What cowboy action pistol

Dirty_Harry

I want to be like the Duke and own one of these suckers. I need help on calibers and which gun. I really don't want to spend a lot either.

saber9

Get the newest model Ruger Vaquero in .45 Colt. Just don't use souped up magnum velocity loads in it.

The original Vaqueros are great revolvers in every way. However, they are much larger and heavier than the newest models. The new ones are more nearly the size and weight of the original Colt.

imdarren

I'm a "Big Bore" fan, so I would go 45cal, but most cas shooters shoot the 357 with 38spcl loads. They are easy to shoot lots of ammo through without discomfort.
I'm a big fan of the U.S. Fire Arms pistols. They are some of the best quality guns out there right now. They don't have the transfer bar safety like the Ruger so carry an empty chamber under the hammer. This is the closest gun to the original Colt however, and some say built better than the Colts.

See link.
http://www.usfirearms.com/cat/cowboy.asp

yourotherleft

I think if you can specify your budget, it'll be helpfull. EMF has a single action revolver called 1873 Great Western Custom II that seems pretty attractive. Color-cased by Mr. Turnbull. It retails around $689. Not sure if it fits your budget, but it sure is the revo I'd like to have. If you want a better want, of course there's always USFirearms. :)

IMHO, all cowboy shooting guns should be .45colt. I think anyone that shoots .357's loaded with weak .38spl rounds for CAS should be forced to wear saloon girl outfits. :)

Barrel lengths can vary but I prefer the 5.5" ones. I personally use two EMF Hartfords. They are produced by Uberti and are very nicely made.

EMFhartfords.jpg

Jart

You're referencing CAS and the Duke - makes a recommendation tough but it's always fun spending other people's money.

If the intent is to actually join SASS and do a little CAS, the folks at SASSWire would suggest you go to a few local meets and try out a bunch of stuff first - the prevailing wisdom is that buying the firearms first is a mistake. Horse. Cart. That sort of thing. Also, you'll need two.

If, OTOH, you're just looking for a 1873-ish looking thing for general fun your options increase - you'll only "need" one - might impact the budget considerations. If you're not intending to "race" I concur with PBP - .45 Colt seems somehow "right". If you just have to have the brand carried by the Duke in the movies, I'd guess this was usually the Great Western. Many of the films were made during the time Colt was out of the business of making SAAs - 1940 thru 1956 or thereabouts. 'Course now Colt is making SAAs and Great Western has been gone since around 1962.

It isn't exactly rocket science to stay safe with Colt or Colt-type lockworks but if you want to load all six, you might want to stick with Ruger, Beretta Stampede or some other transfer-bar product. I believe CDNN is closing out Gauchos - might be some bargains there.

Lots of options available in 1873-ish "5-up" product that won't break the bank. If it seems overwhelming, take up the SASS folks on their offer - there's usually no shortage of people eager to let you try their revolvers at one of those shindigs.

seeker_two

I agree with everyone's suggestion......but I would go for the .357Magnum chambered models instead. They can shoot .38SPL loads, too; and either load can be found a lot cheaper than any .45Colt loading....

If you handload, however, all bets are off.... :D

CraigC

Depends on how much you want to spend. At the top you have USFA, a better gun than Colt ever built. Then you have Colt, they cost as much, aren't as good but they have that all important (to some people) Colt name on the side. Then you have several gussied up imports with nice finishes. Those from EMF are mighty nice lookin'. There are several importers of Uberti-made guns that are getting better all the time and won't break the bank. Cimarron would be my preference here.

Personally, I don't pay too much attention to those with transfer bars. Unless we're talking about adjustable sights.

There's a lot of guns out there to choose from so we can't really point you to anything specific. You'll have to just get out there and handle a few and see what you like. From there you can decide how much you want to spend. If you want yellow bakelite (or something like it) grips you're on your own.

I think anyone that shoots .357's loaded with weak .38spl rounds for CAS should be forced to wear saloon girl outfits.

I agree but I prefer .44's. ;)

tplumeri

Im partial to the vaquero, but my blackhawk convertible (357/9mm) lets me shoot the cheap 38 and 9mm rounds but still has enough punch for hunting

Last edited:

tplumeri

Yeah, hunting for a sale on frilly cowgirl outfits

Ive GOT to get them on sale, I am forced to survive on the meager income of a small town doctor.
Im not independently wealthy like some people.........:)

Hawg

As far as I'm concerned there's only three calibers worthy of a single action. .45 Colt, 44-40 and 38-40. I'm partial to the 44-40. Ruger doesn't enter MY equation. Nor does anything else that doesn't have a hammer mounted firing pin. But that's just me.:D

Jim March

The first thing to decide is "are you going to shoot it in CAS/SASS competition?"

If it's going to be a competition gun, you'll want fixed sights. If not, you CAN go with adjustable.

You also need to decide whether or not you want a transfer-bar safety and the ability to pack all six loaded, or no safety and carry "five up" (hammer on the empty cylinder).

The best choices in transfer bar guns is Ruger and Beretta. There's also the Taurus but the quality control reports are grim.

Among the Rugers, the mid-frame guns are the best quality control - that means the "New Vaquero" similar in size/heft to a Colt SAA, or it's adjustable-sight cousin the 50th Anniversary Blackhawk in 357. The larger-frame series are on average not quite as tight but good specimens can be identified via the "checkout" (see stickied post, this forum). They're larger and stronger, able to shoot the 44Mag or 45LC+P ammo that's as hot as the 44Mag and in some cases even wilder.

If you want a no-safety variant, Uberti dominates the low end and aren't bad...by "low end" I mean just a small step behind Ruger's quality. Some of the high-end no-safety guns by Colt, USFA, Turnbull and STI are just phenomenally good guns beyond anything Ruger offers, but also double the price.

Except for the USFA Rodeo.

The Rodeo is built as tight as other USFAs but has a much plainer finish. It's an excellent value.

Also worth owning are the Cimmarons, which are Ubertis, except that Cimmaron stations a quality control guy in Uberti's plant in Italy, does their own US-based warrantee and support program, etc. You'll get a better looking gun than the USFA Rodeo at around the same price, but mechanically the Rodeos are just awesome.

---

My gun wasn't bought for competition - it's a shooter and CCW piece :). It's a Ruger New Vaquero in 357, modified sights, SuperBlackHawk hammer, spring kit, modified grips and...some "psychological warfare" action:

vaqhawk.jpg

Absolutely no regrets, it's a sweet shooter. I am however considering an upgrade to either 44Spl or 45LC so I can get good power without going supersonic (major noise). With this class of gun, there's more raw power on tap in 357Mag than any other caliber...any of these modern Colt SAA clones can shoot the wildest Buffalo Bore, Doubletap or Grizzly Ammo "monster fodder" in 357, with up to 800ft/lbs energy on tap. As big-bores they top out around 500-550ft/lbs energy safely.