Went to the range today.

Doc Hoy

Main mission was to build a shooting stand.

I actually built the thing in my driveway and designed it to be broken down with fourteen bolts. Threw the whole thing in the back of my pickup and put it back together at the range.

The tarp comes home with me. The target stand and chair stay with the shooting stand.

Last edited:

Doc Hoy

Took along four firearms today...

First one was the 1877 Colt clone from Belgium. Shoots okay with the smokeless .38 S&W rounds. I shot fifty rounds and was able to keep them pretty well inside four inches at fifteen yards once I got used to the thing.

Next was the .45-70 Springfield trapdoor conversion I just finished. Shoots surprisingly well given the condition of the bore. I will give y'all a better report when I get used to it too. Only shot twenty rounds.

Burned off some of the .357 rounds I have loaded some time ago. These are the rounds which were giving me terrible consistency. My own fault. I know I made a mistake loading these rounds.

Finally took along the new RIA 1911 GI. This is the wrong forum for that pistol so I won't tell you it shot just like the Springfields I shot in the Navy. Nor will I tell you how much it brought back memories.

Doc Hoy

Birch

It weighs about 400 pounds with the pillow blocks. Cost 160.00 in materials.
It is pretty over designed. But is should last.

Doc Hoy

SSM

Well.... It ain't my field and even if I did I wouldn't have any desire to know what is there.

I did try to shine it today to pick up my .45 ACP cases. Shot fifty rounds and lost about half of them in the grass. (Forgot to take along my case catch tarp.) Its always something.

Doc Hoy

Serious answer to the question

Some hunters take small deer out of the scrub behind the property. There is also the occasional bear, also small. I don't hunt so, my main concern is staying off the property during hunting season.

Beagle333

The first shooting stand with a Bimini top! Nice Doc, I need one of those for my backyard range. Pretty spiffy! :)

Doc Hoy

Thanks guys...

I had thought about a permanent roof for the thing but when you put a roof on it, three things happen.

1. You have to start worrying about what a high wind might do to it.

2. The supporting structure for the roof (I was thinking corrugated plastic) has to be more extensive and consequently more expensive.

3. In addition, if something bad happens in the structure, it is a whole lot easier for a lawyer to call it a house. The property owner might take on additional legal exposure if the persons using it are inside of a house which was intended for shooting. This is an indication that the owner condoned and hence sanctioned the shooting event. Might even turn the property into a "range" requiring substantial additional insurance and control under city codes.

BirchOrr

Doc...

I'm a carpenter by trade (and a darned good one I might add) :D and I didn't think you "over-built" it at all. Looked well thought out, mobile, and maybe an hour to set up? Like you say, I like the tarp. Some days may not need it. Another day, maybe to keep the sun or rain away long enough to finish up shooting and get things put away.

I Like it! :cool:

Birch

Doc Hoy

Setting it up.

I had been texting the owner about bringing the thing down to set it up. Told him when I would be arriving.

When I got there he hopped in the truck and directed me as to where he wanted it set up. (1000 feet from the road). As I had the stuff all offloaded and the pillow blocks in place he walked the distance back to his house and made a pot of coffee. When he returned with a cup of coffee the stand was finished accept for bolting the last two diagonal supports in place and rigging the tarp.

Total about forty minutes.

Question: Why is it only large enough for one shooter?

Answer: I like shooting alone.

BirchOrr

I hear ya...

... I shoot alone myself. Like you, I'm always workin on a shootin iron and need to get it done. I can't work the kinks out as well with others around. Too many distractions.

:rolleyes:

BirchOrr

44 Dave

I shoot from my shooting bench (indoors) to targets outdoors. Everyone doesn't have that luxury though...

Burn powder,

:cool:

Birch

shortwave

Nice setup Doc.
Are ya gonna put a coat or three of stain on her?

You could just stand in the bed of the truck, shoot from the roof and wear a wide brim sombrero.

And don't forget to put some kind of blanket on the roof and hood.

Powder burns/residue are not enjoyable when found on the paint of a brand new pickup.
Ask me how I know! :eek: