what caliber did ya use on first whitetail

jammin1237

the old $80 sks 7.62x39 bought in the early 80s.....first gun, first deer, 6 pointer running through the woods, finally got em on the 5th shot...fun fun fun

HAMMER1DOWN

Haha sweet i am the first to post that i shot my first deer with a 7x57 mauser the rifle was a ruger M77 mark II and i have yet to use another gun

mudlust

remington 760 in 30.06 with 150gr. winchester silver tips. dont know if they still make the silver tips but I haven't seen them for years. Good bullet in the brush.mudlust.

ddeyo1

browning A-5 light 12 shooting remington 1 oz. sluggers. nothing pounds a deer like an ounce of flying lead

BurkGlocker

First deer I took was with a .410 shottie loaded up with S&B's 00 buck. I have taken more deer with that combo than with any of the rifles I have ever had.

MrClean

I'll join the exclusive 35 Remington club with 'sleepy'. Dad had loaded up some 200 gr Silver Tips and I leveled two back to back that the dogs were running. Devastating round.... both dropped immediately. Of course, I was lucky enough to be standing within 20 yards of them too. I'm sure that helped. :D

BK1977

a savage pump 30/30 with a tasco 4x, would have been a nice 6 but he broke a pt off, neck shot him at 75 yds. I remember getting fever so bad!!

mfree

Ain't happened yet, but the two guns I figure are the most apt in the collection are a sporterized type 99 with Lyman peeps and a scoped Marlin...

...so either 7.7 Arisaka or a nice middle-load 300gr LFP .444 Marlin :)

thallub

Took my first deer with a Beretta made 6.5mm Italian service rifle in 1952. He was shot through the heart and was DRT. Still have that rifle and the antlers of that 8 point buck.

pbrktrt

my first was a small doe with my grandfathers 16 gauge 870. i was 13 at the time. i gut shot her in my excitement & then ran her down. gramps chastised me for shot placement & chasing the deer but later said he was quite proud that i found it. he made me do the field dressing & i puked twice from the horrid smell. i told myself i would never shoot a deer in the gut again. i graduated after that to his woodmaster 300 savage pump & was considerably more accurate with that. thanks for bringing back the memories. great times with my grandfather. 43 years later i still have the love of the outdoors & hunting & fishing. i now use a custom Vanguard in 270 win & enjoy the sport as much as then.