Well this is really special... New app for tracking gunowners...

Dixie Gunsmithing

Moderator Emeritus
I forgot to add, one can use Google maps to find places like government buildings. churches, Wal-Mart, and about every resident living in Hollywood Hills to tag.

Also, if someone lists you, and then you are a victim of a robbery, due to being listed as a gun owner, you can sue the one who listed you, for the damage, along with the criminal who did it. Being a member of Google+ would make the lister easier to find. This is a good case of where the SCOTUS says there is a limit to the 1st Amendment.

Update: I just sent off a complaint to the Ohio Attorney General, asking for him to seek an injunction against the app, and Google, and then bring suit for any damages this may have caused. I urge anyone on here to do the same.

Last edited:
Yep, might as well just sue Al Gore for inventing the internet. :rolleyes:

If a lister can be sued for posting a location that gets burgled or robbed, then people who post unarmed neighbor signs can get sued as can all the folks posting locations so as to just screw up the system as noted by sigcurious. Wait a minute! Everyone can get sued.

Of course, that is the way it has been here in the states for a long time for so many things.

Dixie Gunsmithing

Moderator Emeritus
Google Play isn't really behind this.

They're simply providing the venue through which it can be downloaded.

After all the complaints to Google, and threats of legal action in the replies to to the app, they had left it up the last I saw. That could lead to anyone being targeted for a robbery, assault, or have their home vandalized. If Google was warned, beforehand, then they can be brought in on the suit for damages. You know yourself how easy it is to bring suit against anyone, but making it stick is something else. However, I think the state can seek an injunction on this, forcing it to be pulled. Like I mentioned, SCOTUS said there was a limit to 1st Amendment rights, if it caused a crime. Especially right now, after a certain court case ended yesterday, and we have a bunch of lunatics that might act out over it.

I know some elderly gentlemen who have some pretty good size collections, and I doubt they could fight off someone, even with a gun, to be honest, and I would hate to see something happen to them, or myself, over this.

Anyone can make a complaint to their states Attorney General, and it is up to them to investigate this, and do something with it, if it has a chance of causing crime against a citizen of the state, and we don't have to be the ones to bring suit.

Here is the Washington Times article on it for any interested:

http://communities.washingtontimes.com/neighborhood/citizen-warrior/2013/jul/9/new-android-app-tracks-gun-owners-addresses/

Last edited:

sigcurious

Dixie, you're grasping at straws. To hold vendors responsible for selling items which are in themselves not harmful (we're not talking about a vendor knowing it's selling a desk lamp with faulty wiring that electrocutes people and starts fires) is ridiculous. It's not the item that is harmful, its the manner in which people might, and heavy emphasis on the might, use it. By that logic, all vendors should be sued for selling products that might be used by criminals. Gee, that criminal was wearing sneakers, better go sue the shoe store. :rolleyes:

Dixie Gunsmithing

Moderator Emeritus
sigcurious,

I'm just saying that it can be done, and has been in other cases. I would be satisfied with the AG seeking an injunction to be placed on the program ajnd programmer himself, but you always ask them to do more than you can live with, and that way they might appease you by doing part of it, especially if they get enough complaints.

Remember when they started trying to sue the gun manufacturers, and all the suits filed against the auto makers? The government stepped in to stop the suits against the gun makers though. It really does happen all the time, and people sue at the drop of a hat. When I was working in the engineering department of a local mining equipment manufacturer, we were sued several times, always somebody getting hurt, and blaming the company. I look at it this way, they wanted to sue the gun makers, so I can turn it back around on the gun grabbers too.

sigcurious

You're not just saying it could be done, you're advocating it, trying to get others on board and trying to hold google accountable.

lets not forget Google is behind this, as it is under "Google Play".
I just sent off a complaint to the Ohio Attorney General, asking for him to seek an injunction against the app, and Google, and then bring suit for any damages this may have caused. I urge anyone on here to do the same.
I look at it this way, they wanted to sue the gun makers, so I can turn it back around on the gun grabbers too.

Emphasis mine.

Wreck-n-Crew

After all the complaints to Google, and threats of legal action in the replies to to the app, they had left it up the last I saw.

They also leave up apps like Wal-Mart (we now how many political enemies they have) and apps for finding ammunition as well as the LGS.

Seems they are just staying neutral from what I see.

LOL, I took my daughter to an acting class at an "acting studio" today. Darned it the place wasn't flagged with the message of "Poor Training." I drove around the block thinking that maybe the flag was for some other business, but it wasn't. I have no idea what that means, but I had to laugh. As an app goes, such notes don't convey any sort of real information, nor does not listing the name of the business or person that is indicated.

Famas

If I'm not mistaken, was there not a recent publication by a New Jersey newspaper which made public a map showing where all gun owners in that state lived? I believe a pro-RKBA individual responded by publishing the addresses of all the reporters of that newspaper. Sounds like something similar should be done in this case.

craZivn

Take a look at the "Gunfree Geo Marker" app, shows up in a search for the Gun Geo Marker app and is a great point made.

It has four-and-a-half stars to Gun Geo Marker's one!

EDIT: I found an app called Safetocarry, looks very new but has great potential. It's simply an app where we can mark businesses which allow guns and ones that don't, so we don't have to leave our weapons in the car when we shop or eat. Just thought I'd mention it here to spread the word.

They also have a website which, also, looks very new.

Ivan

Last edited:

TXAZ

At least it isn't available in IOS :D

As far as the "New York Journal" publishing their map, http://www.lohud.com/interactive/ar...1011/Map-Where-gun-permits-your-neighborhood-

I believe they have since removed the interactive maps but the high level maps are there. I understand from a relative who works at the parent company Gannett, that a few people threatened to publish employee addresses, but the clincher for pulling it was an overseas email offering to provide the credit reports and bank account access of the managing staff to the world should they continue, with samples.

Wouldn't it be nice if we could all play nice together?

natman

What would happen if this exact same app was released encouraging people to mark the locations of [insert ethnic / religious group of your choice here]?

How well would that go down?