What are yall working on?

Nick_C_S

it is HOT outside and is gonna be HOT...

I know-right!?

My load bench is in the garage and even here in Idaho I have to load only in the morning right now. I was out there this afternoon "bulge busting" some 10mm and 45ACP, but at 92f, I wasn't out there long.

Ironically, it gets so cold here, I can only load six months a year - maybe seven, with heater assist. I was at the range yesterday and shooting some 45 ACP through one of my 1911's, and the ammo I was using showed I loaded it on 1/23/16. I was thinking: Those were the days (I lived in California at the time), I won't be seeing "1/23" on any of my ammo in the future :).

I kind of touched on it my last post (#12), to make so 357, 125/2400 rounds. Turns out, looking in my records, I already attempted such an experiment back in Sept '17 and I didn't like the results.

I need a powder with a burn rate between Power Pistol and 2400. I've chronographed Federal's "Hyda-Shok" 130gn ammo at a whopping 1430 f/s (4" bbl in all this post). I tested those Hydra-Shoks in Aug '14, and it's been gnawing at me ever since. I have never been able to get 125's to 1400. With 2400, I've gotten to 1372, but not without a huge flame plume and ridiculous recoil. There was room to further increase, but I was displeased with its slow powder behavior. Federal must have magic fairy dust for propellant.

Power Pistol gets me into the 1350 neighborhood and it's a great shooting round (should really leave well enough alone). I would think if there's a powder just a touch slower than PP, I could take it to 1400 without high pressure signs. (P.S. In workups, I have hit 1400 with both Power Pistol and AA#7 {go figure}, but not without obvious high pressure signs.

Anyway, I'm not really "working on" that at the moment. Heck, I may never.