What .22 To Get?

P-990

I am looking at a bit of a problem right now. You see, I have a girlfriend who enjoys to go shooting with me (no, that's NOT the problem). So far she has fired my father's 10/22T, my 20ga 870 and my 629-1 .44 Magnum. The issue is, her hands are barely big enough for shoot the .44 two-handed (well, mine aren't quite big enough either).

After plinking away 300-350 rounds with my father's Ruger MkII this afternoon, I finally decided I need to get a .22 pistol. This will give the GF more involvement in shooting with me, as it won't be too big and intimidating or fatiguing. But I haven't decided which one to get! This is where I need some input from personal experiences.

First contender: Ruger Mk II. I know this pistol practically inside and out, am probably one of a handleful of people in the world who can disassemble and reassemble one (even detail stripping) WITHOUT consulting the Book of Vulgarity, I know it is a dead-reliable design and it is pretty accurate and can be given a good trigger. Con: They don't make 'em anymore, which is a bummer. :( I know there is the MkIII, which I realize is very, very similar, but it just isn't a MkII. Of course, I could find a used MkII for less than 2 bills, which is cool.

Other contenders and my thoughts:
Walther P-22: Don't know much about these, other than the couple I've handled and shot feel like mini Barbie-toys, which would be a bonus for the GF. But I know of one guy who fired one about 10k rounds or so and had to send his in for repair or replacement from Walther because it started to fall apart. This makes me hesitant, as the source is reliable.

Browning Buckmark: Haven't handled one of these in person. They're supposedly nice pistols, but I have no opinion pro or con.

Sig Trailside: Do they even make these still? I saw one or two at a couple of the local gunshops a few years ago. Again, not something I have a pro or con opinion of, but I recall hearing and reading that they shoot really well.

That's about all I can think of for right now. Any other suggestions and personal experience is greatly welcomed. Thanks in advance all.

Gixerman1000

I have a 6-7/8" Ruger Mark II Competition Target (slab side) and a 4" Browning Buck Mark standard, both are great shooters and very reliable.

RugerMarkIICompetitionTarget.jpg

BuckMarkmicro.jpg

I also have a 5.5" S&W model 41 that I hope to get out of lay-away this weekend, the 41's are awesome pistols but they are a bit pricey with a MSRP of $1062 and an average store price of around $850 to $950.

(Pic from S&W's web site)
130511_large.jpg

Peter M. Eick

87t.jpg

Beretta 87t is a good choice. The target on the right is me just plinking 50 shots at 15 yards offhand a very quick pace. Fun gun, accurate, reliable and just a blast to shoot. I sold my MK1 a while back and got this to replace it. I definately "traded up".

Te Anau

I'd pass on the Walther for sure and consider a Beretta neos first.Women love their feel in their hand.

chris in va

I'm gonna take this thread off a different tangent.

Skip the .22. More often than not, women seem to really enjoy shooting something with a punch to it, especially if they're ah...less girly.

Case in point, my female friend shot my Ruger 22 a few times and immediately got bored with it. "It doesn't do anything. Feels like a capgun". Broke out the CZ 9mm, suddenly there was a smile and a high-five headed my way. Once she hit a pressurized 2 liter bottle of soda with a JHP, it was all I could do to get it back in my holster.

So, you may want to consider a 9mm or even 45 for bigger fun factor. Can't really recommend the .40, none of my friends enjoy it.

EDIT: Also look at a Ruger SP101. It would fit her hands great, and milder recoil than a 9mm unless 357's resided in the cylinder.

DBski

which 22

I traded a Buckmark for a Ruger Mk111 Hunter plus some $. I liked the Browning, but like the Ruger a whole lot better.

P-990

Thanks for the replies so far.

I have a Glock 17, so I could have her try the 9mm sometime. Again the issue I fear isn't strength (though I suspect she won't be able to rack the slide) or ability to handle recoil, but hand size. I forgot to mention earlier, she HAS fired my .44 a few times (with .44 Specials, of course).

I'm wanting to get something that I can use alot as well as teaching her the fundamentals without getting her too tired after only a handful of rounds, hence the .22. Being a competition rifle shooter myself (NRA Highpower), I really find it necessary to drill the correct basics in in a comfortable manner, as well as finding time to perforate balloons, soda cans, milk jugs, pumpkins and lollipops.

Keep the ideas coming. I'll have to check out a Neos.

sjstill

I have a Walther P-22 I got for my wife. We both like it. I see a lot of them where I work (Pistol Range) in both men's and women's hands. Some have problems, some don't. Ours, the roll pin above the safety likes to walk out. No biggie, just push it back over. Have seen others that run 100% right out of the box.

Saw a SIG Mosquito last week that wouldn't work for diddly, another guy had one later that day that ran fine.

I have a Buckmark Field Target. Love it. Grips might be too large for most female hands, though. The standard 5.5" with the rubber grips fit most folks, though.

Got my wife a Ruger 22/45. Like it too.

Have a dedicated Ciener .22 kit on an old 1911 frame, lots of fun.

S&W 22A-1 and it is hands down my favorite. Got it new for 186.00.

Also bought my wife a CZ75 Compact and a Glock 30. She likes them both.

Her favorite? Marlin Camp 9 carbine. Had to cut 2" off the stock for her. :rolleyes:

Had a couple girls come to the range one rainy Sunday. Thought we rented guns (we don't). I let them shoot our 22's anyway (they bought a 550 round box of ammo from me), and they had a ball. Neither had shot before. That S&W was pretty much their favorite, too.

Short version - 22's are fun, 9's are fine, too.

Jeeper

I really think that the smiths like the one above are the nicest. They are also very pricey. I won a cheap smith at a match and it is kind of crappy. My order would be

Smith
Ruger
Browning
Sig
Colt

LH2

I enjoyed my MkII 6-7/8" Target model, sold it in a foolish moment. I must say though, I think my next .22 pistol will be a Browning. The triggers are better and takedown is easier. Can't go wrong with either one, love the cheap-to-shoot and fun nature of .22's.

gfen

I'm getting my wife involved in shooting, now, and she's starting to enjoy it more and more, however, she has no desire to shoot anything but .22lr.

I've tried by letting her try a few centerfire rounds, she had 0 interest.

We bought her a .22 single action pistol, as it appealed to her. She's very much into firearms by the look of them, I won't argue if she enjoys the hobby. However, she finds that its weight gets to be a bit much at the hour mark. Now we're on the hunt for a lightweight semi-auto.

She's taken by the Buck Mark Challenger. Its light, visually appealing, and a quality firearm. She finds the Ruger mk3 pistols way too heavy.

You may want to take the lady out and have her heft a few. :)

+1 on the "other than a 22" idea. My fiancee can tear up a target w/ a 9mm subbie. The Springfield XD-9 subbie fits perfectly in her smaller hands. I'm sure the .40 caliber subbie would, too. May I suggest renting an XD subbie sometime and having her test one out in her hands? Darn nice guns, quality, reliability. Decent price tag. And a TON of fun to shoot!

Majic

With you knowing quite a bit about the MkII and having good experiences with one why look at anything else?

clt46910

I agree with Majic...unless you are wanting to explore other types of firearms, why not stick with what you know best for now?

Mark54g

I second the Beretta Neos. It has a good feel to it, and it is VERY easy to disassemble. It would be easier for her to figure it out, strip and clean her own gun than something that requires, as you said, a "book of vulgarity" :).

My wife likes mine, but then again, she thinks I don't need another gun......

P-990

Mark54g,
It is not just a book of vulgarity, but THE Book of Vulgarity. My dad doesn't know that I am going to print and copyright it! :p Comes in handy with firearms, motorcycles, wood working and many other of life's little happenstances.

I may have to check the Beretta Neos out. I notice that it has an integral rail, and the sights don't ride on the breech block (bolt?) like some other pistols I've seen with similar operating systems. Honestly, it has potential. The rail would be cool for mounting a small red dot or similar heads-up device, or even a small scope.

But of course, there is always the new Mark III, which comes with the rail ready to attach. Decisions... :confused:

jake9

The Sig Mosquito looks cool and should be worth considering. I've heard that the early problems have been worked out by now, but I've never shot one.

Mikeyboy

I alway recommed the MKII but your right that is a pain to take reassemble. Have you considered a .22 revolver?? I'm getting my wife a .22 SW j-frame