What Best Defines Accuracy?

Bart B.

Smallest many-shot group.

Largest many-shot group.

Smallest few-shot group.

Largest few-shot group.

chadio

Not me with my AK at the moment :D:D

Still love the Kalashnikov, because you gotta work for it (accuracy)

Pahoo

Measuring Performance

What Best Defines Accuracy?

1) When it meets or exceeds, my expectations.
2) When I can take a second look at it and say; Wow, this thing shoots better than I can !!!

Ever finish a project and tell "yourself" that you did a darn good?

Be Safe !!!

jpx2rk

Does the ammo/gun combo shoot a consistently small group over several attempts on different days with different conditions. If it does, then it's "good enough". Different days will produce different results, so consistently small groups that you have confidence in hitting the target.

reddog81

Accuracy is determined by how far from the target you are hitting. Group size doesn't determine accuracy. Where the group is located is what matters for accuracy.

A .5" group a foot away from the target is less accurate than a 5" group centered on the target.

Bart B.

Accuracy is determined by how far from the target you are hitting. Group size doesn't determine accuracy. Where the group is located is what matters for accuracy.

A .5" group a foot away from the target is less accurate than a 5" group centered on the target.
Why do benchrest competitors shoot groups centered a MOA or more away from the point of aim?

Last edited:

Scorch

This is the old question of precision vs accuracy. If your rifle shoots very small groups it is precise, but not necessarily accurate. If your rifle shoots where you aim but it shoots 4 MOA, it is accurate but not precise. If it shoots very small groups exactly where you aim, it is accurate and precise. I think I got that right.

But anyway, accuracy is measured on a normal curve (dispersion from POA), just like a lot of things in the world. A number of multi-shot groups would give you a statistically valid quantification of the accuracy and precision of the rifle. A lot of shooters never quantify their rifles' accuracy, they just sight it in (accuracy) and shoot for groups (precision), then choose what to tell people about it (usually smallest group). I have seen a lot of "1/2 MOA" rifles that struggle to shoot MOA consistently, but one day a few years ago when somebody's friend's cousin was shooting it, it shot them all into one hole.:rolleyes:.

I build rifles and I guarantee them to shoot caliber-sized groups with the loads I test them with (I provide that info to the customer). Sometimes customers use that data religiously, and other times they do their own thing.

reddog81

You're confusing accuracy and precision. The 2 terms can be used interchangeably in common language but if you are asking about precise definitions than you need to make sure you are using the correct terminology. The linked article confuses the 2 terms also.

1 shot dead center on the bullseye is more accurate than any group.

My post hit after Scorch posted... His definitions are correct.

Scorch

Why do benchrest competitors shoot groups centered a MOA or more away from the point of aim?
So their point of aim is not affected by bullet impact. Most people have seen this as they sight in grampa's Ole Betsy for deer season. After about 2 or 3 hits to the bright yellow/orange/red/white/whatever target dot, it is no longer a good aiming point. But if POI is deliberately above POA, your sight picture will never be affected.

DaleA

I am pretty much the perfect dupe for questions like this so I'll put down my initial answer was the first choice the OP gave, Smallest many-shot group.

This was before reading any of the other posts in the thread. After reading the other posts I suspect stagpanther has the technically correct answer.

P.S. I also make a great mark for amateur magicians.

jmr40

I'm curious--why not just take a first shot and then use the bullet's impact as the POA?

Because the 1st shot was several inches from POA. The next shot will be several inches from that POA. If even on the target.

Everybody has different criteria. I'm 1st a hunter who just enjoys shooting as much as possible at the range. Not interested in squeezing the last bit of accuracy out of the rifle or ammo I'm looking for an average of multiple 3 shot groups shot on different days over a few months.

If that average is right at 1 MOA I'm happy. Most of my rifles and loads will occasionally produce groups under 1/2 MOA. Other times I'm just having a bad day and will get some groups closer to 1.5 MOA. That is adequate for what I do and at the ranges I shoot.

And when shooting for small groups I don't care where they impact the target. Once I'm happy with the group size I can always adjust the sights to get the impact where I want it.

Red Devil

Accuracy vs. Precision: Sharpen Your Shooting Skills

For me (From field positions):
Optic: < 2 MOA/few shots
Aperture: < 3 MOA/many shots

What then is a good field marksman? - Jeff Cooper

Does a soldier need to shoot well? Good question.
I know of three cases in which excellent fieldmarksmanship decided the action.
These were the Boers at Majuba Hill, the US Marines at Chateau Thierry,
and the Volksturm reservists at the Arnhem bridgehead.
There may be other such cases, but if so they are notwidely documented.
Chroniclers are rarely interested in battle techniques,
so the fact that something is notreported certainly does not mean that it did not occur.
Nonetheless, good field marksmanship is a rarity − in or out of uniform.

What then is a good field marksman?
In my opinion, a man who can hit a tea cup at 100 meters with his firstshot,
from a field position, in a 5 second interval is a good shot.
Try this test on yourself, but do not call forwitnesses.
People who talk about good shots are usually terrible liars.

Red