What am I missing? 243 is frustrating me!

Pomeroy

I had my 243 BAR out the other day trying out some loads. I used the same bullets, the same primers, the same cases, and the same OAL but tried several different powders. There were dramatic differences between powders. I would have to check my records to see which powders it did like but know it did not like IMR 4064 and IMR 4350. I had the same results with 100 grain Hornady pointed soft point and Barnes 85 grain TSX.

I wonder whether the original owner got rid of the rifle because he/she could not get it to shoot right. I have had several rifles that evidently were put on the market for that reason. I had to try a bunch of loads for a Ruger #1 in 7/57 before I got one it liked. My elk rifle, a M70 338 WM, took a good bit of work to undo several things the previous owner had done to try to get it to shoot right. It shoots a whole lot better than I do now. I traded off a M70 in 270 WSM to a friend who traded it off for something else. A M70 in 7mm WSM is still in the tinkering stages but was sold by the first owner because he could not get it as consistent as he demanded for long range shooting. A M700 in 223 that I bought new would not shoot some bullets worth a hoot. I finally found a load it shoots very well.

jackstrawIII

I've seen rifles that need 20+ rounds after cleaning in order to "settle down" into grouping well. Clean barrels don't always shoot well. That could be part of your problem too.

603Country

I can’t see where anyone suggested swapping out the scope. I would definitely do that. I’ve wasted a lot of time and reloads over the years due to bad scopes.

thallub

Bad bedding is the number one cause of erratic groups. The barreled action is moving in the stock.

This^^^^

When i've had accuracy problems with a new to me rifle:

1. Bed the action, including about 1.5" of the barrel.

2. Float the barrel.

Have accomplished those actions with a few dozen different rifles. Only one required the addition of a pressure point about two inches from the fore end tip.

rc

I'm putting this on hold a bit to deal with other things. I don't have an unlimited time to get the gun shooting but will eventually get back around to it:mad:

LAH

I'm going with the importance of bedding. If you are happy with the stock then have someone correctly bed the action or at least inspect the bedding. Regardless it has to be in the stock correctly & will do strange things if it isn't.

HiBC

Another vote that the previous owner did not properly bed the rifle. And,while I have not done a angled screw M-77,I've heard you have to get it right.
While some here disagree,IMO, I free float everything forward of the receiver ring.I don't want anything putting pressure on the barrel.

Another source of fickle shooting rifle is a receiver face that does not rest 100% square,flat and true on the shoulder of the barrel shank.That is the barrel's foundation. Any weakness is a rattle. The scope attaches to the receiver. A rattling barrel won't shoot.

Longshot4

I have found Ruger 77s to be needing some tuning. I have also found the wrong weight-twist can be a problem but not 3". Is it safe to assume 1-10" twist or 1-12". It won't hurt to try a box of 60gr. bullets. I have had many issues with stock fit. Find Spec. Torque and go with it. When ever tourking stock screws place the but on the bench with muzzle up and load action down hard and hold wile torqueing screws. When removing copper fouling use copper solvent and let soak well using a looped eye patched. Read manufacturer recommendations. don't use copper brush use nylon. solvent eats the copper brush. I have found a tight patch works best when slowly pushed through. If patch shows' green repeat process 1 tight patch to remove copper, one to dry. Do your best. When you are happy with clean patch. take your zag and patch with JB compound and run it back and fourth 20 to 40 times. Thurley clean with hoppies removing all the JB from chamber, bore and crown... If that don't help your group we can continue from there. If the bore was a problem I think this will help. be sure to let us know how it comes from there.

Sanch

Good Morning rc,

I watched a shooter at a range shooting an older, stock Sako .243 Win. His groups could have been covered by a coin half-size of a dime.

The .243 Win in a very accurate round. It's a superb North American big game cartridge.

My guess your accuracy problems are caused by your rifle. My advice is to leave it at a smith until it shoots well under MOA.

Sanch

rc,

It's not your bore cleaner. Even worst performing hand loads should shoot MOA. It's not your hand loads. An unbedded rifle should shoot MOA.

As politely as I can convey this, don't throw good money after bad. Sell it.

BTW, the most accurate rifles I have and I've seen fired were Sakos. Mine are more accurate than custom made rifles costing thousands more.

I have no knowledge of the Sako 85. The Sako AV was factory perfection in a rifle.

I know that Sakos cost 2x, up to 3x the price of most other rifles. But you won't have to invest $$$ getting it to shoot well under MOA, and you'll avoid frustration.

I'd rather have once accurate and reliable big game rifle than a dozen that don't measure up. To me as a big game hunter, an inaccurate rifle has no value.

Check out the Sauer 100. It's an entry level rifle that's almost guaranteed to shoot .5 MOA. You can pick one up for about $800.

I'm thinking of buying a copy chambered for .243 Win.

BTW, in my almost half-century of big game hunting, I've heard more complains about Ruger rifles than all other brands combined.

603Country

I don’t agree that each and every rifle will shoot MOA. As for the rifle in question, it might be time for a replacement if you just can’t get it to shoot worth a darn. I recommend a Tikka. They shoot.

And, no offense intended, but the OP said all his other rifles will shoot to 2 MOA, which is nothing to brag about, so I have to wonder if the inaccuracy is actually user error.

Buy some (if you can find it these day) known high quality ammo and hand off gun and ammo to a known good shooter and see what results.

Or buy the Tikka.

Sanch

Hi 603Country,

I get what you've written. The gist is we get what we pay.

I've never fired a Tikka let alone owned one. But every single review of Tikka has been positive. I'm sure Tikka is good for well under MOA out of the box.

I've been lucky with my three big game rifles. All are at least .5 MOA shooters.

rc

I would be thrilled if this 243 shot 2 minute of angle without much trouble. There is a world of difference in skill between 2 moa and 8+. Always easy to attack a shooter's skill as the problem if you haven't shot the gun yourself and experienced the frustration personally. My identical 308 is a 2 inches and under gun with 150 grain Federal Premium from the bench. Eventually I will get back to shooting the rifle but right now I have other things to worry about.

Biggs300

It sounds like you are doing a lot of cleaning. Try not cleaning your rifle for a while. I have one rifle, not a Ruger, that doesn't shoot worth crap until the barrel is dirty. On that rifle, I don't clean it until I put in in the safe for the season. And then, I only use a bore snake after a quick shot of Hoppes or Ballistol.

603Country

That was me with that question about ‘user error’. No offense intended. Let me mention a recent gun buy of mine. I bought an AR in 5.56, put a new scope on it, and started loading for it. Accuracy was awful and seemingly random - bullets here and there with no discernible pattern. Swapped out the scope and the randomness went away, but groups were still 1 1/2 to 2”. Bought a new scope and went back to loading and shooting, with the thought that I just haven’t found the right powder/bullet combo, though I tried many powders and bullets. Could not improve the groups. I called the CEO of the gun maker about it. He said it met Mil Spec, which was 1 1/2” groups. Well...Ok. I bought a new barrel that had an accuracy guarantee and now it shoots great.

If you like the rifle, consider a new barrel.

At the risk of starting a Ruger bashing episode, what I described above was very similar to what I went through with a new Ruger Hawkeye in 223 some years ago. It shot to MOA approximately, but I wanted better. New barrel is now on it, and it shoots really great. And, believe it or not, I had scope problems with it too.

603Country

Then 1.5 MOA meets MilSpec. But it didn’t meet my expectations. Shoots good now, with that new Seekins Precision barrel.