a Colt 1911, manufactured in 1918. Almost all bluing was gone, however there was no pitting or rust anywhere. Slide to frame fit was perfectly tight, there was no play at all. All told it was in beautiful condition, and the shop was asking $475.
I, of course could not come up with this amount. This was only a month ago.

Andrewh

Mine was a brand new kimber. Me and a buddy were at a gun show in Fort worth, and this guy had a kimber on the table for about 500 bucks. It was just when they first came out, so we had never heard of them. We left, and stopped by a gun store where the owner told us he had a hard time keeping them on the shelves, and the two he had were going for around 650 to 700. We ran back to the gun show, and of course it was gone.

DorGunR

Back in 1971, in Sacramento, CA. an old fellow that I knew had a heart attack and was told by his doctor "no more scattergun shooting", this gentleman knew that I loved Parker shotguns and offered to sell me his SXS that was in excellent condition for $250.....as I was getting ready for a trip to Mexico, I passed on the deal.

Yeah.....I'm still kicking myself. :(

------------------
"Lead, follow or get the HELL out of the way."

Sub MOA

Mine is not a handgun story but rather a Leopold scope. I was at a local gun show. I walked by this table that had a variety of stuff on it, and on the very back of the table this Leopold 2x7 caught my eye. Picked it up. Price tag said $65! Tube was a little worn and a couple scratches but optics were fine. Older lady at the table couldn't answer any of my questions because it was her husband's table. Husband is currently talking to someone else. I set the scope back on the table as I peruse the other items waiting for the gentlemen. Literally five seconds after setting that scope down someone comes up from beside me, picks up "my" scope. At this very instant, the older gentleman turns around. The guy holding the scope asks the exact questions I had planned to ask. Offers the guy $55 and they agree on $60.

Although I really didn't need that scope, the whole experience still stings a bit. I learned a valuable lesson that day.

ckurts

Again, not a handgun story. 1992, just re-entering the work force after an extended stint in graduate school. Offered a CAR-15 w/ collapsible stock, 4 30 rnd mags for $450.00. At the time, "I was so broke I couldn't pay attention".

Arghh!

saands

I was in Prague in the Czech republic and saw a Minox spy camera (probably stolen from a KGB agent!) for $90 ... left it there, got to Germany and saw it for $450 ... didn't have time to go back! I also saw Glock 17's in Austria on that trip for about $117 NIB in the store ... thought maybe they were fake, but no. Didn't want to go to jail over that deal so I left them too!
saands

hoosierboy

a Glock 23C with tritium night sites and 2 hi cap mags the guy was asking $350 I offered him $300, and he walked!

------------------
"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force."

--Ayn Rand, in "The Nature of Government"

JNewell

An excellent-plus (maybe better) 1894 Swede, for about $450. Passed it up because at the time I was looking only for the really early ones. <slap>

Kentucky Rifle

About three years ago I purchased a Colt Mustang Pocketlite .380 for $385.00. The gun shop had Pony Pocketlites for the same price. I wish I had bought a Pony to just "put back" because at the last gun show I went to, Pony Pocketlites were selling for $550.00.

Will

------------------
Mendacity is the system we live in.

[This message has been edited by WLM (edited July 14, 2000).]

jimmy

(1) Colt's Series 70, .45, bright nickel, NIB. I told the dealer he wanted too much money for it ($650--this was ten years ago). He grinned and said, yes, but how often did I see as nice a one as that? He was right--I haven't seen a better one since at any price.

(2) NIB Series 70 GM in 9mm Steyr caliber!

(3) AR15A2 Government Model, brand new for $550 when it first came out. I figured I'd buy the next one that came along. But none did.

Bummer!

J

Jeff, CA

Not getting a Bushmaster and an FAL and all the standard-capacity magazines I could get my hands on before the end of last year.

mnealtx

Mine was back in the late 80's...knew a guy that due to bankruptcy had to sell off his collection. He had a Match Grade M14 that he was asking $500 for. I only had $300 on me and told him to wait while I went to the bank. Of course, by the time I'd gotten back, he'd sold it to someone else... :(

------------------
Mike
mnealtx@yahoo.com

houndawg

Russian SKS's when they were dirt cheap and everybody had them. Almost bought one at a gunshow but for some stupid reason I didn't.

Lucky Devil

A Norinco Model of the 1911, NIB, for $300. My reason for passing is similar to some of the other posts...no money. :(

I figured. "hey, no ones gonna buy this for awhile. I'll come back and get it." Damned if the shop/range didn't go out of business. And I can't find the guy to see if he still has it! :mad:

sks

H&K USC .45ACP at a gun show NIB for $799. Since I didn't know much about it I hesitated and could kick myself every day. Especially when others have paid $ 1,200 to $ 1,500 for that same gun.

Live & Learn.

------------------
The best weapon for self defense is the one you have when the need arises!

Piggy

% & W M 686 Revolver about a year ago for $270. It was like-new with less than 200 rounds through it.

Country Boy

Mine was a Winchester Model 12 shotgun at a farm auction. It was in EXCELLENT condition. Unfortunately, a college student at the time, my pockets weren't deep enough. I still have nightmares and wished I would have bid it up a bit more. Alas, it is a story as old as time, boy sees shotgun, boy falls in love with shotgun, boy doesn't have enough money to keep shotgun satisfied, boy waves goodbye to shotgun.