What companies DON'T use MIM parts in their pistols?

P99AS9

What current firearm manufacturors don't use MIM parts in their auto pistols (other than high quality 1911's such as DW, Ed Brown, etc.)? I'm wondering because I hear stories of metal injection molding parts on guns breaking on guns and it concerns me.

Sturmgewehre

Really? I would be more concerned with the MIM parts found in jet aircraft engines and even MIM parts found in your own cars engine (the crank shaft is most likely MIM in your car) before I would worry about it in a handgun.

MIM is everywhere and if done properly there's nothing wrong with it. If you're concerned with MIM, I would ask who has the lowest quality MIM parts and avoid that manufacturer. But MIM itself is just fine in most applications and is far stronger than it needs to be.

crockett007

MIM was developed to eliminate antiquated processes that added unecessary cost to metal component products encompassing aviation, automotive, military, marine, mining, and last but not least firearms. The technology has been in use for decades.

Everytime you drive, fly, mow the lawn, run a bulldozer, go boating, etc. you're relying on many components that are manufactured using the same process as a Kimber 1911 sear.

All metal parts (even forged ) can fail from a defect that is not detected during manufacture, or when pushed beyond specification and/or design limits. All this specualtion on the boards about MIM is just so much hot air.

You pay your money and you take your chances. IMHO.

WoofersInc

Probably not many now. I'm not a fan of MIM. It was developed to save money NOT improve quality.

Actually I think you would be suprised at the number of manufacturers that use MIM parts. A couple of the high end 1911 guys don't, but just about every main gun company uses the stuff.

gc70

Technology changes and manufacturers adapt. Sig aficionados generally prefer older P-series pistols with slides made from stamped and folded steel over newer guns with milled slides. Sig did not change to milled slides because the product needed improvement, but because the advent of CNC milling machines made the production of milled slides more efficient and economical.

BTW, current Colt 1911s use three MIM parts, which could be replaced with Wilson Combat parts for less than $100 - or you could pay $1,000-$2,000 more to buy a pistol with the Wilson name on the side.

Last edited:

schmeky

The connecting rods in Corvettes are injected powder metal, a form of MIM. Holds true for most modern engines.

My Kimber, with an MIM manual safety and sear, has run for thousands of rounds and the sear looks excellent to this day. I see no need to change it.

MIM is mostly bad due to folks on forums saying its bad. I read recently of a Les Baer owner's bar stock machined sear breaking and locking up the trigger group in a brand new pistol.

mete

In the early days of MIM there were problems like all new technology .However now things have advanced and the MIM parts are no longer a problem.

gyvel

More than likely, Hi-Point uses the least MIM parts, because 90% of the pistol (that isn't plastic) is pot metal JUNK.:barf:

DBAR

I don't think many of the European manufacturers use MIM yet. I don't think CZ, or that Turkish company making guns for Armalite does, but I could be wrong.

I have Kimbers, and Sigs with MIM, and they've worked fine. Nothing has broken yet, and I'm happy with them. Every once in a while, I think about the MIM stuff, and consider changing everything out. Then I usually take the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" approach.

DBAR

HisSoldier

Dan Wesson's use no MIM, early ones did. I'm not one easily convinced that MIM is the equivalent of milled from bar or even investment cast.
If your gunsmith starts saving broken parts in two coffee cans the one marked "MIM" will fill much faster. If MIM were equal to real parts 1911 extractors would be made of MIM.

If companies could recycle toilet paper and sell it to us they would.

DBAR

I don't consider the comment made about Hi Points to be "Trolling", but it could of been said a little nicer. I don't want to offend the "hi point" crowd, but there's a good chance that they don't use MIM. MIM might be too expensive....

DBAR

Skans

All the OP asked was which manufacturers don't use MIM parts. Not which manufacturing process is better.

I'd like to know the answer to the OP too.

FWIW, Rolex uses a different kind of stainless steel - 904L than most other watch makers. Most other swiss stainless steel watches are made of 316. But, just because 316 is more common doesn't necessarily make it better. Sure, the cost is a little higher for 904L as opposed to 316, but we're talking pocket change in these quantities. Folks who buy Rolex just want to know that their watches can be distinguished from all other watches. Nothing wrong with that. Likewise, some folks just like to know that their parts are all forged.

DBAR

I agree Skans, but it's going to be really tough to put together a list with any real creditability.

I could say CZ, Kahr, Les Baer, DW, Wilson, Ed Brown, Night Hawk Custom, H&K, and others. The only problem with this list I'm making is that it's just speculation. I "Think" they don't use MIM, but some may use MIM in a manor unknown to me. It's kind of like KAHR, their using it in their CW series, so what's to stop them from sneaking it into some of their other models. It's not like they have to tell us, how would we know unless we worked for them.

I'd still like to see a list of manufacturers that we don't believe use MIM....

DBAR