What cowboy action pistol

JB Books

If you want to get started right, I have a matched set of 1892 John Wayne 100th BD Winchesters that I'll sell. Still in the shipping box.

dgludwig

So, Jbar4Ranch, if you could have only one of those revolvers from your spectacular collection; the only one you could have for the rest of your life, which one would it be?

cimarronvalley

SAA pistols

Very impressive Jbar4Ranch!! Beautiful assortment. Also gorgeous country where you live. Do you know Ken Padget from Jordan? He used to participate in several matches in Montana and Wyoming. Sorry all, I didn't mean to get personal but I have yet to figure out how to send email to individual members.
Back to subject.
Dirty Harry, the first thing I would ask is how big is your hands? My hands are very large and the butt heel of the 1873 sets in the lower heal of my right palm. My cousin and her husband have been shooting CAS matches for over 10 years with great sucess (although they are both in their early 60s). Since I have 9 SA revolvers, they convinced me to come to a pistol shooting match and bring at least 300 rounds of ammo. I made the mistake of taking my Uberti with 5.5" and Pieatta 7.5" in 45C. So I loaded up 400 rounds that met their velocity/bullet rules and since I have shot these pistols many times before, I made sure I packed a couple of pair of golf gloves. Off I went. after about 125 rounds my right palm was so bruised and swollen that I couldn't even close it around the grip and the entire right middle finger of the glove was saturated with blood. I had to finish the match using my left hand (I broke my neck back in 70 with partial paralysis in my left side so my left hand is smaller than my right). I came in 14 out of 21.
I learned my lesson! That is why God made 38s! The next match I went to I took my pair of Uberti (5.5 and 7.5") 357s loaded with 38Spcl based on 38 S&W powder charges. I came in 8 out of 27 and was able to sign my score card after.
After hand size, what type of shooting do you plan on? If you plan on hunting, then there is only one answer; Ruger Blackhawk or SuperBlackhawk. As far as I know, these pistols have the highest pressure ratings of any commercial SA revolver. If you plan on short range plinking or CAS, start off with the Uberti's and Piettas (they are both exact replicas of the Colt 1873 SSA. I bought all 4 of mine for less than $300 each and despite others opinions, they have a great finish. Curently CDNN has the Pietta under Charles Daly name for $289. Good luck.

Jbar4Ranch

Nope, never heard of Ken Padget. There's nothing wrong with .38's, I occasionally shoot them myself when shooting gunfighter class, and my 14 yo daughter has a couple pair of them too.