What cartridge for hiking in Grizzly country?

What should I carry in Colorado grizzly country?

• .44 Magnum Snub Length

Votes: 7 9.3%
  • .44 Magnum Full Lenth (>=4")

Votes: 46 61.3%
  • .454 Casull Snub Length (<=3")

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • .454 Casull Full Length (>=4")

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • .480 Ruger Snub Length (>=3")

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • .480 Ruger Full Length (<=4")

Votes: 7 9.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

disseminator

Just curious, those of you who are opting for 10mm, what loads are you carrying?

Only reason I ask is that I could have swore that outdoors people up here swap out their barrel first. But a brief google search didnt result in any details about that. Its late, i havent had my afternoon sugar fix, so I could be mistaken. But if I am not, and you all DO change out for a different barrel in your 10mm, please let the rest of the class know.

Most will use 200g or heavier Hard Cast Lead.

Standard Glock barrels have a type of rifling that is not well suited to Lead bullets and so Glock does not recommend using them.

So people buy an aftermarket barrel such as a Lone Wolf brand barrel which has more typical rifling that works well with the hard cast lead bullets.

I use a 230g WFNGC lead bullet at about 1100 fps out of my Glock 20 and it shoots them well, but I don't run into a lot of Bears where I don't have a rifle with me.

Cosmodragoon

Hey, it's a popular question and for good reason. Being in a spot where big wild animals might be more of a risk than dangerous people gives us an excuse to think about powerful handguns that otherwise wouldn't see much practical defensive application.

The sad part is that the right answer is pretty similar to what you'll find with normal carry within the appropriate power ballpark. It has everything to do with what you can comfortably carry, reasonably control, and actually have on hand. Just remember that bullet construction can be a pretty big factor here.