What AR round should I try next? Bigger than 5.56.

rickyrick

I’m trying out 450BM, I know there are better long range options out there but since I now live in the dense forest my tastes for ARs have changed. I won’t be shooting anything beyond 50-100 range. I’ve been tossing around a few ideas and came up with 450BM.

Really you’re gonna get answers that are other people’s favorites or pet calibers. There’s nothing wrong with that, it’s good to see what others are doing.

I have .223/5.56, 300AAC and 6.8SPC. I like those so far and leaning towards 6.8 as being my favorite.
300AAC is pretty quiet unsuppressed, especially with subs but even with supers.

If I were still living in west Texas I may shoot for longer range options, but I’m not, so my next trial is the 450BM. I haven’t bought a complete upper in a very long time but I opted for one this time.

Last edited:

wild willy

I’m a 6.8 spc fan.Ten years ago that’s what I would have recommended.But some bullets have been discontinued the cheap gold dot bullets are gone and the relatively cheap ammo is gone.Today I would go with the 6.5 Grendel

Grey_Lion

""something that might be used on occasional pig hunt."" - 2 people said AR-10 / .308 and I entirely agree. For knock down with outstanding ballistics and wide availability, the .308 is one of the best out there especially for taking down a sow at distance. A quality muzzle brake and the recoil isn't any worse than a barbie gun with nothing. I had a chance to fire my friend's AR-10 and, if I had a boar problem, it's what I'd reach for.

drdirk

300 blackout is VASTLY superior to 223 when hunting. I know a lot is written that it's not all that much of an upgrade but having hunted boar and other game for many years with both, the difference is night and day. It's effectively the perfect AR round when your goal is not to carry a war full of ammo with you.

JustJake

Hey all. I'm bored with 5.56, tired of building the same old AR's, thinking of building something bigger. .300 Blackout might be an option but...was thinking maybe .350 Legend? 6.8SPC (if anyone shoots that anymore?) Maybe .450 Bushmaster? I'm looking for ammo that's not going to be TOO expensive or hard to find, need something reliable, parts availability that's not too exotic, something that might be used on occasional pig hunt.
That cartridge already exists. ... It's called the 7.62/.308.

Best platform for it is the AR-10 running SR-25 pattern mags.

You will have no issues.