What can you do with a .17 rimfire rifle?

bearhuntr

Every time my wife and I have my Savage 17 out we end up shooting it more than anything else. It is a fun gun to shoot and deadly accurate. I have only shot one raccoon with it and it was rather close but have gone out to 150yds and it is a tack driver.

kcub

I like the Winchester 1885 low wall a lot. Especially the color cased one. I may get one someday. Did you scope yours?

scottycoyote

personally i think the 17hm2 is the best squirrel round out there, and youll find quite a few who will second that opinion. Shoots like a laser out past 100 yards, instant lights out on most squacks

kcub

The Winchester 1885 low wall is my favorite of the three guns. That's because is such a great looking rifle, has an excellent finish, extremely smooth and extremely accurate. I am surprised how fast a round can be loaded, fired, and ejected with it. Great fun to shoot.

I was watching a pretty color cased one that had a straight stock on gunbroker but it sold. The others are blue and have a semi pistol grip. I'd like to get a color cased one with semi pistol grip but I don't know if they make it or not, do you?

Did you put a scope on yours or does it interfere with loading?

alex0535

Shoot it farther and more accurate than any .22 I've ever had the chance to shoot.

My $200 used marlin .17 hmr does better than 1/2 moa if I do my part. Inside 150 yards on a calm day, it's lethally accurate on a squirrel, even one on the move that far out isn't impossible by a capable person, I know because I've done it. I've made shots I would of never of dreamed of making with a .22.

What size target do you use for your .22 at 50-100 yards? With my .17 I like playing cards, I shoot out the symbols one by one at that range.

If you get one, and are using v-max aim for their heads as like the first poster said it's an explosive hypodermic needle. I've seen one blow a hole through a squirrel that produced a 4 inch wide exit wound and a cavity I could easily look through, squirrels front leg and shoulder was about 6-8 feet away from the rest of him. I have no doubt that if you hit skull of anything in this country with brain on the other side, that animal will drop like a rock. You can probably find the squirrel I was talking about on Google images searching ".17 hmr squirrel" but I'm not going to post it.

Last edited:
For my money, speaking specifically to HMR as opposed to Mach 2, I view it as for
-turtles
-crows
-prairie dogs
-fun range gun (the funnest longgun)

It damages too much meat to be a rabbit / squirrel gun.