What are Your Firearms Biases?

Quentin2

As a child my firearms biases began forming. From movies and TV I loved military and cowboy guns, especially the Luger, 1911, Garand, Carbine, SAA and lever actions. I loved my dad's S&W Model 10. In the Army I discovered the M14 and M16. I pretty much still live in that universe but have accepted their descendants, for example the M4 carbines.

I was slow to give a fair chance to polymer handguns but now am a fan. They definitely have advantages but honestly there's nothing terribly wrong with my first loves!

LeonCarr44

Bias towards: Glocks, 870s, ARs, Benelli Novas. I lean towards any firearm that I can fix, build, or do sight and trigger work on at my kitchen table. When properly assembled, serviced, and fed decent ammo from decent magazines the above firearms have been virtually 100% trouble free for me.

Bias against: Any ammunition that uses non-reloadable cases, berdan primed, steel cased, aluminum cased. A buddy of mine says if I get into a gunfight I should have Blazers in my gun so I don't stop shooting during the gunfight and pick up the brass :).

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

Lohman446

I prefer manually operated rifles: bolt, lever, maybe the odd pump here or there.

I prefer hammer fired pistols and tend to prefer revolvers to semi-auto pistols and in auto-pistols I prefer classics (1911, Sig P232, etc) to modern pistols*

Shotguns are supposed to be break action. A pump is acceptable but they are supposed to be break action.

Cartridges should have been born long ago. The .270 was unveiled in 1925. The .357 magnum was developed in the 1930's. 9MM, .45, .38 Special, .32, .22LR and .22WMR are all classics. If it was not available in WW2 you don't need it*.

*There are exceptions to every rule. A Glock, preferably in 10MM, should be part of every collection.

CajunBass

When I was much younger, I managed to convince myself I didn't like the Browning Auto 5. As time went on, I was able to admit to myself that what I didn't like about it was I couldn't afford one. So I might as well not like it.

Never have owned one.

I don't have much use for a centerfire rifle. I've owned a few, a couple of Marlin 336's, a Winchester Model 70, SKS, Mosin's and such, but never used them much. So I sold them and haven't replaced them. It's not so much that Ii don't like them, it's just a I can't think of a reason to own one...pretty much the same for AR's and AK's.

I don't care for Sig handguns. No reason whatsoever...I just don't like them. I've never fired one. I don't think I've ever even held one. Might be the best thing since ice cream and cake, but I'll never find out.

Ruger's GP-100 and Smith & Wesson's 686 revolver...same thing. I've never fired one. I don't think I've ever held one. But just I don't like them.

dstryr

I am biased towards da/sa pistols over revolvers.

I prefer hammer strike semi-autos over striker fired; I like to put the hammer down and know the condition of the weapon.

I am biased towards pistols w/out a manual safety. I know, no matter how many decades of practice, my mind works this way: I'll think about it and do the opposite if SHTF and I have to draw and sweep a safety off. But with my back turned I heard my daughter tip a glass on the counter and instinctively knew where it would be when I turned around and caught it before it hit the floor. Reality is strange sometimes.

I am biased towards wood stocks on rifles and shotguns. Not that I don't have polymer/sythetic adorned weapons, but I prefer the traditional beauty of wood.

I am biased towards keeping things simple and though I would love to have more guns in various calibers, there are other things in my life so I keep to a few calibers overall.

I am biased towards exceptional performance over exceptional workmanship. Exceptional workmanship does not automatically mean exceptional performance.

s3779m

Bought a springfield xd 40 off of a friend who needed the money. Guess it is an all right gun but I can not warm up to striker action. Won't buy another.

robertsig

• Biased against polymer except my carry gun.
  • Prefer quality craftsmanship over utility.
  • Prefer Smith over Ruger for revolvers
  • Actually love SA/DA guns (like SIGs)
  • High preference for ease of field strip & cleaning.
  • I do like sexy guns - I don't care if that's pointless.
  • Like slightly "off kilter" variations, even though that means I may not have parts availability.

On Handguns, this list alone eliminates Glocks and most Rugers. I have a single Dan Wesson 1911 but not really a fan overall.

For that last point, I have a Vz.58 instead of an AK-47. I have a PWS MK116 piston AR instead of a regular DI. My favorite pistol is a Smith 626 PC in .45ACP with moon clips.

Bluestarlizzard

I think semi auto S&W's are weird. If you say "S&W", I think "revolver".

Dad just picked up the .45 Shield... My "meh" attitude towards it is in overdrive.
And I'll openly admit that I have absolutely no logical grounds for this attitude at all. I've never heard anything that makes me think that S&W produces bad quality semi auto pistols. I just don't want one.

Other than that...

Taurus is the gimmick of the week company and they suck.
Some guns/companies I will immediately throw on the flames just because I know someone (or a group of someones) that does like that company and I happen to think that person (or group) is an idiot. Bersa is on that list.
.380 AUTO is stupid.

As far as infighting between fans of whatever, I'm generally in the whatever floats your boat category, but I reserve the right to my opinion on that gun/caliber/accessory.

steve4102

Biased towards 1911.
Biased against a plastic especially long gun stocks.
Biased against handguns with no safety( glock has no safety)
Biased towards CZ rifles with their amazing accuracy and single set triggers
Biased towards over/under shotguns, luv the O/U.

Biased against wildcat in-between calibers that are supposed to resolve X problems (and usually don't or are so narrow specific to be useless).
Biased against miracle ammunition or bullets, but like to try them and see.
Biased against caliber snobbery.
Biased against Glocks (think they are a good gun, just not for me).
Biased against hokey firearms sayings that don't actually make sense.
Biased against worrying about whether or not a gun looks good.
Corollary - Biased for functionality and reliability.

jackstrawIII

My biases:

1. I'm anti Kahr. I had one of the cheap ones and it was the worst gun I've ever fired. I don't think I'd ever buy one now... despite the fact that they're a pretty well-respected company.

2. I'm anti Taurus. I've read WAY to many bad reports. I'd never buy one. When a company is known for shoddy QC, why bother?

3. I'm anti AK for some reason. To me the AK screams "Russians" and "Arabs". I'm an American darn it! I'm sure they're great, but I've no interest.

4. I'm SUPER pro CZ. I researched guns for years before I was old enough to buy one and decided on a CZ P-01 because nobody I knew had one. That freaking gun is amazing, and still my favorite shooter after all these years.

5. I'm torn on 1911s. I love the history and story of the 1911. I think they look great and are super classy... right up until I shoot them. I've owned a Springfield and a Kimber (both well respected brands) and didn't enjoy shooting either. Maybe I'll try a Dan Wesson or Wilson Combat... I really want to like the 1911. Really.

Baba Louie

Back in the day when stainless steel weaponry came out, it tended to gall. I heard my Dad discussing it with other knowledgeable men of the era as a negative.

To this day, even tho I do own a few stainless firearms, and they worked out the alloy mix to reduce that tendancy, my bias shows (too bright to shoot in the SW desert sun due to glare, etc) as I call them my Pimpers. Another bias perhaps.

Blued steel bias. Park'd in a pinch. Painted if that's all the maker's got going on, but dark and carbon steel. (for the most)