What! copper brass?

brickeyee

I just reduced the concentration a bit and the problem went away.

Removing a layer of copper form brass that has had the zinc removed is hardly "reducing the concentration."

The inside of the case is likely about the same, so you have reduced the brass thickness by twice the thickness of the copper you removed.

Removing brass from cases intended for ~65,000 PSI is not the best idea.

testuser

Removing a layer of copper from brass that has had the zinc removed is hardly "reducing the concentration."

I think you misunderstood.

"I just reduced the concentration a bit and the problem went away. "

More simply put...

- High concentration of the citric acid solution caused this to happen to me.

- Reducing the concentration prevented this from happening again.

- The concentration was lowered and now it does not occur.

- Impacted brass was monitored and is not brittle, does not stretch excessively, that is, nothing out of the ordinary at all.

If there were spots inside the case, then that didn't end up being relevant. Still, he'll have to make his own assessment on his own brass. I only have to go some photos on the internet. I wanted to relay some information about a simliar incident.

In my case, everything was fine. Cleaning brass with a mild acid is safe, so long as the concentration isn't too high, and has been recommended in the past by the NRA and practiced by large arsenals.

brickeyee

Even sulfuric acid has been used to clean cases.

It needs to be diluted enough and washed away fast enough to not eat at the zinc.

If the cases come out copper colored you removed some zinc.

Lower acid strength or less time with acid on them, or just use a tumbler with some mild abrasive (like jeweler's rouge).

zxcvbob

I would still use those cases. If I were counting my number of times reloaded and planned to retire them at 5 or 6 because they were hot loads, I might bump the counter.