what are the pros of all-metal-framed handguns?

jackstrawIII

I don't see the longevity issue as a telling one. I don't buy pistols with the intent of future generations using them, though I expect they will be able to.

I agree completely. I think it's crazy to expect a $500 pistol to last through the generations. What else that costs $500 lasts a few generations? Nothing. Your $1000 iPhone is going to be obsolete in 3 years... and yet you expect your CARRY pistol to last 100 years?

That makes no sense to me.

Plastic is lighter that steel and absorbs recoil better than aluminum. Will it last 100 years? Who cares. I'm going to carry/shoot is as much as I want then sell it and move on. 99.999% of the people reading this will never shoot more than 10,000 rounds through any of their guns in a lifetime. Longevity just isn't a factor.

So, back to the original question... benefits of an all steel gun.
1. Recoil managment
2. Classic styling
3. Might have a slight edge in resistance to certain chemicals

I can't think of any others.

Ps. I really like all steel guns. They're cool... but almost every single military and police force in the world has switched to plastic. Wonder why...

ballardw

I agree completely. I think it's crazy to expect a $500 pistol to last through the generations. What else that costs $500 lasts a few generations? Nothing. Your $1000 iPhone is going to be obsolete in 3 years... and yet you expect your CARRY pistol to last 100 years?

That makes no sense to me.

Plastic is lighter that steel and absorbs recoil better than aluminum. Will it last 100 years? Who cares. I'm going to carry/shoot is as much as I want then sell it and move on. 99.999% of the people reading this will never shoot more than 10,000 rounds through any of their guns in a lifetime. Longevity just isn't a factor.

So, back to the original question... benefits of an all steel gun.
1. Recoil managment
2. Classic styling
3. Might have a slight edge in resistance to certain chemicals

I can't think of any others.

Ps. I really like all steel guns. They're cool... but almost every single military and police force in the world has switched to plastic. Wonder why...
Since I have at least one revolver built before 1900 and several rifles in the same or older age range still functional and used, Yes I do sort of want things to last 100 years.

SIGSHR

Durability and shoot ability. Bullseye shooters never clamored for lighter handguns and how much range time do they put in ? In fact they often wanted more weight even with the light target loads they fired. On another board a member said he saw a titanium frame revolver fail in a defensive course after only 50 rounds. One time when I was in the National Guard I brought my Colt Combat Commander, an NCO brought his Commander. We let people fire both, every one said they preferred mine.

JDBerg

My favorite metal framed 9mm service pistol (BHP) is out of production. I have 2, I’m working on getting a third, and I know I’ll be spending more than I want to for a decent one. My favorite polymer framed service pistol is my Glock 19X and these are available everywhere, easy & inexpensive to maintain, repair, or modify. I’d rather shoot the BHP’s but the Glocks see more range time lately. They both work for what I want to use them for.

scoobysnacker

As much as I like all metal firearms, I can't help but roll my eyes whenever makes arguments in regards to longevity. Even if a Glock frame will fail within 100 years, what difference does it make? They're easily replaced at negligible cost.

Polymer framed pistols have been around since 1970, that was 50 years ago, and there are still plenty of old H&K VP70s in proper working order, so I can think of no reason to expect tbat the polymer used in more modern designs like the Glock won't last even longer.

Personally, I like metal-framed pistols better because they tend to be better shooters and that's good enough for me.
Well, since I do collect, and my son likes my collection, it does have a bit of interest for me. I've also inherited a few guns. I do want to pass them down when the time comes.

My reluctance to polymer is several-fold; my dad was an engineer in a plastics plant. Plastics etc get old differently than metal does.
I've seen some old antiques (not guns) that LOOK fine, but when you handle them they're brittle and crumble. That would be my greatest concern- no matter how well you take care of it, it will lose resilience and fail within a generation.

Even my cheapest guns have cost over $100, and if I spend money on something "just to have and keep", I want workmanship and knowing it will last 'forever'.

stinkeypete

I think it's crazy to expect a $500 pistol to last through the generations. What else that costs $500 lasts a few generations? Nothing. Your $1000 iPhone is going to be obsolete in 3 years.
My Blackhawk and Bearcat are easily 100 year pistols. I would bet on it.

the advantage of a polymer pistol like the SIG 320 , the receiver is the trigger mechanism not the polymer grip / frame, so you can easily replace the polymer since thats not the part with the seriel number on the SIG P320
2020-06-12-130345.jpghttp:

As a hobby (bubba) gunsmith I have really been curious what an "80% receiver" for a sig 320 would be. The thing is bent metal, a couple of holes and the most difficult thing about it seems to be stamping the serial number on it.

That seems like a big loophole to me. Your thoughts?