What a horrible time to buy a gun!!!!!!!!!!

pittspilot

IT is amazing that everyone and thier brother/sister, ran out and bought a gun after 9/11. I went out to buy a stubby revolver for my birthday, and the selection at all the stores was terrible, and no one was dealing.

The upside, is that all the manufacturers are ramping up, and when the demand plummets again (maybe) then there should be deals. Also, it will be a great time to look out for used bargains. "3 Months old, Never been shot" type of thing.

Is this true all over the country? or is it merely a California thing. The sheep got scared when they realized there are some not nice people in the world.

Oh, by the way, for those that know me, I am safely at law school, in pure Liberal Hell, Davis, California.:barf:

Shake

Gunshops around my area have been unbelievably busy. I've gone in a couple of time and just been shocked at how busy they are.

I don't know how many are buying, but people sure are looking.

Shake

Bam Bam

Gunstores I have browsed in have been busy. Aimsurplus seems to have sold out of all their rifles but the SAR-2. Looks like folks are stocking up for a cataclysm.

boing

Haven't noticed much turnover in gun sales at my dealer's shop, but his indoor range has been very busy lately, and CCW classes are larger. Those that already have guns are boning up on their skills.

KPS

I went into my local shop yesterday(1st time since 9/11) and was amazed at how little stock they had.The only handguns left were S&W and many of his AR's have been sold.Prices seemed a little higher too.It was a full house though.I had to squeeze by lots of people.

RWK

However . . .

Every one of those post-11 September new handgun purchasers represents an opportunity to concert a neutral or an anti to a pro RKBA partisan.

JoeHatley

Here in Omaha the shops are a lot busier than usuall, with a lot of new faces. Dealer stock is turning over more quickly, but not dramatically so. Shooting ranges are a little more crowded, and self defence classes are filling faster.

Joe

jimmy

Glocks are hard to find in my area. Last week the local gunshop got in a new G27. The owner said his wholesalers had only G27s and G29s in stock (he passed on the G29). Prices are up $20 per gun as a result (from $509 to $529).

Also, he's sold all of his AKs, all but one of his ARs, and most of his Mini-14s.

Logistar

It seemed that local dealers here in Louisville had almost nothing in stock following 9/11 but it seems to be returning to normal now. Also, CCW classes seem to be filling up more quickly.

I DID purchase a 9mm semi-auto (got it as it came off the truck!) about three weeks ago but when I asked for a box of 9mm Lugar ammo, they were completely OUT -all brands. Again, I don't see much of a problem right now.

Lionheart

Pitts,

There is no such thing as a bad time to buy a gun.
That's a corollary to: A man can never have too many guns.

Glad to hear you're in law school. Just carry your ear plugs from the range to class when you need to survive the liberal harangue. You don't have any profs like Alan Dershowitz, do you?
Any chance you'll specialize in Second Amendment cases? Thought about going to law school myself and doing that in my retirement. Pro bono of course.

As for gun sales, I mentioned on another thread that Ruger stock recently hit a new high. Has pulled back a bit since then, though.

:)

denfoote

Quote from Boing

Haven't noticed much turnover in gun sales at my dealer's shop, but his indoor range has been very busy lately, and CCW classes are larger. Those that already have guns are boning up on their skills.

Not at at my range/gunshop. I have watched people who, to look at them, would never own a gun, slapping that plastic down, counting that cash, draining their checking account, buying guns!!! They are signing up for the CCW classes too!!! I can't hardly get on a range and I'm a member!!! Oh, and the supply of Glock 19's is dry here!!! Makes me glad I got mine when I did. :)

pittspilot

I do want to do Law that relates to Conservative Causes

That includes second amendment stuff.

I am actually beginning to look for summer employment and will look for anything that is 2nd Amendment related

Oh, and Lion Heart, I have professors here that make Dershowitz look like Cooper or Savage. Its nuts I tell you.

M1911

In Massachusetts, you must have a license (either License to Carry or Firearms ID card) before you can buy a gun. Before you can apply for either of those, you have to take a safety course. I'm an NRA certified instructor and I can tell you that the demand for safety classes has gone up significantly since 9/11.

At the beginning of the class, I ask each student why they are taking the class -- what do they want a gun for? In the past, the students always said target shooting. None of them would admit to wanting a gun for self defense, though I suspect many/most of them did. In my first class after 9/11, all of my students said, without any hesitation, they wanted a gun for home defense.

I've spoken to several other instructors and they have also seen demand increase.

Here in the capital of political correctness, a bunch of folks have have seen their fantasy world of suburban security, where everyone is "good", explode in flames. All of sudden they've realized that there are evil men in this world, that evil men do evil things, and they won't stop unless you make them.

M1911

jaysouth

Pittspilot,

I hope you're right about a glut of cheap, fairly new used guns being on the market in three months, but I'm still waiting for glut of y2k generators to hit the market. I thought that by March or April, 00, there would be a glut of cheap home generators on the market, slightly used, but it has'nt happened yet.

I do notice, however, an increase in the number of female employees expressing a desire to learn how to shoot a gun, just in case, and perhaps get one, just in case.

Since 9/11 I have sent two employees to CCW class and paid for an introductory range day with an instructor to help them select a personal choice in a personal protection firearm. I normally get about two to three requests a year from employees to learn how to use a gun. Usually younger makes. I used to try to do the instruction myself, but found that a third party professional instructor does a better job.

I agree with an earlier poster on this thread that the recent events have produced an attitude that makes everyone realize that they personally bear some responsiblity for therir own safety.

shoot often, shoot safely

Jay

Mithirium

Davis or Berkeley Light :barf:
They are quite possibly the only place that is jealous of the real berkeley's notoriety. I did some undergrad there ( it wasn't so bad? :eek: )
My wife is thinking about Law School there too, what are your thoughts? I doubt anybody from Davis is running out to buy guns.

jeepCJ

My personal views

At my shop the handgun sales have tripled and the long guns have doubled since 9/11. I am not a large dealer so mine might not be typical. I have picked up a few "unusual" things that I would not have been interested in 2 months ago.....
FWIW,

Dave:D

BMWGS80

I work in a gun store in middle Tennessee. Post 911 we sold out of Ruger Mini-30s, Riot guns, ARs, AKs, and all ammo for them. By Wensday the next week we were able to restock all of the above.

We also buy and trade guns. The used case was so full we could not find room to display them all. The case is now almost empty.

The trend was mainly for first time buyers more than 80 % women. Most of the rest were men that had received permission from thier significant others to buy. Gun classes here have more than doubled in size. Some of them have never heard of a magazine capacity ban. They think they can get those hollywood guns that shoot a lot of bullits.

If we sold gas masks we could have more than doubled our sales.

We are also on the cusp of deer season so that has also added to the volume.

I am lucky that our store has more stock than most of the other gun stores I have seen thoughout the country. We also have more variety than anyone else around us.

It is good to sell to never evers but sure takes a long time to explain different calibers and action types.

Also a note to all non gun enthusiast cops. The glock is NOT the only gun to have. Some people need a manual safty and some can handle a revovler better.

Buy more guns, take your friends shooting, Convert the unarmed. It is job security for me and makes the bad guys think twice about commiting a crime.

Cheers,

ts

ATTICUS

I went to the local gun shop over lunch today to pick up some slugs and buckshot. They keep the buckshot behind the counter, so I had to wait for service. There were about ten customers ahead of me (11:20am Tues.) so it took about fifteen minutes to get waited on. I checked out their inventory while I waited, and saw no more than two or three military style semi auto rifles in stock, which is realy unusual for this place- unheard of actually. Not a single M1A, AK, or FAL in sight, only a few heavy barrel target type AR's. People are definately stocking up.