What 1911, .45 ACP magazines to buy?

hammie

What brand of extra magazines do you recommend for my recently purchased colt gold cup and remington R11?

This question was prompted by a current thread lamenting that kimber only provides one magazine, and the increasing availability of aftermarket 1911 magazines. What should I consider? Mec-Gar, Metalform, Ed Brown, Chip McCormick (CMC), Wilson, factory or other? I noticed that Wilson's and CMC's are popular, but which models are best? The Wilson ETM or combat, or CMC shooting star or power mag? Someone suggested WWII surplus, but where do you even find those anymore and would they need new springs?

I realize that there will probably be as many different opinions as responses, but that's OK. I value everyone's experience and perspective and will appreciate any help.

RickB

I've been shooting 1911s enthusiastically for only about twenty years. I was in your boat, circa 1992. I bought one example each of the popular 8-rounders (at that time, Wilson, McCormick, and Mag-Pack), and decided on McCormick. The first set of Shooting Star mags were good, but the springs needed replacing every couple of years. I replaced them with Power Mags, and those ran with no problems for years.
When a new player came on the high-performance 1911 mag market a few years ago, they were looking for help. They sought out LEO and competition shooters, and incorporated their suggestions into the mags. Stronger springs, basepad material reformulated to better withstand impacts, tighter tolerances, etc.
A group at my IDPA club would use sample mags, send feedback, and get mags modified to address our issues within a couple of months. More tests, more improvements. The final production version of the mag is at least as good as anything made by anybody, and much better than most.
I've retired my McCormicks, ACT-MAGs, Metalforms, and use nothing but Check-Mate Industries mags. They are OEM suppliers to Colt, Kimber, Nighthawk Custom, and others, so you may have some Check-Mate mags, already.
For general use, I like the extended-tube 8-rounders: http://www.checkmatemagazines.com/cart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=12&idproduct=112
I think Check-Mate is the only maker of quality, milspec 7-rounders: http://www.checkmatemagazines.com/cart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=11&idproduct=27

The Wilson mag that I bought twenty years ago? It's been fully-loaded since 1992, and gets tested for function every couple of years. It's still feeding great, and still won't lock-back the slide on my Colt. :)

hammie

@RickB: Thanks for the detailed information and for the links. A few years back, I got a springfield armory , .38 super. It came with one Mec-Gar and I bought extra shooting stars, simply because that's what the gun shop had. A lot of people seem to like Wilsons and McCormicks. Edit: Just visited checkmate. I like the blued 7 round GI magazines.

@RockDTMC: Welcome to the firing line. I've been in the shooting sports for 50 years, but I always learn something here and have some fun. Good members and moderators at this forum.

Last edited:

Fishbed77

I like Chip McCormick Power Mags best.

Wilson 47Ds are great too, but the Chip McCormick mags are every bit as good and usually cost a bit less.

kerreckt

I have had success with Mec-Gar magazines in every pistol I have used them. This includes several model 1911 .45acp pistols.

Kreyzhorse

You can't go wrong with Chip McCormick. Wilson are more expensive but I can't say that they are more reliable than McCormick mags.

BombthePeasants

I'm an enthusiastic user of Checkmate magazines. I really appreciated their customer service efforts when their name was getting dragged through the mud after they built magazines for the Defense Department, to DoD specs, and they kept failing (all due to the specs being lousy). I bought 2 of their 8 rounders with the flush bottom, and they are awesome; they never fail.

hammie

@Bombthepeasants: I hadn't heard of checkmates before today. (see...you can always learn something here.) At the beginning of this thread, I was leaning towards wilson combats, but I think I may try the checkmates: probably the blued, 7 round. Through the years, 7 round magazines have seemed more trouble free than 8 rounders for me, and maybe blued steel is less prone to feed lip spreading than stainless due to the differences in metallurgy.

I don't have much experience with MegGars. However, my Springfield Armory, .38 super and my beretta 21-A, came from the factory with mec-gars and they both work fine with those magazines.

Polinese

I have some of the 7rd springfield magazines and love them for the cost. Have had zero problems with them so far and they're dirt cheap. Follower seems kinda gritty as it goes down the mag though... but have yet to have a problem function wise with them.

Nathan

I prefer Checkmate or Wilson. Wilson seems to be more ready to go, but after some break in, that smooths out.

Checkmates have the dimple follower, if you buy the right one.

longhair75

There is a guy that always has a table at one of the gun shows I attend every year. He sells an assortment of spare parts and cleaning accessories. He also sells generic 7 round 1911 mags. They have no factory markings and are just simple blued steel. Last year, he sold them three for twenty five dollars. he year before they were three for twenty dollars. I own two dozen of these mags, and so far have had no failures.

I carry my Colt Defender with the factory supplied mag, but I use these generics in both my Defender and my SR 1911 at the range.

KyJim

I hadn't heard of checkmates before today
Checkmate makes mags for many 1911 manufacturers who stamp their own names on the mags, including Colt. Look at the bottom of your Colt mag and see if it has the letter "C." If so it is from Checkmate ("M" is from Metalform).

I usually tell people to buy what works in their pistols. There are so many different manufacturers of both 1911 pistols and 1911 mags, that sometimes a name brand mag doesn't work in a name brand 1911.

hammie

@Kyjim: I'll be darned. I just checked 3 of my colt magazines and there was a "c" on the base plates. Sure enough! Now I know.